IGNORED

"The Americans" on FX

Joan of Snarc

Anybody watch the new Cold War spy show "The Americans" on FX this week? I liked it. The male lead, Matthew Rhys, was badass and totally defrauding me -- just the way I like it -- the entire time. I really liked his disguises, especially when he beat up that perv who was picking up young girls at the mall. There was more sex than violence, which I'm totally down with. I liked the '80s music too. Using Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk" in the beginning worked really well, I thought. Anybody else watch?

matthew-rhys_zps0c43812f.jpg

yummy_zps2f338b72.jpg

Oh yeah, the female lead, Keri Russell, she was okay too.

I watched it last night on the DVR and really liked it. The only complaint I have is that some of the scenes were hard to follow because they were too dark. I don't know if it was just my TV or what.

I think this show will become my new must see show. My goodness Matthew Rhys. Those eyes, those lips, those hands! :whistle: *wildy fanning self* And the writing is pretty darn good as well. I grew up during the tail end of the cold war and remember when the USSR fell. The show (and the music) are bringing back lots of fond memories on my childhood.

Some parts were definately hard to watch. The assult obviously but I also wondered if Elizabeth really wanted to have sex with Peter or if she just did it as a thank you for killing her rapist? Honestly I don't think she really likes him all that much and has been laying back and thinking of "Mother Russia" for the last 20 years.

And did I mention Matthew Rhys' eyes? :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have the series premiere recorded on my DVR. I'll probably watch the recording and episode 2 sometime in the next few days. I have heard good things about, it seems some TV viewers were thinking FX was trying to captialize on the success of Showtime's Homeland.

It's still pretty good, but I'm not sure episodes two and three were quite as good as the first one. Considering the subject matter, I think it could be a little more suspenseful and exciting. I don't get Showtime so I haven't watched Homeland, but I still miss 24. I was hoping for 24 with less torture. I still like it, but it needs to start going somewhere. Maybe they're just setting up storylines. The lady who plays their new handler was really excellent as Mags on Justified (before I had to quit watching that show because of excessive violence.)

See I thought the 3rd episode was the best so far & felt meh about the 2nd episode. If they follow the actual timeline of history Russia falls within a year or two so they have to get a lot of backstory in the first few episodes. There are so many characters I could see it taking a few more episodes to get everyone introduced and get a decent background for everyone.

Although I will say I was definitely disappointed with the lack of sex in the 3rd episode :lol:

Oh, I'm glad to see other people are watching this, too. I am about halfway through the 3d episode. I didn't think I was going to like it much, because like b5snowdog I couldn't tell wtf was going on half the time; it's just shot so darkly. And then the 2d ep didn't record for some reason, so I had to catch the late night one on Tuesday.

The only aspect of the show I'm finding tiresome is them dealing with their kids. I don't think Elizabeth and Phillip are very realistic parents, and the kids are sorta wooden.

I had a bad feeling when they took the woman with the baby away in the van. I thought they were going to kill the baby too.

• 2 months later...

Re the relationship between Phillip and Martha: Does he dye his hair or wear a wig when he sees her? His hair is blond and straight, what's going on?

Re the relationship between Phillip and Martha: Does he dye his hair or wear a wig when he sees her? His hair is blond and straight, what's going on?

He wears a wig. Poor Martha will never get to see him shirtless since he's afraid of loosing his hair :lol:

How the hell is he going to pull off being married to Martha when he has kids? Is he going to tell her he's working late all the time? Plus, doesn't that wig come off when he sleeps? How's he going to shower at her place? I kind of can't believe they went through with that.

I also can't believe they'd be seen in a public place with their handler. Martha will be able to ID all three of them.

I enjoy John-Boy Walton in his role.

• 2 weeks later...
How the hell is he going to pull off being married to Martha when he has kids? Is he going to tell her he's working late all the time? Plus, doesn't that wig come off when he sleeps? How's he going to shower at her place? I kind of can't believe they went through with that.

