IGNORED

Does anyone remember - Taryn

Maggie Mae

The blogger who used a marker or tape to cross off the "magic" on her "magic bullet" mixer?

Wasn't that the lovely Taryn? I think it was in some of her word salad on a post of ZyuZyu's.

Gods, I miss Taryn!

This surely happened before my time, but I shall share this anecdote with my headship. I enjoy the look of shock he gets whenever I share a particularly scary fundie behaviour with him.

When we were little our parents used to cross out words on things all the time. It made me curious to know what all the bad words were!

That does sound like something Taryn would say she did.

I still haven't figured out if Taryn was a real person, a troll, a performance artist, or just a name that several people used when posting crazy.

When we were little our parents used to cross out words on things all the time. It made me curious to know what all the bad words were!

What were some of the things they crossed out? If you don't mind me asking.

Apparently, according to the Maxwells' sub-site FamiliesforJesus.com, they cross out words and titles in lyric books all the time when they're looking for good materials to help learn how to play their gospel bluegrass.

We strive to use Christian materials as many of the secular works have worthless (at best) catchy tunes and lyrics that can run about in the mind. If we can’t find any quality Christian materials, we consider secular if it is more of a method book. Usually the method books don’t have many songs with words in them, and if they do, we can white-out the words, remove the pages or staple them together.

Of course Daddy Maxwell certainly can't handle a song about drinking...

I'm not aware of any instructional DVD for the upright bass that only uses Hymns and Gospel Songs to teach the upright bass.

The closest I have found is a DVD titled Beginning Country and Bluegrass Bass with Dan Huckabee (I believe it is now a discontinued item). The quality of the recording is actually somewhat poor (it appears to be a VHS that was remastered to DVD). There are several secular songs on the video, including one that glorifies the drinking of alcohol and is a song I strongly dislike: Mountain Dew. But, to be honest, I've never listened to that part of the DVD and don't know if he sings the words or just plays the tune (I only noticed that the song was on the DVD when I pulled it off the shelf to review the title of contents - when I watched the DVD I just went through the first portion of it).

And they even blacked out a girl's picture, claiming she wasn't dressed modestly enough. Guess her frumper didn't reach the floor?

There was also an immodest picture of his daughter, which we used a marker to cover up.

Defacing music books is perfectly fine when in the name of the Lord!

What were some of the things they crossed out? If you don't mind me asking.

My parents may have been sexually repressed RCCs but my Dad who was a reader, did not believe in censorship. He had perhaps a thousand books in his library and I could pick out any one and read it. If I didn't know what a word meant there was a shelf full of dictionaries.

I could not imagine hiding books from my kids or defacing them so I could pretend to be some kind of 20th century puritan.

I'm surprised she wasn't more concerned that the magic bullet kinda looks like an overgrown vibe. But whatevs, as long as she's got her priorities straight. Yep.

ETA: "Mama, what's that book say: Harry Potter, the boy what?" "Nothing, dear. Just Harry Potter. He is a Gardener, you see. His Mom's a Lily and his Aunt's a Petunia!"

Gah, I miss Taryn. She used to post on Generation Cedar. I believe that is where she posted about blacking out the word "magic".

The headship has an aunt who is some sort of fundie (fundie light, probably). When her daughters were learning piano she glued some pages together in a book of Christmas songs so they couldn't see "Gramma Got Run Over by a Reindeer." :roll:

Hmph. :snooty: John Milton, who is sufficiently fundie-approved to be the subject of an entire English class at Pensacola Christian College, wrote [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areopagitica]a long and impassioned treatise on the importance of a free press[/link], in which he claimed that if you have to be protected from the written word, including pre-Christian philosophy, mythology, or raunchy erotica, your faith probably isn't all that strong:

"I cannot praise a fugitive and cloistered virtue, unexercised and unbreathed, that never sallies out and sees her adversary but slinks out of the race, where that immortal garland is to be run for, not without dust and heat."

It's all about reason, judgment, and discernment being (in Milton's opinion, God-given) tools that distinguish adults from children.

Hmph. :snooty: John Milton, who is sufficiently fundie-approved to be the subject of an entire English class at Pensacola Christian College, wrote [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areopagitica]a long and impassioned treatise on the importance of a free press[/link], in which he claimed that if you have to be protected from the written word, including pre-Christian philosophy, mythology, or raunchy erotica, your faith probably isn't all that strong:

"I cannot praise a fugitive and cloistered virtue, unexercised and unbreathed, that never sallies out and sees her adversary but slinks out of the race, where that immortal garland is to be run for, not without dust and heat."

