IGNORED

Kelly Bates on the 4th of July

GeoBQn

I don't know a hell of a lot about early American history, but did they have jeeps and sunglasses back when the Declaration of Independence was signed?

Are the founding fathers of the KKK featured in "America's Godly Heritage"? Remember they had Nathan Bedford Forrest's picture up in their house and claimed not to know who he was? Gil must be soooo pissed that he has to get health insurance because of a black guy! :dance: :dance: :dance:

I don't know a hell of a lot about early American history, but did they have jeeps and sunglasses back when the Declaration of Independence was signed?

Ben Franklin invented sunglasses, jeeps and tighty whities.

That movie makes the American Revolution look like a Nicholas Cage movie.

Ben Franklin invented sunglasses, jeeps and tighty whities.

And electricity by rubbing two cats backwards?

Sure, as well as dinosaurs and pink unicorns with glitter!!! That's what makes 'Murrika such a dominant world power!!!!11111

And electricity by rubbing two cats backwards?

Exactly and now you know how the cat got on top of Starry-Eyed Kat's head.

Well, they had tinted glasses, for medical reasons when people's eyes were sensitive. Sometimes it just was like now, somebody who couldn't handle bright light or needed to avoid eye fatigue, but other times it was because the person had a certain *ahem* std.

(just had to throw that tidbit in there, of course we all know they don't look like what that idiot is wearing.)

Would this be 'Merican history? As in, taught before a nascar race?

OMG, this had me laughing till my sides were hurting! :lol:

Exactly and now you know how the cat got on top of Starry-Eyed Kat's head.

:lol: If I try to rub my cat backwards (and, no, that's NOT a euphemism), he gets grumpy and either stalks off to boycott attention or tries to bite me.

They were kind enough to have some videos on their website. HOLY ADD BATMAN! It goes from Washington crossing the Delaware to a boat/car... then kinda sorta back to Washington. With a quick dig at people that dare to consume alcohol. "Bad Character" is the reason washington won? HUH??? Yeah, they were drinking - it was Christmas Eve...

They also point out that "there were no american deaths that day"... a few minutes after they mention people died of hypothermia. So confused... is there a reason these people wont just watch the history channel?

drivethruhistory.com/category/dth-video/

That movie makes the American Revolution look like a Nicholas Cage movie.

Did he steal the constitution yet?

Oh amazon reviews... how I love thee...

By Jason Starinieri "Rock30GamesMan" (Dickinson, ND) - See all my reviews

(REAL NAME)

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: Drive Thru History: American History, Special Edition 1-6 (DVD)

Drive thru history totally rocks. I love the fact that it's history but it talks about what was going in in Christianity at the time being covered on each dvd. For the American series it's cool how we see our nation was Christian to begin with. Especially how the founding fathers were men of prayer who were in the Bible and sought the Lord often when drafting the documents that formed our nation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for ages 5-12, May 5, 2011

By Daniel Harms "Blessed is the Nation" (Lynchburg, Virginai) - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: Drive Thru History: American History, Special Edition 1-6 (DVD)

The episodes of Drive Thru History are great. There is so much relevant and exciting history in one 30 minute episode that they must be watched several times over.

The actor, Dave Stotts, tells a story from history by traveling to the specific places where the story actually took place. For instance, telling the story of Christopher Columbus, Dave travels to Europe where Columbus received his sponsor and attained his three ships to make new discoveries. Dave Stotts makes sure not to leave out any details either. While telling the story he quickly brings up other relevant information in regards to the main theme. This would be so the viewer knows how and why some things happened the way they happened.

I would recommend Drive Thru History because it is accurate, relevant, and told from a Christian perspective. The recommended age group would probably be for children 5-12 years of age. Adults and teenagers would get a lot of great information, but might also find it a bit silly. Children younger than 5 might find it funny and possibly entertaining, but may not get much out of it.

Soooo do you think he talks about how the compass was fucked up? Or maybe the fact that the ships were pretty much stolen from their owners? How about enslaving the people that he found? YAY! Fun for the whole family!

We checked them out from the library to snark. I did NOT let my kids watch them. They were unbelievably biased and terrible. There was a whole discussion about how America was discovered due to missionaries or something. I can't even remember the whole line of reasoning but it was complete bullshit.

We checked them out from the library to snark. I did NOT let my kids watch them. They were unbelievably biased and terrible. There was a whole discussion about how America was discovered due to missionaries or something. I can't even remember the whole line of reasoning but it was complete bullshit.

