IGNORED

Sin = Chicken Pox

longskirts

I actually like the fashion stuff on this blog, but the theology drives me crazy. Here's today's example:

I think the first time I realized the depth of my sin was when I had the chicken pox. At age 16, I got them bad. I was pretty prideful about my nearly clear skin and to look down in the shower at my blistered covered body, not knowing how long they would last or if I would scar from them, it broke my spirit. I saw a glimpse of how God sees me, and it was humbling.

Why would anyone teach kids that God thinks they're ugly and repulsive??

freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2012/07/pride-and-pox-and-sweater-shirts.html#comment-form

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, the irony of posting about pride AND begging for compliments in the very same post. It's almost too delicious.

For some reason I was reminded of fantasy stories where humans are ugly and smelly compared to the oh-so-perfect other races. I think it's the same phenomenon, people want to believe that there's something bigger and better out there.

So I guess the Bradrick babies/ kids were paying for Peter's sin when they all got the chicken pox last month?

Growing up I always thought that if I got sick it was because I had sinned. I still am unsure today if that is true or not and I struggle with it.

Who teaches kids that they get sick because they have sinned?

Christian scientists, for one. I assume some others do too? What is the brand of fundie here?

Also I can't believe she has a whole blog full of photoshoot pictures of her posing, and calls this "modesty". MODESTY DOESN'T MEAN YOUR KNEES AND SHOULDERS ARE COVERED. There is a lot more to it than that, and there are whole lot of girls who sometimes wear sleeveless tops who would be far too shy and humble to think people would want to look at 1000 pictures of their outfits. Who is modest? Lmao

I get so perturbed at people who tell me illness, miscarriage, etc is God's will because of some sin. How can they not grasp that everyone gets sick now and again and it has nothing to do with sin?

I don't understand how NONE of these people paid attention to the book of Job.

Growing up I always thought that if I got sick it was because I had sinned. I still am unsure today if that is true or not and I struggle with it.

Absolutely fascinating.

Are you still in the same religion that taught you this as a child?

And to think it could have all been avoided with an ebil vaccine.

Did they have those when she was 16? I'm pretty sure they weren't available when I was young.

Experience dd, I was raised a Christian and still am one... I found this board but to be honest I'm not sure exactly what all qualifies someone as a "fundy" so I don't know that part.

For the record though im not sure if my parents ever knew that I felt that way about sin=sick..or of I was taught that, by who or what..about nine years ago I had major health problems and one time I was alone crying and repenting and my dad came in and asked me what was wrong and I told him I must have done something terrible to bring sickness onto myself, and my dad looked really confused and so I explained what i thought, and he hugged me for the longest time and told me that if God had to make people sick as punishment for sinning then every person on earth would constantly be sick because every person sins and nobody is perfect, and he said he didn't understand why God had allowed me to get sick but that he was sure that God was not punishing me for anything. I felt better a little but I just couldn't really believe I hadn't caused it.

Did they have those when she was 16? I'm pretty sure they weren't available when I was young.

You do have a point there. I just checked and the vaccine was made available in 1995 to the US. Since her blog says she's 19, she would have been 2 at the time the vaccine came out. I can understand fundies not wanting to use a new vaccine given their attitude to most vaccines in general.

Also, I just checked out her blog, and I have to agree that for all the modesty that girl rambles on about, she sure likes posing for the camera. She's got a cute figure and she knows it. She takes great pride in her humility 8-)

Absolutely fascinating.

Are you still in the same religion that taught you this as a child?

My fundie-lite circles growing up taught this--it wasn't that the sickness was God punishing us. God sent the sickness to cause us to send our attention back to him after we were dstracted by sin. Because that's totally different. The ones who are trying to be less disturbing while actually still whacked (e.g. Piper) say that God sends sickness to further God's glory, and that might include punishment if that what it takes for God to be glorified. :naughty:

Menstrual cramps were God's favorite noisemaker for most of high school. :roll:

Experience dd, I was raised a Christian and still am one... I found this board but to be honest I'm not sure exactly what all qualifies someone as a "fundy" so I don't know that part.

