IGNORED

Is it just me or is every 'Traditional Catholic' a jerk?

AtroposHeart

p.s. isn't what you call a group that doesn't like how the Church is going and breaks off and forms their own congregations...Protestant?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am 67, grew up pre Vatican II, daily Mass, loved being Catholic. I've changed. The most conservative, traditional Catholics I know are under age 40, pretty evenly decided between converts and cradle Catholics.

I live in a towm with lots of nursing homes- I agree with you but the 75+ seem to just do what they always did. At least when I worked in nursing homes

I am 67, grew up pre Vatican II, daily Mass, loved being Catholic. I've changed. The most conservative, traditional Catholics I know are under age 40, pretty evenly decided between converts and cradle Catholics.

I've noticed this too. I'm not Catholic anymore but the majority of the "revoke vatican II" we love the latin mass crowd all is a lot younger than you'd expect.

My dad is a lapsed Catholic. He left the church and got married in a registry office, etc etc, but he still believes in God and a lot views of the Catholic church has. His mother was a redhot conservative Catholic (which is funny seeing how her grandchildren are raging liberals) who fully believed that the Catholic church was the True Church and that women shouldn't be priests, etc etc. I imagine she would have wanted to revoke Vatican Two. My dad said the breaking point for him was noticing how the church seemed to like to change the rules a lot, ie, how in the past you had to fast before a certain mass but then along the line God decided that that wasn't necessary anymore, things like that. He decided religion was pretty bogus and raised us without one. His family are Catholics but more relaxed about it. My aunties go to church usually every week but their children are cafeteria Catholics and only go to church for marriage and christenings.

I've noticed this too. I'm not Catholic anymore but the majority of the "revoke vatican II" we love the latin mass crowd all is a lot younger than you'd expect.

I'd agree with that - I had a shock when I came to university and found the Catholic Chaplaincy was full of these people (well maybe not full but there seemed to be quite a few around) + they had Latin Mass which I had never experienced before.

I wouldn't say they were all jerks all the time but there is an element of 'we are better than you' about it.

Just my 2 cents-

I am Catholic and define 3 types of Catholics I have seen. The "older generation" who grew up going to Mass every week, praying the rosary etc. They will not change, mostly because it is what they have always known/done

Cafeteria/regular Catholic- may not believe everything, but still enjoys the Catholic Religion or has not decided to leave

What I like to call the born-again Catholic or like you said traditional. These Catholics usually were what they consider 'bad' in their youth and or left the church for awhile and now Jesus has saved them and they are now super Catholic and they need to prove it and make anyone who is not like them feel bad.

There is a fourth group I guess- the fallen away Catholic who doesn't say they are Catholic anymore, however many say you never really lose the Catholic idenity even after changing or leaving church.

This is just what I have noticed

This made me smile..The first is my parents...attend every Sunday for 'fire insurance' purposes.

I would be group four.

Be it Muslim, Baptist, Mormon whatever, every religion has them...the extremes of any one point of view always scare the shit out of me :(

Several years ago I went with a friend to a Latin Mass, and we had no idea that this was a pre-Vatican II congregation. Thankfully we had our shoulders covered, but we were asked to put on little lacy mantilla things on our heads. We walked in, and men were on one side and women on e other. The mass was mostly performed with the priest facing the altar. Then for communion....yikes. Everyone went up to the altar railing and knelt while the priest put the host in your mouth. The Catholic Churches I went to always to had you get in a queue and the priest put the host in your hand.

Anyways, I grew up very nominally Catholic, so is was quite the experience for me.

And yes the traditional (ie eschews birth control, is at every mass) Catholic I know is a douche.

There are arseholes in every religion and in atheism too. I honestly think that some people use their religion to espouse their asshattery.

There are arseholes in every religion and in atheism too. I honestly think that some people use their religion to espouse their asshattery.

Yes...absolutely.

OH look I'm a male chauvinist pig. How cool, I found this religion that totally tells me I'm right.

OH look I'm homophobic. How cool, I found a religion that totally tells me I'm right.

OH look I'm racist. How cool. I found a group that totally tells me I'm right.

Because obviously if more than one person believes it, it must be true.

I only eat purple Starburst. I know mine is the true path. I just need a 'religion' to confirm it :)

I grew up in a very multicultural neighborhood in Chicago in the 70's and 80's - like the most diverse neighborhood in the country. All of the Catholics I knew were the Democratic Chicago type, which is a different breed entirely. Like a picture of JFK displayed next to the pictures of Mary and Jesus kind. Same when I worked at a Catholic University in a completely different part of the country later in life. But the "traditional" Catholics like Stinking Housewife and Mel Gibson and his daddy et al - yeah, they're assholes.

Having grown up Traditional Catholic I can say we are judgmental. We think we're right and it's the only way to Heaven. Jesus died for us, and only the traditional Catholics that are obedient enough, twhat have prayed enough will get to Heaven. It's why I eventually left. I knew I couldn't live up to that. I was going to Hell so might s well have my mornings free(yup Mass everyday)

Many of my family are Catholics, and while they all share the belief that I'm going to hell, most are very nice people, who are pleasant to be around and don't force anyone to agree with them. Several of them, however, including my formerly-a-priest cousin got sucked into the Traditional movement. They are worse than my ultra-orthodox Jewish relatives. And I mean that. Total pricks to everyone, not only me, but their Vatican II embracing, daily English language Mass going family members as well. They truley believe that those attending masses that are in the spirit of Vatican II are going to hell, pretty much. The Eucharist is only done right if done by a Traditional priest... Ugh.

Yes...absolutely.

OH look I'm a male chauvinist pig. How cool, I found this religion that totally tells me I'm right.

OH look I'm homophobic. How cool, I found a religion that totally tells me I'm right.

