IGNORED

Bathroom Baby 2.0? Say it ain't so!

Beeks

I forgot about the upcoming T2 birth. She will probably overshare again. At least T1 will get some affection from preschool teachers.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great to hear T1 is going to preschool. Someone will finally pay him attention and he will finally have toys to play with.

I think it's been scrubbed from the blog but you can search for it here on FJ. We've had some epic threads about the BathroomBaby and ThatBitch.

Indeed. I can only hope there will be many, many more threads in the future.

Sheesh, tearing happens but it's usually not the end of the world (with a bad 3rd or 4th degree tear of course that's a different story but very few women have those). I had a FAST pushing stage with our first (less than 20 minutes, which is quick for a first time mom) and even with my OB working to prevent and minimize tearing, I had a 2nd degree tear. The worst part was the shot of local anesthetic to repair it, and it healed uneventfully. I really can't see being so terrified of tearing that one uses an inflatable balloon device illegally imported from Canada to try to prevent it.

ThatWife reminds me of a movie or a cartoon character from the 80s or 90s. I can't think of who it is, but something about her eyes, smile, and cheeks creeps me out.

ThatWife reminds me of a movie or a cartoon character from the 80s or 90s. I can't think of who it is, but something about her eyes, smile, and cheeks creeps me out.

Cathy?

Okay, after the brain bleach I need from that Epi No, I don't WANT to dig aroung her blog for her birth story. So, did she ever figure out that her Epi No is better equated to gerbiling or trying to birth a butt plug than giving actual BIRTH, or is that hoping for too much enlightenment?

Sheesh, tearing happens but it's usually not the end of the world (with a bad 3rd or 4th degree tear of course that's a different story but very few women have those). I had a FAST pushing stage with our first (less than 20 minutes, which is quick for a first time mom) and even with my OB working to prevent and minimize tearing, I had a 2nd degree tear. The worst part was the shot of local anesthetic to repair it, and it healed uneventfully. I really can't see being so terrified of tearing that one uses an inflatable balloon device illegally imported from Canada to try to prevent it.

Tearing can be avoided in most cases (if it is inevitable) if the doctor snips the skin beforehand. Then the break is clean and it heals pretty much back to normal...it's easy to stitch and the wound can be contained and not caused under stress.

Work place protections are a rather new concept when it comes to sexual harassment.

When women are assumed from the get-go to be weak, flighty, unreliable, "emotional," irrational, etc., it's easy to excuse all kinds of nosy questions as workplace protection of another kind. After all, the boss will want to know when the little gal is due to get even more womanish than usual so he can stop listening to anything she says.

My favorite jerk boss story involves a misogynist boss snapping at a female employee who came in shouting his name. He then patronizingly told her to sit down, take a deep breath, and speak calmly. "Now," he said in his best Kindergarten Teacher Voice, "what seems to be the problem?"

"The microwave is on fire," the employee said calmly, "and the fire extinguisher in the break room is empty. I need yours, please, so that I can put it out before the sprinklers come on and ruin your new laptop."

Just then the sprinklers came on.

The kid is called bathroom baby because his mom made him sleep in the bathroom as a baby.

What the heck, why?

This thread also made me think of Anna Duggar because both of her children were born in the bathroom. I wonder what bathroom appliance she will give birth on/in next.

Tearing can be avoided in most cases (if it is inevitable) if the doctor snips the skin beforehand. Then the break is clean and it heals pretty much back to normal...it's easy to stitch and the wound can be contained and not caused under stress.

That's called an episiotomy and actually the opposite appears to be true. Most tears are shorter and shallower than a standard episiotomy. In addition, an episiotomy can be the beginning of a major tear. The major difference is that episiotomies are easier to stitch, being straight cuts.

Factors in preventing tears include a nutritious diet for good tissue health, a comfortable and safe-feeling place to labor to reduce tension, pushing only when there is a pushing urge, freedom of movement while pushing, and not being too numb from anesthesia to feel what is happening.

That's called an episiotomy and actually the opposite appears to be true. Most tears are shorter and shallower than a standard episiotomy. In addition, an episiotomy can be the beginning of a major tear. The major difference is that episiotomies are easier to stitch, being straight cuts.

Factors in preventing tears include a nutritious diet for good tissue health, a comfortable and safe-feeling place to labor to reduce tension, pushing only when there is a pushing urge, freedom of movement while pushing, and not being too numb from anesthesia to feel what is happening.

THIS!

I trust your expertise better than mine. At least I got the stitching the wound part right :D. I've never been pregnant, just heard first hand accounts.

Unfortunately, there is a current widespread tendency to assume that no baby can ever be born without some type of cut or injection. Most OBs actually believe this, and they tell their clients that an episiotomy is just a thing that happens. Episiotomies used to be used only when the doctor had to reach in and get the baby with forceps or some other way. Now they are so routine that some OBs don't even bother to ask for consent before they cut. But they are nearly always unnecessary surgery.

The worst OBs flat-out tell their clients that they cut because if the client happened to have a tear, it would be more tedious to stitch. But most OBs sincerely believe that the cut is needed. It isn't.

Back on topic: Wait a minute. Is T1 STILL IN THE BATHROOM? I thought he'd at least gotten a daybed in the living room or something!

He has a bedroom now, as far as I know, with a mattress on the floor, books above his reach and no toys.

A mattress on the floor is actually recommended by some parents because being able to get into and out of their own beds helps little kids who want to do more stuff on their own feel capable. But books above his reach? That's just mean.

And no toys. Wow. Even hardscrabble farmers' kids in poor villages in the back end of nowhere have stick dolls and rag balls.

A mattress on the floor is actually recommended by some parents because being able to get into and out of their own beds helps little kids who want to do more stuff on their own feel capable. But books above his reach? That's just mean.

And no toys. Wow. Even hardscrabble farmers' kids in poor villages in the back end of nowhere have stick dolls and rag balls.

If he had had those, he wouldn't have played with them correctly and TB would have taken them away.

What the heck, why?

This thread also made me think of Anna Duggar because both of her children were born in the bathroom. I wonder what bathroom appliance she will give birth on/in next.

I wasn't aware that both Anna's children were born in the bathroom. What a trendsetter. :roll:

If my memory is working only Michael was born in the bathroom. I think Mackynzie was born on the bed.

If my memory is working only Michael was born in the bathroom. I think Mackynzie was born on the bed.

Anna was in the bathtub while labouring with M1, but then was transferred to bed as she was not comfortable in there.

Unfortunately, there is a current widespread tendency to assume that no baby can ever be born without some type of cut or injection. Most OBs actually believe this, and they tell their clients that an episiotomy is just a thing that happens. Episiotomies used to be used only when the doctor had to reach in and get the baby with forceps or some other way. Now they are so routine that some OBs don't even bother to ask for consent before they cut. But they are nearly always unnecessary surgery.

The worst OBs flat-out tell their clients that they cut because if the client happened to have a tear, it would be more tedious to stitch. But most OBs sincerely believe that the cut is needed. It isn't.

Back on topic: Wait a minute. Is T1 STILL IN THE BATHROOM? I thought he'd at least gotten a daybed in the living room or something!

Ok, not trying to fight the birth wars here, but most women do not get episiotomies in the US. In this article, which discusses rates being too high, 1/3 of women who give birth in a hospital get them. The ASOG opposes routine episiotomies. I'm not sure where your getting this notion that in 2013 most OB's are telling women they are necessary and/or routinely performing them without consent.

http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20050826 ... ay-experts

Archived