It's all about reason, judgment, and discernment being (in Milton's opinion, God-given) tools that distinguish adults from children.

funny you should mention PCC. Anytime we talk about fundy censorship, I remember my two years at the compound.

There were lots and lots of jobs available for students. I worked in the kitchens. Some luckier (I mean, more blessed) students got to work in the library and color clothes on the models.

Sounds like the usual Taryn word-salad-superstition. Remember this similar gem?

My second granddaughter,Hannah, turned 3 this weekend. I bought her(and her mom) Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons(rainbowresource). When she turns 4 I will buy her The Reading Lesson(I change their magic e rule to the silent e rule). Then when my granddaughters turn 5 I will buy the oldest in each family Christian Liberty Press's kindergarten readers and Abeka's textbooks. I'll let their parents get them workbooks. Our oldest grandchild is 4 and we already started with her. I tell them-"Reading(etc.) is easy!"-Philippians 4:13(KJ)

Emphasis mine.

Oh I have a story here that takes the cake, no lies. :D

When I was in 5th grade the movie Titanic was big. BIG. My mom would not let me see the movie but I would not shut up about wanting to see it. When it came out on video she bought a tape, hacked the anti-copying mechanism on the VCR, and edited out the nude scene, Jack's drawings, the officer's suicide, and, oddly, a couple of shots of the people floating on the water.

Later I watched it with one of my friends and her mom took the more rational approach of saying "We're going to fast forward now, Winslet boobies ahoy."

The blogger who used a marker or tape to cross off the "magic" on her "magic bullet" mixer?

Here it is - it was Taryn, but it was the Magic Chef she censored:

Taryn says:

December 17, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Cathy- I wonder how you feel about evolution. Pastor Dave Meyer never would have called anything a “magic showâ€.†Magician(s)†is not a good word in the King James Bible- the Bible we prefer. I even took a permanent marker and crossed out the word-magic- on a Magic Chef kitchen appliance that was in our house when we moved here and plan on replacing anyway. We are Creationists and hope to visit the Ceation Museum in Kentucky soon. Magicians is in the same catagory as astrologers in the KJV Bible. Magic and astrology are in the same catagory.

http://www.generationcedar.com/main/201 ... omeschools (dot) html

When I was in 5th grade the movie Titanic was big. BIG. My mom would not let me see the movie but I would not shut up about wanting to see it. When it came out on video she bought a tape, hacked the anti-copying mechanism on the VCR, and edited out the nude scene, Jack's drawings, the officer's suicide, and, oddly, a couple of shots of the people floating on the water.

Ahhhh, so THAT'S how the ClearPlay DVD player was invented!

As an extra, because it's just so damn funny, check out this (almost) fundie-safe version of the Sopranos:

Oh I have a story here that takes the cake, no lies. :D

Later I watched it with one of my friends and her mom took the more rational approach of saying "We're going to fast forward now, Winslet boobies ahoy."

That's horrid. :shock: I'm glad you got to watch it with your friend at least. That approach is at least sane.

As an extra, because it's just so damn funny, check out this (almost) fundie-safe version of the Sopranos:

Ah, you made my day! Thank you for that. I remember watching that when it first came on and nearly pissed myself laughing and have nearly done so again. :lol: Two of the best shows ever. Also, I really want some Capicola now. I mean... Gabagool.

funny you should mention PCC. Anytime we talk about fundy censorship, I remember my two years at the compound.

There were lots and lots of jobs available for students. I worked in the kitchens. Some luckier (I mean, more blessed) students got to work in the library and color clothes on the models.

Hee! What a thoroughly defrauding task. From what I've read about PCC, it doesn't surprise me that they censor books, art, and whatnot. It does surprise me that they teach a course on someone who adamantly believed that censorship makes people stupid.

That does sound like something Taryn would say she did.

I still haven't figured out if Taryn was a real person, a troll, a performance artist, or just a name that several people used when posting crazy.

She was real.

You should head over to the Ask Me Anything forum. There's a thread asking people who were kicked out of PCC

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6836

If you weren't kicked out, feel free to start your own thread. There's a lot of us who would be interested!

Archived