IGNORED

Do Torah-observant Christians not bother with keeping Kosher

MonkeyMomma

Quick question (with apologies if this has been covered before), but I was reading Brandy's Brood/Corimer Family Blog because now I'm fascinated by Torah-observant Christian (thanks, y'all). In this post: brandysbrood.blogspot.com/2011/07/meeting-tanya.html she mentions making this: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/04 ... ckpot.html (which I may try this winter) with no adjustments ...

So kosher=not so much?

It depends on the individual but most keep the dietary laws in so far as they are prescribed in the Pentateuch-so they won't eat fish without scales or mammal with cloven hooves or non-ruminant-but they will mix dairy and meat since the actual Biblical text only forbids cooking a creature in it's mother's milk, and they take that literally, rather than extending it to separating all dairy and meat products.

Pareve substitutes for cream cheese and butter are not too hard to find in many areas of the US, and if you look at cooking websites like joyofkosher.com, it's not uncommon to see recipes filed under pareve that call for "cream cheese." It's just assumed that you know to buy the non-dairy kind. So if Brandy were Jewish, I would assume she was using a non-dairy cream cheese and butter substitute in this recipe. If Brandy's been adhering to some mainstream interpretation of kashrut for a while and it's become second nature, perhaps such a minor recipe modification isn't even worth a mention.

I suspect uber frau may be on the money here, though - Brandy flounces and reinvents herself so often that it's hard to keep track of things like that.

Pareve substitutes for cream cheese and butter are not too hard to find in many areas of the US, and if you look at cooking websites like joyofkosher.com, it's not uncommon to see recipes filed under pareve that call for "cream cheese." It's just assumed that you know to buy the non-dairy kind. So if Brandy were Jewish, I would assume she was using a non-dairy cream cheese and butter substitute in this recipe. If Brandy's been adhering to some mainstream interpretation of kashrut for a while and it's become second nature, perhaps such a minor recipe modification isn't even worth a mention.

I suspect uber frau may be on the money here, though - Brandy flounces and reinvents herself so often that it's hard to keep track of things like that.

Brandy and her husband only decided (this time around) that they are Torah observant maybe a month ago. They don't adhere to anything.

The Crockpot Lady is awesome. I <3 her blog. Stephanie O'Dea. She's really nice, too.

My favorite is her take on Olive Garden's Pasta Fagiole soup--it tastes like theirs, but it's way better, IMO. My husband ate three bowls the first time I made it. My kids love it, and so do I. Here it is: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/day-305.html

/cooking tangent

wait--did we ever discuss why the Duggars don't eat pork?! I was FACINATED by that--I thought that Paul ended food restrictions, and they would ride that train. Do they (the Duggars) ever discuss it?

wait--did we ever discuss why the Duggars don't eat pork?! I was FACINATED by that--I thought that Paul ended food restrictions, and they would ride that train. Do they (the Duggars) ever discuss it?

What? They don't eat pork?

Granted, I haven't watched all that regularly, but how did I miss this? I know there's a certain subset of Christians that follow some of the dietary laws. Jordan Rubin (The Maker's Diet/Garden of Life supplement co) among the most mainstream-ish, but I don't think the Duggars are kindred spirits of his diet-wise.

Deleted because I think I revealed too much personal info here. Anyway, it didn't really add to the conversation, so nothing really lost.

I think Gothard is against eating pork, so that would follow.

I seem to remember John R. Rice (old-school fundy Baptist bigwig) also being against pork.

As far as kosher, a lot will mix meat and dairy because the actual verse says don't eat a calf boiled in it's mother's milk, and they see that as specific and the meat/dairy thing as a man-made addition.

One of the things that gets frustrating about "Torah observant" Christianity is they seem to pick and just not just from Christianity but also from Judaism, claiming to follow the Torah and not Rabbinic tradition when they are challenged by real Jews, but typically incorporating a mix of things from tradition, Torah, and modern practices without even knowing where they came from.

I went through a phase where I was very interested in the Torah, but ended up spending more time studying actual Judaism than "Messianic" sites or "Torah school" fundie blogs and realized how confused many of the so-called "Torah observant Christian" teachers were. I think someone else has mentioned it here, but I would expect Torah observant/based Christianity to look more like Karaite Judaism than the modern Messianic or fundie blog version.

There are a lot of small sects and groups within Christianity that do reject pork and Biblically "unclean" animals though. Some of these also follow other OT laws and observances ,while some just do the dietary thing. It is pretty common among people who are in any of the Worldwide Church of God offshoots & also among many people who follow Arnold Murray (Shepherd's Chapel), because both of these have teachings that link modern Christians with the OT Israel.

What? They don't eat pork?

Granted, I haven't watched all that regularly, but how did I miss this? I know there's a certain subset of Christians that follow some of the dietary laws. Jordan Rubin (The Maker's Diet/Garden of Life supplement co) among the most mainstream-ish, but I don't think the Duggars are kindred spirits of his diet-wise.

yep--when the boys go back to the house and all there is to eat is bacon they bring it up, and I think another time when the boys are snarfing down bacon...I was like...wait!!!

