IGNORED

Naphtalie Judith Serven is born

Pclee

....and with another quick glance, all I can see is Nephilim Judith. Great, the Servens would love that, their baby is angel spawn!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And this is why these children all have to be homeskool'd. Because Nasty Naphty would have a horrible time in 4th grade....

Hebrew name fun fact: should you want to feminize a traditionally masculine name, you stick on the suffix "it" or "a".

Example: you are hell-bent on naming you unborn baby after grandpa Shlomo. When your little girl is born, her name should be "Shlomit" (not Shloma). If his name was Joseph, it would be "Josepha". (I can't really tell how you know which suffix to add on to each name. Fact is, I know several Josephas and not a single Josephit).

According to these rules, baby Serven should have been named Naphthalit or Naphthala. As said upthread, "ie" is a French suffix stuck on a Hebrew name, and by the same logic, if I wanted to name my girl after someone named Anthony, she should be Anthonit.

This entire trend of feminizing-the-masculine is a pretty modern thing, as far as I'm concerned. My grandparents' generation had very traditional masculine and feminine names - my grandparents were Jacob and Michael, Tova and Chaya (or their corresponding Yiddish versions thereof). They really didn't have the George-Georgina or Albert-Alberta variants.

I know a Hosanna, a Jerusalem, a Genesis, a Garrison, a Yashua, and a Nevaeh - all from my fundie days - but this name made go "huh? What are they thinking?"

That is no small feat considering my tolerance for weird names.

I know a Hosanna, a Jerusalem, a Genesis, a Garrison, a Yashua, and a Nevaeh - all from my fundie days - but this name made go "huh? What are they thinking?"

That is no small feat considering my tolerance for weird names.

Nevaeh and Genesis are both in the top 100 US girls names of 2011, according to SSA data. Specifically, Nevaeh is #35 and Genesis is #82. Strange as they are, sadly they aren't uncommon nowadays.

I guess the poor kid could go by Nattie or even Nellie. I mean, OK, I can see being a fundie parent and not wanting your daughter to be one of the five dozen girls named Anna, Hannah, or Rebekkah at the homeschool conference. But giving your kid an obscure male Biblical name that sounds like a brand of soap is not good.

Nevaeh and Genesis are both in the top 100 US girls names of 2011, according to SSA data. Specifically, Nevaeh is #35 and Genesis is #82. Strange as they are, sadly they aren't uncommon nowadays.

That's crazy. I've only ever known one Neveah and one Genesis. Both of them were beautiful girls.

That's crazy. I've only ever known one Neveah and one Genesis. Both of them were beautiful girls.

It depends on the demographics of where you live. Here in southern New England, I haven't seem a Nevaeh yet, but Genesis (or alternate spellings) is not uncommon among Latino fundie-lite kids.

It depends on the demographics of where you live. Here in southern New England, I haven't seem a Nevaeh yet, but Genesis (or alternate spellings) is not uncommon among Latino fundie-lite kids.

I live in the bible belt and haven't heard either of those names around here. I spent my fundie days in the Midwest an heard a lot of weird names. I currently guess I'd be classified as fundie-lite-lite and the weirdest names in my circle of friends is Angel' and Ezra.

If the important fundie families keep having daughters like they have been the last couple of years,they are going to have problems in about 20 years.

These are baby names for 2011 though and the names are newly rising on the charts - unless you're around a lot of toddlers and preschoolers, this recent popularity means you won't know many people with the name just because they're not in your typical social circles.

pronounced Naf-tuh-lee

Thank you.

That's what I'd been thinking, but it's so ugly, I thought maybe I was saying it wrong and there was a better way. Wow, just wow.

Sounds like they were wanting and/or planning for a boy and when they got a girl child they did not care enough to find an appropriate name.A boys name that means 'my struggle' or 'wrestling' is way too strong for delicate helpmeets.

Thank you.

That's what I'd been thinking, but it's so ugly, I thought maybe I was saying it wrong and there was a better way. Wow, just wow.

The only pronunciation I can come up with that is less ugly is Nahf-TAH-lee, but no matter it's pronounced it's still an abysmal name.

I keep wanting to say, "At least it's not Renesmee," but alas, it's even worse. :shock:

She will forever be Naphthalene Serven to me. Not that it matters what I think. Just thought I'd share.

That's my name ( my mom isn't fundy at all just thought it was pretty) and now I feel all bad about it :( for what's its worth people never believe me when I say that it's a boy name and most people think its pretty. It is a bit hard to pronounce, at first most people either think nefertiti or natali lol

Poor little Naphthenic Acid. Very lucky she won't be in public school. I could see her being nicknames Napalm.

That's my name ( my mom isn't fundy at all just thought it was pretty) and now I feel all bad about it :( for what's its worth people never believe me when I say that it's a boy name and most people think its pretty. It is a bit hard to pronounce, at first most people either think nefertiti or natali lol

Awww candycane sorry about that!!!

Guest Anonymous

Awww candycane sorry about that!!!

Oh, Pclee is back. How long until you say some more offensive stuff about gay people and flounce again? You left a lot of FJers hanging and waiting for answers in your "Ask me Anything" thread. I will never get how people show their asses like that and then resume posting like no one is going to remember.

pronounced Naf-tuh-lee

It sounds like the way "Natalie" is pronounced when someone has a head cold, and is terribly stuffed up.

Archived