IGNORED

Does anyone have any news of Meredith?

Artemis

I notice her children's clothing blog hasn't been updated for three months. I wondered if she was pregnant again - last time she had severe hyperemesis, if I remember correctly, and had to be hospitalised in Oxford. The Alexander Adventures blog doesn't appear to have been updated for some months either, and the farm website doesn't have any recent family info.

I was always worried about this young woman: her husband rang some alarm bells with me, and, I think quite a lot of other people. I wondered if anyone had any info.

I don't have any news per se, but I believe Meredith is still blogging. In my in-laws circle, there are many fundies/fundie lites, and I was blog stalking the other day and came across a blog of a girl who had Meredith's original blog as well as her family's blog in her "blog circle." Included in that circle was a blog called "The Hammer Family- An Unusual Union." Of course it won't let me see it (private), but I would give anything to have access to that damn blog!

I often wonder how she is too...

I don't have any news per se, but I believe Meredith is still blogging. In my in-laws circle, there are many fundies/fundie lites, and I was blog stalking the other day and came across a blog of a girl who had Meredith's original blog as well as her family's blog in her "blog circle." Included in that circle was a blog called "The Hammer Family- An Unusual Union." Of course it won't let me see it (private), but I would give anything to have access to that damn blog!

I often wonder how she is too...

Oh my, I want to read that blog.

I was hoping Stephen might take his young bride to his Princeton reunion where I could catch a glimpse of him and Meredith, but, alas, it was not to be. Perhaps someday he will take her to that booze fueled romp of wealth and pretension. I know Meredith is kinda wordly for a fundie, but still think it would burst her little fundie mind.

Stephen Hammer--remember that name, folks. He's going to go into politics, and when he does, someone needs to pop up and ask some hard questions about what he really thinks regarding women.

Lets hope that her husband is some super controlling type but for a nonfundie guy to deliberately look for a fundie girl online.....well, one has to wonder why he went about finding his girl the way he did. Most guys I know don't want a girl who is big on headship and submission. It makes me concerned that meredith's husband may have unreasonably expectation for what he wants in a fundie raised girl. We have seen that fundie girls aren not always doormats, that they may be smart and capable of running a business. Meredith seems a sweet girl. Whatever she is up to, I hope marriage is what she exoected rather than an unpleasant surprise.

If the UU church had such a thing as excommunication, I'd like to do it to him. I wonder whether his parents ever sat him down and demanded to know WTF he was thinking.

If the UU church had such a thing as excommunication, I'd like to do it to him. I wonder whether his parents ever sat him down and demanded to know WTF he was thinking.

Probably? I mean, it's hard to imagine that educated, intelligent people who want the best for their educated, intelligent son would do otherwise if he suddenly announced he was going to marry an utterly anti-intellectual girl from a very strictly religious family that involved putting a woman's life in danger so that she could birth as many children as possible.

I don't know, though. I am utterly fascinated by Stephen Hammer. I desperately wish there was some way to know what on earth his family and friends think.

Probably? I mean, it's hard to imagine that educated, intelligent people who want the best for their educated, intelligent son would do otherwise if he suddenly announced he was going to marry an utterly anti-intellectual girl from a very strictly religious family that involved putting a woman's life in danger so that she could birth as many children as possible.

I don't know, though. I am utterly fascinated by Stephen Hammer. I desperately wish there was some way to know what on earth his family and friends think.

Someone who knew him in HS & college said they were gobsmacked by his conversion. This is from an old thread (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3055&start=20):

mrsanniebgood wrote:

I am totally fascinated by Stephen, btw. I just want to know what is going on in his head. What kind of boy raised in a Unitarian household and studies (and is the salutatorian) at one of the elite universities in the country goes and marries a fundie girl, even one as bright and (relatively, of course) liberal as Mere? And what does his family think?

[NeedDistractions]I'm from Steve's hometown. Trust me, no one is more confused than the people who grew up with him.

We need way more info. than this! Details and don't be skimpy!

[NeedDistractions]I'm going to get myself in so much trouble for this, I'm sure. I won't divulge too much information because I'm sure he's actually a nice guy now and I'm scared the fires of hell will open up and swallow me whole just for finding this forum and laughing over the fascination Steve has inspired in others, but... Steve and I went to school together for many, many years. I actually knew him well. He's definitely brilliant - no doubt about that. But he was also a sarcastic, quick-witted smart a$$. He was never particularly inclined to debauchery, but he was by no means an angel. All in all, he was a pretty normal guy. If he deemed you intelligent to converse with, you probably might have even liked him. I guess he had some major religious conversion while at Princeton of which I don't know all (or any, really) of the details. Suffice it to say that we (his former classmates) were all shocked to hear of this whole story. I mean, his own mom went to a prestigious university and has a career! I do hope he's happy though. If this is what he wants, well, I might not agree with it, but I also probably shouldn't be one to judge. Meh.

Edited to correct citations, which are from the post-Rapture FJ, not the old board!

Someone who knew him in HS & college said they were gobsmacked by his conversion. This is from an old thread (http://www.freejinger.org/viewtopic.php ... 5&start=20):

Edited to correct citations, which are from the post-Rapture FJ, not the old board!

I've read that. But that person didn't seem to be that close to him. I want to know what his family and closest friends thought.

If he deemed you intelligent to converse with, you probably might have even liked him.

That seems a little asshole-ish.

Later in life converts interest me in general because it's the opposite of my experience.

That seems a little asshole-ish.

Later in life converts interest me in general because it's the opposite of my experience.

Yeah, he certainly seems full of himself, to put it nicely. Or like a prick, to be more blunt. Which makes the question of why he chose little SODRT Meredith to marry all the more mind-boggling.