Just out of curiosity, do these Torah-observant Christians follow the family purity laws? A few years ago I read about taharas hamisphacha (sp?) and found it fascinating, although the most orthodox practice of it must be difficult for couples at times.

Just out of curiosity, do these Torah-observant Christians follow the family purity laws? A few years ago I read about taharas hamisphacha (sp?) and found it fascinating, although the most orthodox practice of it must be difficult for couples at times.

Very close! It's taharas (or taharat) hamishpacha.

From what I gather, few "Torah-observant Christians" observe the family purity laws, as this discussion on a Messianic forum suggests. I can see why: observing the laws requires much more effort than, say, abstaining from pork.

IIRC didn't they serve crab salad at Anna and Josh's wedding reception? Aren't crab and other shellfish on the unclean list as well?

Guest Anonymous
IIRC didn't they serve crab salad at Anna and Josh's wedding reception? Aren't crab and other shellfish on the unclean list as well?

After seeing the other stuff they eat, I wonder if it was "krab" salad? Or they are enormous hypocrites. I'd buy either option.

bacon is not pork neither is ham or cheap hotdogs. pork is well pork you know. once cured it is no longer pork.

:angry-screaming: :angry-banghead:

I wonder if Brandy only sets up new blogs so she can flounce from them. brandysbrood.blogspot.com has gone the way of loveandjesus.blogspot.com and...well, all those other blogs she's made since she was a wee little Candy sycophant.

What are the odds that she'll still be Torah-observant in her next incarnation?

Here's a secret: I like to wind Brandy up on her boards and wait until she flounces. I think it might have been me who took her out this time.

Here's a secret: I like to wind Brandy up on her boards and wait until she flounces. I think it might have been me who took her out this time.

Meany McMeanersten :lol: I don't say anything to her, ever. I just sit back and wait for the show, which isn't the flounce that is a given, but the incarnation that always, eventually returns that is full of the same tired excuses, explanations and whining about the bad people who dare to question her instability and not fall in line with whatever it is she is promoting this week. Their families suck because they don't understand their - Brandy & Jason's - special connection with god and that they have to follow what he tells them and they are victimized for living 'right' with god. Their god changes his mind an awful lot and love reading the backpedaling.

I'm mean too. I take too much pleasure in watching the show and giving a great big 'told ya' so' to the room around me when what I expect is exactly what happens.

Aww, what a shame they flounced. It was so cute when Jason scrupulously replaced every instance of the word "Jesus" with "Yeshua," even in quotes from the New Living Translation Bible or the name of a YouTube video.

Thankfully, Brandy and her brood live on for now in Google Cache, and her YouTube account is still active.

Thanks defrauding. I think this quote sums up her blog:

Tell a woman to "get back to the kitchen where you belong" ... or tell a woman she should be "barefoot and pregnant" ... and you'll likely get your head bit off by quite a few. That's because feminism runs rampant, even amongst the Church.

eta: Feminism (def)--the radical idea that women should wear shoes.

After seeing the other stuff they eat, I wonder if it was "krab" salad? Or they are enormous hypocrites. I'd buy either option.

I grew up in a "lazy Christian" household and never ate pork growing up. Bacon yes, occasionally hot dogs or a honey glazed thing on random holidays. Pretty much everyone in my family gets physically ill if they eat pork pork (chops, ribs, loin). I had read that this is a somehow an inherited trait (oh no! That sounds close to evolution! :shock: )

Some people just dont like pork?

Have the Duggars claimed to be Messianic? Because none of their recipes seem kosher....

I believe they said they follow OT food laws, just the ones specifically stated in Leviticus. But then they wolf down that bacon, and we all saw them eating pepperoni pizza at that buffet. I think they figure if it is not specifically called pork, then it's a-okay with them.

Confession: I was vegetarian for 10 years.... When I was forced to order McDonalds breakfast (these times come up!) I would order a bacon egg and cheese biscuit and take the bacon off just to get that taste.... No one can resist it's charms!!!

But seriously?! An old church i went to even said something along the lines of "Jesus died so we don't have to follow these laws, can I get an 'Amen bacon'?!?!' "

Guest Anonymous
Confession: I was vegetarian for 10 years.... When I was forced to order McDonalds breakfast (these times come up!) I would order a bacon egg and cheese biscuit and take the bacon off just to get that taste.... No one can resist it's charms!!!

But seriously?! An old church i went to even said something along the lines of "Jesus died so we don't have to follow these laws, can I get an 'Amen bacon'?!?!' "

O I can. I hate bacon. The smell of it makes me dry heave. (and always has)

There's a significant reason why Paul declared all "unclean" foods "clean", its the same reason that circumcision wasn't required at around the same time- he found out that requiring people to convert to Judaism and THEN convert to Christianity was a PITA, and he was losing potential converts to his new religion so he decided to cut out the middle man. So says my mother who has a Masters in religious studies.

Archived