IGNORED

Naphtalie Judith Serven is born

Pclee

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I have a nephew named Anphrony, and I know how mad he gets with I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anphrony"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Where do they find these names?

1. Say what??? from wiki:

The text of the Torah argues that the name of Naphtali refers to the struggle between Rachel and Leah for the favours of Jacob; Bilhah was the handmaid of Rachel, who had thought herself to be infertile, and had persuaded Jacob to have a child with Bilhah as a proxy for having one with herself.

Way to saddle your little girl with a name full of drama, you lamas.

2. I hope the kid doesn't have a lisp.

3. Two words: Fels Naptha. It's a soap product.

Looks like Rebecca (mother of Nehemiah) and Peter and their spousii are blazing trails away from the recognizable Biblical names their parents bestowed. The Other Older Sister ... is her name Elizabeth? ... is meanwhile flirting with popular culture (Isabella) and ... I can't remember the name of The Other Daughter of The Other Older Sister. The Servens: gateway dominionists who keep on giving reasons to chuckle.

Dear fundies,

Hebrew names do not follow the same "rules" as English names. Hebrew male names can end in "ah" (Judah, Zakariah) or "ee" (Levi, Zvi). Adding "ie" onto a masculine Hebrew name does not make it feminine. It makes it a weird bastardization of names of both languages that will cause anybody who is familiar with Hebrew names to stare quizzically at you and wonder what the fuck you were thinking.

Dear fundies,

Hebrew names do not follow the same "rules" as English names. Hebrew male names can end in "ah" (Judah, Zakariah) or "ee" (Levi, Zvi). Adding "ie" onto a masculine Hebrew name does not make it feminine. It makes it a weird bastardization of names of both languages that will cause anybody who is familiar with Hebrew names to stare quizzically at you and wonder what the fuck you were thinking.

I'm giggling and snickering because if you think back a few, Tom Cruise said his daughter Suri's name was Hebrew for "princess." Jewish scholars said it most certainly wasn't ....

Guest Anonymous

I'm giggling and snickering because if you think back a few, Tom Cruise said his daughter Suri's name was Hebrew for "princess." Jewish scholars said it most certainly wasn't ....

Not to defend Tom Cruise but, if I remember correctly, Suri is a Yiddish short name for "Sarah" which does mean "princess" in Hebrew. So he was right, once removed.

"I have a nephew named Anphrony, and I know how mad he gets with I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anphrony"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Where do they find these names?

Har. As I recall, in the "Mean Girls" quote, it was "Anfernee"--after the basketball player Anfernee Hardaway, whose mother invented the name, and, in an interview, was MOST INSISTENT that his name was NOT "Anthony." (Makes me wonder whether she just couldn't pronounce "th.")

Name nerd OUT.

in other news, Brantley and Lindsay Disharoon's baby is due any day according to his FB latest.

http://www.facebook.com/BrantleyHarris

Knowing Brantley Disharoon's previous charges, this is chilling. I cannot tell you how many times in my short career I have encountered paedophile fathers who victimize their own children.

FYI, I'm a criminal prosecutor, don't think I have some weird career where I seek out child abusers.

She should go by Judith.

I thought fundies were all about reinforcing gender roles. That should start with names, I think. In Hebrew we have a gazillion names used by both genders--especially when transliterated to English--Naphtali(e) is not one of them.

Knowing Brantley Disharoon's previous charges, this is chilling. I cannot tell you how many times in my short career I have encountered paedophile fathers who victimize their own children.

FYI, I'm a criminal prosecutor, don't think I have some weird career where I seek out child abusers.

Brantley came on FJ at one point rather blustering-ly and gave his side of the story. If I remember rightly, most freejingerites believed him but nobody exactly became best buddies with that guy, especially since he threatened legal action if anyone attempted to contact him or Lindsay about the charges ever again.

Is that a name now? My brain went right to moth balls (naphthalene).

Nice to see it's not just me!!

(Hebrew: נַפְתָּלִי, Modern Naftali Tiberian Nap̄tālî ; "My struggle")

Lovely.

With the f in English, and for boys, I have heard of it. I think it's the "ph" that's throwing me off into mothball land.

Poor little Naphty is going to have fun with that name! At first glance I thought it was "Natalie", I bet she is goingto have to correct people for a long, long, time!

Dear fundies,

I know absolutely nothing about Hebrew, and all I can do is stare quizzically and wonder what the fuck they were thinking. Because that is one godawful turd of a name* to give to a little girl. I clean price sticker goo off thrift-store finds with naptha, and remember my great-grandmother using Fels-Naptha soap, and those were the first things that came to mind.

Poor baby. The only consolation is that she might grow up hating her ugly name so much she'll seriously question the thinking that went into it.

*I should probably clarify that there's nothing wrong with the original Hebrew name, just the fucked-up mess the Servens have made of it.

Like I said with Sauntina Laverle, at least it's not furthering the "educated intelligentsia fundie" image that Vision Forum likes to portray to outsiders.

I think Naphtali would be a fine if unusual name for a boy... Naphtalie for a girl is "What on earth are they thinking?" :shock:

Archived