IGNORED

UK Govnment debated Trump state visit, transcript available

Dugg@rTime

For those unfamiliar with this topic, last month there was a petition to stop Trump coming to the UK on a State Visit. The petition garnered the required number of signatures and it was debated in parliament yesterday. The transcript of the discussion is now available to read:

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2017-02-20/debates/34847E5C-8B14-46E6-8251-AE99526CC011/PresidentTrumpStateVisit

its quite long and there's a bit of formal-speak in there, but an interesting read. I don't know if there's been a definitive answer yet, but I'll keep you posted.

Some very good points were made re the history of State Visits by US presidents. NONE has ever been invited in their first year in office - let alone after only 7 days!

Sadly, I think the ruling conservative Party will go ahead with the visit, despite public opinion - and I think he will encounter some massive demonstrations. So if Teresa May's idea was to get him onside for Britain re trade deals post Brexit - that may well rebound badly. Trumplethinskin doesn't like it when people are rude to him!

I have a feeling Trump will end up deciding not to come this side of the pond, his advisors won't let him. The backlash and demonstrations in the UK would be massive and cooler heads will realise it's a bad idea. He doesn't have much to gain by visiting the UK and he has quite a lot of ego to lose!

Archived