Yeah, he certainly seems full of himself, to put it nicely. Or like a prick, to be more blunt. Which makes the question of why he chose little SODRT Meredith to marry all the more mind-boggling.

I don't think it's mind boggling. I think it's completely within character for someone with asshole tendencies accompanied by an inflated view of themselves. A submissive wife won't question or argue. A submissive, uneducated wife won't disagree or contradict. A little woman with no experience or education and patriarchal goals in life/beliefs is the perfect wife for someone who wants to rule and control his world.

I don't follow these people but just reading this thread and a few others I've browsed, he went looking for the perfect little wife to look pretty and sweet who never wants to get out of his shadow.

I don't think it's mind boggling. I think it's completely within character for someone with asshole tendencies accompanied by an inflated view of themselves. A submissive wife won't question or argue. A submissive, uneducated wife won't disagree or contradict. A little woman with no experience or education and patriarchal goals in life/beliefs is the perfect wife for someone who wants to rule and control his world.

I don't follow these people but just reading this thread and a few others I've browsed, he went looking for the perfect little wife to look pretty and sweet who never wants to get out of his shadow.

My friend dated a egotistical guy for years and was almost engaged to him. Asshole guys may find it easier to deal with a submissive wife but the ones I've seen don't EXPLICITLY look for someone big on headship Etc. Instead, they find a wife with all the righ "specs"----good college, well educated BUT still play second fiddle to him.

My friend's boyfriend wanted her to be a doctor but to follow him for career (he was also intending to be a doc). He didn't want acareer woman, just someone with a prestigious education and careers that befits hhis status. He was unhappy when she switched to therapy---something less prestigious. That's why Meredith's husband attempt to enter fundiedom baffles me.

Most ego guys I know (assholes or otherwise) try to play up their wife's education credential and career options but like to show off with See? I'm so awesome even an ivy league grad/law student/Wharton grad/ect will give up their careers for me because I can take care of her so well that she doesn't need to work if she doesn't want to or I'm pretty awesome....see, my wife is also well educated and supersmart.

The big ego guys I know don't see bragging rights with showing off a homeschooled graduate with no discernible career skills who talks about headship and being a Godly woman all day. That's what I don't get about merediths husband.

She's by no means a trophy wife for him. I'm sure there were more attractive women he could have chosen. But to stalk the internet and find this fundie sweet hardworking girl who basically raised her siblings is beyond me.

He should know by now that the internet never forgets and when he leaves the service and goes to law school and beyond there will be little flashes of light from people who watched this evolve.

If he's a pissy arrogant creep who's in command over his soldiers, there are ways that could negatively affect his upwards movement as well. Not like Viet Nam where fragging was one was to get rid of them, but more subtle word of mouth ways.

I really, really, really hope that he's the kind of person who likes to "rescue" people and it's not as ego serving as it seems.

Stephen Hammer--remember that name, folks. He's going to go into politics, and when he does, someone needs to pop up and ask some hard questions about what he really thinks regarding women.

Sorry to keep bringing up the reality of Dominionism in American right-wing politics, but I've got this one figured out. If he, after a military career, decides to go into politics (and I have no doubt he will), it will be as a conservative. Having a "Caesar's wife must be above reproach" gal like Meredith at his side will be a coup, not a disadvantage.*

Stephen is canny enough to see which way the wind is blowing in this country. From what has been posted about him, I am completely creeped out.

*Those of us old enough remember all the fuss made about Lady Diana Spencer's virginity in the press when she became engaged to Prince Charles. One news story spoke about the--no lie--gynecological exam she was made to undergo. A generation later, I thank God Kate Middleton didn't have to endure such an egregious invasion of privacy.

Sorry to keep bringing up the reality of Dominionism in American right-wing politics, but I've got this one figured out. If he, after a military career, decides to go into politics (and I have no doubt he will), it will be as a conservative. Having a "Caesar's wife must be above reproach" gal like Meredith at his side will be a coup, not a disadvantage.*

Stephen is canny enough to see which way the wind is blowing in this country. From what has been posted about him, I am completely creeped out.

*Those of us old enough remember all the fuss made about Lady Diana Spencer's virginity in the press when she became engaged to Prince Charles. One news story spoke about the--no lie--gynecological exam she was made to undergo. A generation later, I thank God Kate Middleton didn't have to endure such an egregious invasion of privacy.

True. The newspapers and broadcasts reported the royal hymen inspection and reproductive A OK. Stephen is def planning a conservative political run. Meredith and their special courtship story will be catnip to fundie voters.

True. The newspapers and broadcasts reported the royal hymen inspection and reproductive A OK. Stephen is def planning a conservative political run. Meredith and their special courtship story will be catnip to fundie voters.

I'm not so sure about Meredith being an asset for a future politician. Look at Santorum's wife, for example. Yes, she has many children and homeschooled them, but she's also college educated and good on the political hustings. She's been exposed to the world. Will Meredith be able to meet the public? To stand in for her husband? To meet with donors and attend political rallies? She's been rather sheltered. I think Steven wanted someone who would be no competition to him, and that's Meredith.

The following is found at:

www.alexanderadventuresfamilyblog.blogs ... drens.html

"Meredith has just launched an online store featuring traditional handmade, monogrammed, seersucker dresses and rompers for babies and young children. Ivy Anna Classic Children's Collection revisits the timeless summertime clothing of generations past.

"It would mean so much to Meredith if you would "like" the store's Facebook page and consider sharing it with others who may be interested in high quality, classic seersucker apparel for young children!"

Facebook Page: Ivy Anna Classic Children's Collection

Store Website: www.ivyannaclassicchildrenscollection.blogspot.com

Ordering: www.etsy.com/shop/IvyAnna ?

Archived