The only thing that surprises me about this is that a library would carry such crap.

Ah, David Barton. We used to have a couple of those movies a long time ago, but I can barely remember them at this point. I have no idea if my parents still have them or not. I detest that man, utterly detest him. Tries to pass himself off as a historian but only has a BA in Christian Education and lies through his teeth about everything. He thinks he's awesome because he collects old documents, but then he twists his sources, takes things blatantly out of context, and even outright makes shit up with no apologizes. He's been linked to Holocaust deniers and to Southern apologists who think that black people were better off as slaves. He recently came out with a book about Thomas Jefferson in which he tried to claim (among other things) that Jefferson did NOT father children with his slave Sally Hemings, did not think that church and state should be separated, was a devout Christian, didn't really create his own Bible sans miracles, etc. As a history major he makes me want to beat my head against a brick wall, repeatedly, just to make the stupid stop. :angry-banghead:

The history teacher in me is dying just seeing this crap.

If you really want to see the crazy for yourself, you should check out his facebook page here or his webiste, http://www.wallbuildersDOTcom. He has a ton of articles up there, but be forewarned- the stupid is strong with this one. The facebook page is a little better because it's been infiltrated by sane people who post on about half of his updates, and they keep me from completely losing ALL faith in humanity.

The only thing that surprises me about this is that a library would carry such crap.

We have a rather large library system and you can find almost any kind of book you want. I like that our library doesn't censor based on their views and just gets just about any book or movie that people request. I have rather strange reading habits and they've found books for me that I'm not sure if they would have carried otherwise. In fact, they were unable to buy a book I wanted so they searched around and helped me find it in a completely different city and shipped it in for me to read. I know inter-library loan is a thing in academics, but this is the first time I've ever encountered it for "just because" reading. I love my library, it's my favorite place ever.

It makes me very nervous when I see anything historical "from a .... perspective". It doesn't matter whether it is a particular religious perspective or a political perspective or a racial perspective, as soon as I see that line, I get suspicious. You just know they writer is going to ignore or misinterpret facts to suit their own agenda.

It makes me very nervous when I see anything historical "from a .... perspective". It doesn't matter whether it is a particular religious perspective or a political perspective or a racial perspective, as soon as I see that line, I get suspicious. You just know they writer is going to ignore or misinterpret facts to suit their own agenda.

Precisely! :clap:

All history is told from someone's perspective. It's important to try to seek out as many as possible to try to construct what actually happened. The problem with SOTDRT and just education in general sometimes is that people pick one source and go with it. Obviously some sources are way more biased and idiotic than others, not trying to say they aren't.

All history is told from someone's perspective. It's important to try to seek out as many as possible to try to construct what actually happened. The problem with SOTDRT and just education in general sometimes is that people pick one source and go with it. Obviously some sources are way more biased and idiotic than others, not trying to say they aren't.

No telling of history is free of some sort of bias ("written by the winners"); I find that acknowledging that bias is far less insidious than pretence of objectivity. I find it especially troubling that 'a racial perspective' is something to be suspicious of, given the systematic erasure of POC experiences from conventional western tellings of history

Ah, David Barton. We used to have a couple of those movies a long time ago, but I can barely remember them at this point. I have no idea if my parents still have them or not. I detest that man, utterly detest him. Tries to pass himself off as a historian but only has a BA in Christian Education and lies through his teeth about everything. He thinks he's awesome because he collects old documents, but then he twists his sources, takes things blatantly out of context, and even outright makes shit up with no apologizes. He's been linked to Holocaust deniers and to Southern apologists who think that black people were better off as slaves. He recently came out with a book about Thomas Jefferson in which he tried to claim (among other things) that Jefferson did NOT father children with his slave Sally Hemings, did not think that church and state should be separated, was a devout Christian, didn't really create his own Bible sans miracles, etc. As a history major he makes me want to beat my head against a brick wall, repeatedly, just to make the stupid stop. :angry-banghead:

If you really want to see the crazy for yourself, you should check out his facebook page here or his webiste, http://www.wallbuildersDOTcom. He has a ton of articles up there, but be forewarned- the stupid is strong with this one. The facebook page is a little better because it's been infiltrated by sane people who post on about half of his updates, and they keep me from completely losing ALL faith in humanity.

David Barton appeared in one of the 19K&C episodes where they go to DC. He was their tour guide for the Capitol, and in true TLC fashion they just gave him the title of "historian" without going into any more detail. His name sounded familiar to me because I had just read about how he was trying to fuck up Texas history textbooks.

Archived