IGNORED

"Women of virtue" phrase annoys me

MamaJunebug

Photo of mom w/her 3-month-old daughter receives the glowing response, "Ah! Two women of virtue!"

Well, yeah: One would hope a 3-month-old hasn't besmirched the family name at this early date!

Of course, a Lutheran or Roman Catholic wanting to make a point might write, "Ah, two sinners saved by grace!"

But back to the photo. Let's say it was a photo of GC Kelly and baby Bria back in Kelly's unwed motherhood period. Would the fatuous response then be,, "Ah! One woman of virtue and her slatternly mother?"

I know, I know: the response , "Ah! Two women of virtue!" was just an acolyte's suck-up-iness.

But boy, it really rubbed me wrong when I saw it. :snooty:

Gross. I mean, I know they believe all these things about virginity, but she's a toddler. I can see saying it about you're sixteen year old who can actually be a sexual being--though not really because they are so repressed--but c'mon?!

post-196-14451999438643_thumb.jpg

post-196-1445199944036_thumb.jpg

I wonder what qualities, do's, and don'ts one would have to follow to be a "Woman of Virtue". :think:

Gross. I mean, I know they believe all these things about virginity, but she's a toddler. I can see saying it about you're sixteen year old who can actually be a sexual being--though not really because they are so repressed--but c'mon?!

Does being a sexual being mean you're NOT virtuous?

The whole phrase "woman of virtue" annoys me. It's incredibly patriarchal.

I just meant that at least a mature girl can have those kinds of feelings and make a choice, vs a child or toddler. I assume virtuous just means 'virgin' to these people.

Woman of virtue = female fundie who is perceived as sufficiently obedient and submissive. It surprises me that a baby can be considered a woman of virtue, considering how "sinful" babies are.

Archived