OH look I'm racist. How cool. I found a group that totally tells me I'm right.

Because obviously if more than one person believes it, it must be true.

I only eat purple Starburst. I know mine is the true path. I just need a 'religion' to confirm it :)

QFT to the eleventieth of the eleventy!!!!!11111!!!!

What can anyone tell me about knights of Columbus ? My partner's brother is getting sworn in as an officer and wants us to come. On the sides of traditionals or not?

Knights of Columbus is just a Catholic men's fraternity. They are just normal Catholics....the Knights have groups in every parish. Unless the group is associated with a Traditional Catholic group who only will go to the Latin Mass and are pre-Vatican two it should be fine.

Nope, it's not just you!! I have several Catholic friends. Most of them are "cafeteria Catholics," and they're always great to be around. A guy I went to school with is a traditional Catholic and has turned into a prideful jerk over the last couple years. It's sad. We used to go get Starbucks and have random and funny conversations until he decided to ignore me completely. There was a girl that he told me about...he liked her a lot, and she liked him back. He refused to date her because she was a Protestant! I check his Facebook account every so often. He and his little group of traditional Catholic buddies are always trashing people who don't think EXACTLY as they do.

But anyway, yes, traditional Catholics tend to be jerks more often than not.

I sometime lurk at the Traditionalist Catholic forum on Catholic Answers. The crazy over there, it burns! Lots of pro-SSLPX and lots of former protestants that converted to Catholicism. They seem to be the ones that are the most anti-Vatican 2 and Latin Mass goer, and are, yes, surprisingly young for the most part. Most of them hate democracy and would love a catholic absolute monarchy. They follow the encyclicals of a 15th Century Pope or Pius IX more so than those of Paul VI or John Paul II...

It's quite a "fun" read, over at that forum...

I'll have to go look if I get bored. I think I know at least partially why I haven't met any true traditionalists. The local diocese gave them their own parish that is fully Latin and old rites. They can all go congregate together and let the other parishes be Vatican II in peace.

I was brought up trad/fundie Catholic. Most of the other trads my family came into contact with were, in fact, supercilious and self-righteous. I can't think of a single one in my personal experience that would have a problem with my mom disowning me like she did.

Trad Catholics are a sore spot for me. Maybe I should stay out of this thread. :/

I know this is an over generalization,,,,but I have to say it.

Every Traditiona catholic I ahve ever meet is extremely stuck up and views other religious/spirtual traditions as 'inferior'

not to mention the heavy amount of racism,sexism, and homophobia I have witness from them.

nope, not just you.

Just my 2 cents-

I am Catholic and define 3 types of Catholics I have seen. The "older generation" who grew up going to Mass every week, praying the rosary etc. They will not change, mostly because it is what they have always known/done

Cafeteria/regular Catholic- may not believe everything, but still enjoys the Catholic Religion or has not decided to leave

What I like to call the born-again Catholic or like you said traditional. These Catholics usually were what they consider 'bad' in their youth and or left the church for awhile and now Jesus has saved them and they are now super Catholic and they need to prove it and make anyone who is not like them feel bad.

There is a fourth group I guess- the fallen away Catholic who doesn't say they are Catholic anymore, however many say you never really lose the Catholic idenity even after changing or leaving church.

I was raised Catholic in my youth (my parents lapsed when I was a pre-teen) and now after a roundabout faith journey attend an Episcopal church (I went to Episcopal middle school and we would go to the church on holidays). Anyway, I went to Catholic high school so I know a lot of Catholics, and all but two pretty much fall into the Cafeteria/regular Catholic category - I guess I would place myself in the 4th group. The two that I would label the closest to being traditional are not jerks, but their beliefs frustrate me sometimes and I see them becoming more and more allied to the political/religious right. I also know a few very progressive Catholics who are very devoted to their faith.

But yeah, the "traditional Catholics" discussed on here (whom I notice are usually tied to MR groups-wtf is up with that?) are scary and very un-Christlike. Also jerks.

Yeah. It also seems that some of the most conservative young Catholics are either coverts or "reverts" (going back to the church after a lapse).

Just my 2 cents-

My grandparents were definitely the "older generation" who in the case of my grandpa, went to Mass every day when possible, and it was said that one thing that disappointed him is that nobody became a priest. The reason for that is that my dad and uncles preferred to get married, and one of my uncles was gay and died from alcoholism because he could never have come out at all. My dad and most uncles fit in the last group, as they quit going to church as soon as they moved out. I do have one uncle who is the born again Catholic, but the reason most of us no longer want anything to do with him is that he was verbally abusive in general. He's even been fired from every job he had because he tried to pick fights with the supervisor.

Several years ago I went with a friend to a Latin Mass, and we had no idea that this was a pre-Vatican II congregation. Thankfully we had our shoulders covered, but we were asked to put on little lacy mantilla things on our heads. We walked in, and men were on one side and women on e other. The mass was mostly performed with the priest facing the altar. Then for communion....yikes. Everyone went up to the altar railing and knelt while the priest put the host in your mouth. The Catholic Churches I went to always to had you get in a queue and the priest put the host in your hand.

Anyways, I grew up very nominally Catholic, so is was quite the experience for me.

And yes the traditional (ie eschews birth control, is at every mass) Catholic I know is a douche.

This kind of Catholic is the closest I've come to knowing a "traditional Catholic", and the two that I know are varying degrees of douche canoe. They'll both get offended at their belief system being called intolerant, then go on to explain the various ways in which they are intolerant and why it's ok because their religion justifies it. One is the "I'll be nice to your face yet campaign against your civil and human rights" type of douche canoe, while the other judges anyone who isn't as good a Catholic as she. I know a lot of cafeteria Catholics, and they fall all over the jerky-nice spectrum as non-Catholics do.

Archived