I also can't believe they'd be seen in a public place with their handler. Martha will be able to ID all three of them.

I enjoy John-Boy Walton in his role.

I was saying the same thing about his wig when he was going down on her! It looked a little too athletic & sweaty for it to not have been just a little askew.

I've always hated Richard Thomas. Something about him. But I'm loving him in this. Maybe it's John Boy I've been hating. Can you go to hell for that?

• 11 months later...

OK, I am trying to get caught up on this show but this season so far is.... just.... whoa. Got to the part where Paige walks in on mom and dad. Who knew commies 69'd?

• 2 weeks later...
OK, I am trying to get caught up on this show but this season so far is.... just.... whoa. Got to the part where Paige walks in on mom and dad. Who knew commies 69'd?

Are you all caught up? I'd love to discuss. This show is in my must-watch list.

I still watch this show. I don't love it but I like it. It's no Orphan Black (but then, what is?) but I've been in it since the beginning so I'm sticking with it.

Stan's decision surprised me. Not what I expected.

I'm really liking the setup for next season. The most intriguing part of the show so far (to me) has been the parenting conflicts related to cultural attitudes about raising kids, and Paige's growing discontent/awareness. Without giving too many spoilers, I think next season will focus on those conflicts and we will see a lot more of Paige, so I am really excited about it!

Joan, color me surprised too regarding Stan's choice. I already couldn't stand him for killing Vlad last season. The season finale had me on the edge of my seat the entire episode. I was so scared for P&E. Paige is becoming more like her mother every day. I suspected Kate was running a honey trap. How old was she?

I'm excited to see how Illegals Gen2.0 fleshes out next season.

Because it can't be said enough, "Poor Martha."

What did Stan write on the note? I wasn't wearing my glasses and my On Demand won't let me fast forward thru the reruns.

What did Stan write on the note? I wasn't wearing my glasses and my On Demand won't let me fast forward thru the reruns.

"Tell Nina I'm sorry."

I think my fundamental problem with this show is that I don't know who to root for. Do you root for the commies or the FBI? All characters on this show are sort of equally likeable and unlikeable, except maybe Martha. Most of the time I'm rooting for her to find out about Clark and :shit-fan: Plus I hate Paige's bangs.

:lol:

I'm unabashedly team Philip & Elizabeth. I respect their spy game. They are ALL IN from the disguises to the honey traps. I like the perspective of seeing their craft before modern technology. Nina is the most nuanced and complex character for me. She's in the game for self-preservation.

What do you think is going to happen with Nina? Do you think she's going to be off the show? I don't. I think her lover (what's his name?) will pull strings with his family and she won't be executed. She may even be promoted and come back in some way.

You're right, that old tech is pretty interesting. No cell phones is kind of bizarre to see. Show needs more 80s music, though. Paige should become a punk. That would be more interesting.

:P

Nina's smirk at the end makes me think she's not done yet. I LOVE her character's unabashed self-preservational motivation - such a great counterpoint to Elizabeth's totally ideology-driven character.

I also love Martha - she is so badass. I would love to see her replace Stan - which would make her finding out about Clark even more gut wrenching and difficult but she would make such a great counterintelligence officer.

I agree, Nina ain't going nowhere. Girlfriend always has a plan B, C and D. She's in the game til the end, no doubt. Oleg Igorevich has her back which leads me to believe he may call in a favor or two. I'm not sure Arkady does though. Somehow I think he resents she used her feminine wiles to screw over Vasili Nikolaevich, even though his departure opened the door for himself. Maybe Arkady is suspicious because Nina was making money on the side, and he wasn't part of the action.

How BOSS was Arkady when he rolled up to Gaad's house and the diner meeting!? I love those guys together. I hope they share more scenes next season.

I would feel for Stan if the series had fleshed out his backstory a little more. I can't imagine he wouldn't have deep scars from spending years in deep cover infiltrating a white supremacist group.

I'm worried Clark may have to eliminate poor Martha.

Archived