IGNORED

House of Cards (Netflix)

ceg045

Anyone watching this? It's a new "Netflix Original Series" based on a novel and BBC series from the early 90s of the same name. The entire 13-episode first season was released over the weekend.

The West Wing is probably my favorite TV series of all time, and this is the antithesis of it--all about the seedy, sleazy underbelly of politics, but I'm really enjoying it. It's sort of a mixture of the setting of TWW (modern US/DC politics) with the darkness and pessimism of a show like Mad Men or Breaking Bad.

I started last night. They seem to adhere a bit too closely to the BBC version so I know what is going to happen. It wpuld be nice if everyone in it wasnt hot. Is washington really that beautiful?

I've just heard of it. I've watched a few episodes of West Wing. Which do you think is better?

I think it really depends on what kind of show you're looking for. If you're looking for a show that's pretty feel-good and optimistic about government (and IMHO, a bit better quality in terms of writing), go with TWW. If you're looking for something that's darker, a little more drama filled, House of Cards is a good choice. If it makes sense, HoC reminds me of a longer movie, where you can feel that all the "action" is building up to a climax, whereas TWW feels more like a traditional TV show, where there are storylines that come and go over the course of a season or seasons and not everything is relevant to a season/series finale. I enjoy them both, just for different reasons.

• 3 weeks later...

I have both the British and American one on my Neflix que. I think the American one will be decent, unlike when they tried to do the US version of Coupling which was horrible.

I just finished the first season and loved it. I agree that's it's a much darker show than The West Wing. Can't wait for Season 2.

There are three BBC versions. I watched them on Masterpiece, and they were fantastic. I think Ian Richardson is much better than Kevin Spacey. I "got" his charisma and how people could believe him. With Spacey, it is like watching a horror movie sometimes and you want to say "Run! Get out! Get out of the house NOW!!!"

Do you know how many episodes it was? Netflix has 12 eps of the BBC version, but I know they often do those short, 3 or 4-show seasons.

• 6 months later...

Haven't seen the BBC version, but just barreled through the American version in a few days. Spacey knocks it out of the park. Just...Spacey rules. Wright and Stoll are utterly excellent, too. Love the fact that Fincher directed the first few episodes and brought in his pet editor, Kirk Baxter...that is like a film nerd's orgasm right there. If I liked this so much, then your recommendations for the BBC series have really piqued my curiosity...to the Internet!

• 2 months later...

Guys guys the season 2 trailer is up and it's coming February 14th and I'm melting here. SO MUCH AWESOME.

Seriously, this is a better Valentine's Day gift than like eight boyfriends.

jFhJjCmYi1M

• 2 months later...

So, Season 2 is out. I assume most of you haven't had the chance to complete it (I haven't), so let's keep light on spoilers, but I just finished Episode 1 and HOLY CRAP. That is all.

Archived