IGNORED

Anyone have sources for statistics on number of US Fundies

salex

Anyone know how I can find info on how widespread some of these practices are in the usa

Courtship/ie, parents choosing spouse

no birthcontrol preached, practiced/ quiverfull

anti woman preaching/beliefs promoted/believed

If there is any info on how many actively work toward dominionist rule.

It seems to be more widepread than it used to be, and I would like to know if it is a big problem or if I'm just a bit paranoid?

I have no idea of the statistics or where to find them - but i think one problem you'll run into is if you are looking , for example, at no birth control - well the massive Catholic Church officially preaches against it, but the vast majority of members practice birth control.

Southern Baptist theology seems fairly anti-woman leadership - but Hilary Clinton is a Southern Baptist.

I think what I'm trying to say is that except for the small, creepy, hard-core fundamentalist sects /practices I think it will be hard to find a significant correlation between what is preached and what is practiced.

You might try the book, "Quiverfull" by Kathryn Jacobs:

http://www.amazon.com/Quiverfull-Inside ... quiverfull

I don't remember that there were stats within, but you may find some sources you can run down.

There is also a book called "Handbook of Denominations in the United States" that's pretty regularly updated, and each denominational summary talks of positions regarding the issues of interest to you.

I doubt there are any statistics, as I don't know of any full-scale research project regarding dominionism or patriarchy having been done.

One thought is to view the public US Census Bureau statistics -- I think it is asked about religious affiliation, but cannot remember.

You could also try searching Christianity Today magazine's archives online, or their sister publication, Christian History.

The General Social Survey (GSS) might have some questions that would be useful, probably moreso for the birth control issue:

http://www3.norc.org/gss+website/

I was going to suggest the GSS as well. You could come up with a set of question answers that correlate highly with "fundie-ness" -- for example, finding it "very important" to follow church teachings or believing that evolution is "definitely not true" -- and create estimates from there. (I don't know if the data allow you to identify people who, say, have answered eight or more questions out of ten a certain way, though; I've only ever used the GSS for basic statistics.)

Archived