For the record though im not sure if my parents ever knew that I felt that way about sin=sick..or of I was taught that, by who or what..about nine years ago I had major health problems and one time I was alone crying and repenting and my dad came in and asked me what was wrong and I told him I must have done something terrible to bring sickness onto myself, and my dad looked really confused and so I explained what i thought, and he hugged me for the longest time and told me that if God had to make people sick as punishment for sinning then every person on earth would constantly be sick because every person sins and nobody is perfect, and he said he didn't understand why God had allowed me to get sick but that he was sure that God was not punishing me for anything. I felt better a little but I just couldn't really believe I hadn't caused it.

Thanks for your reply.

Did you ever study any science?

I'm even more confused now since apparently you father didn't equate sin with illness. I'm wondering where you found that concept and why you held onto it.

Bekahthefeminist: Yeah, I'd heard that before too, my parents told me God didnt make me sick...but i know in the past they had also told me other times that that getting sick is not really a punishment but if you do happen to get sick, God didn't MAKE you get sick, but He could allow you to get sick in order to get you to rely on Him, be pulled closer to him Etc (there's a difference between "making someone sick" and "allowing someone to get sick/not protecting them from sickness")

A quote we were taught was "Christians get lazy in the sunshine" or something like that...it was up on my bulletin board...meaning when every thing is going good, we stop relying on the Lord and we don't pray as much or feel we have to really get into the Word, but then when trouble/illness/disaster strikes, we pray constantly and read our Bibles etc. So it just meant don't let an easy life allow you to get lazy about your relationship with God.

Experiencedd- what I wrote in my post just above, to Bekahthefeminist , probably is why..because I just twisted around what they said...they said if you were getting sick you could either go ahead and get sick or God could make you not get sick (protect you from illness). It was up to Him I guess. God could allow illness to bring you back to Him, but he didn't go around striking people down with sickness. I guess the difference between "make" and "allow"? That's what they would say, and honestly I did feel closer to God when i was sick, but whenever I was sick my dad would say it was just coincidence and no I had not ever done anything wrong. :-p I think my dad just doesn't think I could ever do anything wrong. Lol

Yes I studied some science. There's a lot I don't know though. It probably was not really high school level?

I went on to college and honestly I did so bad in science and math that I think my professors passed me through on pity. I was in their offices like every day to get extra help. Totally honest I think they just passed me through the courses. My final course grades did not match up with my test grades :-p

God doesn't see sinners as ugly. Everyone is a sinner and he's meant to love everyone in spite of it.

Do any of these people actually read the bible?

Experiencedd- what I wrote in my post just above, to Bekahthefeminist , probably is why..because I just twisted around what they said...they said if you were getting sick you could either go ahead and get sick or God could make you not get sick (protect you from illness). It was up to Him I guess. God could allow illness to bring you back to him, but he didn't go around striking people down with sickness. I guess the difference between "make" and "allow"? That's what they would say, and honestly I did feel closer to God when i was sick, but whenever I was sick my dad would say it was just coincidence and no I had not ever done anything wrong. :-p I think my dad just doesn't think I could ever do anything wrong. Lol

Yes I studied some science. There's a lot I don't know though :-/

I asked the question about science since I was wondering if you had the vaguest notions of mechanisms of disease.

I really can't engage with you any further, mindless thinking based on book of fables isn't my idea of intellectual stimulation.

Now wipe your chin, the kool aid seems to have dripped a bit while you were chugging it down.

I was one sinful person then. I have dermatitis, ichthyosis and psoriasis. I never knew that I was vain in the womb that must explain why my skin is so flawed. It could not have anything to do with genetics. :o

I must have also been one sinful child. I gave my sister and all of her friends chicken pox :lol: . The spots started to appear sometime between when I got up in the morning and when I went to bed after her birthday party. This was before the vaccine. I had a miserable case because of all of my genetic skin problems. I would have done anything to not have to go through that.

??

I know I'm new here but what did I say?

Darling you've drunk the kool aid. You have been programed. I don't find you amusing, entertaining or intellectually stimulating. And I am a woman who is easily amused.

Archived