IGNORED

I think I was 'outed' at work

dawbs

:lol:

*background* I supervise work-study-students as part of my job. I don't hire/fire them, but I am their 'go to' supervisor during the average week.

There are some fundie girls who I have had several run-ins with over the last year because they are very interested in 2 of my male employees. These girls give me a twitch because of their learned-helplessness.

(very close to an exact quote from her: "oh no, I know how to pump gas. My sister knows how to drive. That way we can go everywhere together. Neither of us wants to learn more because that's all 'BOYS' work")

Girl just asked about a job in the fall, when the school year starts. I referred her to the person who handles taht and just went and told boss (I have an excellent relationship w/ boss, but I do avoid religion and politics at work...) "you know the "j" girl? long hair, denim skirt, interested in the K boys? she wants a job..."

Boss's response was "oh, I know they give you a twitch...hmmm. Hey, you watch the Duggars, don't you?.....HA, you twitched, I KNEW it. Probably for train-wreck value."

I got to respond with "I have strong feelings about the quiverful and patriarchy movements, none of them positive. Is that polite enough? If I add 'and I'd like to free the children from oppression', does that move it to 'no longer polite enough'?"

Apparently if we hire fundie girl and it comes up in conversation, the first half of that statement passes boss's polite-o-meter, but the second half does not ;)

not *to* fundie-lite, her dad registers her for her classes and interferes w/ instructors when he 'disapproves' of how they handle things. It was drama-riffic when her physics instructor didn't meet w/ approval.

It sounds like your boss agrees with you about the Duggars. Is your boss fundie or fundie-lite? I wouldn't say anything more than what you've said, and if the Duggars are mentioned again, I'd just say "I'm not a fan" and leave at that. As annoying as these girls are, I've seen non-fundie college girls act the same way. They may think it's cute, and they use it to manipulate everyone around them. If you can, try not to let on that they drive you nuts.

I definitely feel for you! I work at a college that is affiliated with a liberal Christian denomination. My boss isn't fundie or fundie-lite, but she is religious and really into the church thing. She invites us all to her church all the time, and it drives everyone nuts. I don't bring up religion or politics because I don't know what would offend her - and she intimidates me. I try to steer any religious conversations into something more neutral.

Her dad registered her for Her classes?

My dad likes to think he has a say in my education when I was an undergrad but in reality I just nodded my head and enrolled in the classes I wanted and just told him after the tuition was paid what I was really taking. I took One class that he suggested and it was a diaster, one of my three C's in my entire undergrad degree.

My boss is conservative but definitely NOT fundie--wisely avoids religion at work. The only reason I know her politics as well as I do is because we work very closely.

Fundie girl told the boy she liked (within my hearing) that her dad sits them down and does their online registration for them so he can control what they take. (she said it more tactfully than that but,yep, dad chooses classes)

This girl doesn't know she gives me the twitch ad I've been dealing with her on a 'student' (not employee) level for over a year--I can probably mask it but I'm going to have my hands full with student workers that drive me batty (normally, I like the kids I supervise and I enjoy helping them. This crew is not a crew I enjoy) if something doesn't change.

And 2 will be fundies, because the pentecostal-budding-mathematician who currently works for me will be back

not *to* fundie-lite, her dad registers her for her classes and interferes w/ instructors when he 'disapproves' of how they handle things. It was drama-riffic when her physics instructor didn't meet w/ approval.

I have heard a number of stories of young adults in college being defended by their parents. If the physics professor made it through that situation without poking their own eye out with a dull, rusty object, they deserve a cookie.

I have heard a number of stories of young adults in college being defended by their parents. If the physics professor made it through that situation without poking their own eye out with a dull, rusty object, they deserve a cookie.

Only a cookie? That professor deserves a shit-ton of cookies!

Pi all the way :lol:

Physics prof is great and takes very little crap, thank goodness.

I am friends with a professor who has had to deal with a lot of angry parents. It usually goes like this: little darling puts in no effort, fails most of the tests, and then the parents are pissed (at the wrong person) when their tuition was a waste of money.

Guest Anonymous

Only a cookie? That professor deserves a shit-ton of cookies!

That professor deserves his/her own franchise!

As a prof, I HATE it when parents call to bitch at me about their son/daughter's grades. Thankfully, in every case so far, I can cite FERPA because the little dears did not sign a consent form for their grades to be discussed with anyone else. But, as someone posted above, usually the student does very little work, doesn't attend class, etc, and places the blame on me. I have in the syllabus for each course "I don't give you a grade, you earn the grade you recieve" right before the point breakdown for everything in the class.

If my mother had ever called one of my professors to complain about whatever grades I got, it would have turned into a murder/suicide. First I'd kill her for doing such a ridiculous thing, and then I'd kill myself out of embarrassment.

If my mother had ever called one of my professors to complain about whatever grades I got, it would have turned into a murder/suicide. First I'd kill her for doing such a ridiculous thing, and then I'd kill myself out of embarrassment.

Dear god, this. Fortunately I've survived my first year of college without this happening.

Fundie girl told the boy she liked (within my hearing) that her dad sits them down and does their online registration for them so he can control what they take. (she said it more tactfully than that but,yep, dad chooses classes)

What. The. Hell.

Out of curiosity, what kind of college do you work at? Two-year, four-year? Private, religious, public? I was going to ask about majors and things because... wow. What if those girls want to major in like, biology or something and can't because Daddy doesn't approve?

Dear god, this. Fortunately I've survived my first year of college without this happening.

I didn't have this problem. I had the problem of dropping out of college and moving out of the house. A week later, I got a letter telling me I had made the honor roll. Since I wasn't living there, my mom decided to open my mail and read it. She promptly went ballistic and called and yelled at me.

You can't win if you don't do as your parents want. You're going to get yelled at, you just have to expect it and deal.

That's not just a fundie thing, though. My SIL is a professor at a Christian college where the students range from mainstream to fundie-lite, mostly upper middle-class. Her stories of controlling parents and amazing entitlement mentalities are pretty startling. It's apparently not unusual for a father to call to try to make sure his daughter is in certain classes because it will make her look more marriageable.

That's not just a fundie thing, though. My SIL is a professor at a Christian college where the students range from mainstream to fundie-lite, mostly upper middle-class. Her stories of controlling parents and amazing entitlement mentalities are pretty startling. It's apparently not unusual for a father to call to try to make sure his daughter is in certain classes because it will make her look more marriageable.

Those forced to deal with this parent call them "helicopter parents" -- seriously.

I don't want to out myself too much here, but my dad teaches a class at his university about religion, from a historical, philosophical perspective. He's also a very vocal and open atheist. Although the course description is very clear about what to expect from the class, he usually has about 1/4 of the class leave during the first class. And then there's the letters from the parents... some of them are downright scary.

i had a professor last year that was very, very, very, right wing. She would ask questions such as " what do you all think about this". When someone answered a question, if they did not say what she agreed with, then she would verbally chew them out and tell them basically that they were stupid (just in a sugar coated way). She was very condescending and acted like an absolute spoiled brat. She was a fundie catholic (if that makes sense). I tried my best to stay neutral to her but it was so hard.

What. The. Hell.

Out of curiosity, what kind of college do you work at? Two-year, four-year? Private, religious, public? I was going to ask about majors and things because... wow. What if those girls want to major in like, biology or something and can't because Daddy doesn't approve?

2 year. public.

I believe they're going into education, no shockers there.

They DID sign the consent for dad to talk to everyone under the sun, which is unfortunate because I like hiding behind FERPA too :). (on the plus side, FERPA applies to their education, NOT their work study...as their supervisor, I can refuse to talk to parents--and I have)

I've dealt w/ more than my share of helicopter parents and this guy feels more controlling than helicoptering, but they can look a LOT alike.

Conservatives are rare in academia. My professors were campaigning for Obama during class, which gets annoying when they are taking time away from a calculus test review.

i had a professor last year that was very, very, very, right wing.

I have never had a conservative professor, I only got the rabid liberals. I'm fairly liberal, but these professors were driving me towards the right fast. It was pretty awful. They would rant and rave and we were their captive audience because they had all the power *shudder*.

I'm firmly of the opinion that any extremist be it conservative or liberal are difficult to be around because neither one allows for opinions from the other side.

Wow, seriously? My dad would never dream of getting involved with professor issues unless I asked him to. I did have to ask him once, but there was a legitimate reason. Too long of a story to tell here, but the professor I was having issues with had set off my internal "creeper alarm" all semester, and my dad knew it. (And my creeper alarm is VERY accurate.)

Archived