IGNORED

What not to wear turns homemake into easy sleazy

I think the high standards for women make this a loosing battle.

There's a tremendous amount of subtext surrounding women putting on clothes in the morning...and I dont like it.

I don't WANT my clothes to make a statement.

(well, that's not entirely true--I resent the fact that I do't hve a choice but to work to make the statement be 'right' at my job)

I basically agree that it's the high standards that make it a losing battle. I think it would be naive to believe that clothing can be statementless, but the way it is packaged is that you either make the "right" statement (basically conservative professional or slave to designer labels) or the "wrong" statement (literally anything else). WNTW, from what I remember of it, really pushes the professional look and doesn't seem to acknowledge that people might be more comfortable and more confident in a more unusual style.

(FWIW, I really like Greta Christina's take on fashion and feminist here: http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2011/ ... ist-issue/)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, budget is a big issue re: WNTW. You take in a couple of big suitcases full of clothes for them to throw out, and you come back with (typically) 10-20 pieces of clothing or accessories based on the stores that they make you shop at. They also show a lot of women who have to buy clothes in larger sizes than they typically wear and then have the tailored to fit perfectly. Which is all well and good on the show, but very few people can afford to have all their clothes tailored.

I have kind of a weird shape that's somewhere between standard clothes and true plus size. I buy things that fit me and my fairly low budget. I can spend time thinking about the fact that I'm lacking in style, but when it comes down to it I do what I can within the constraints I have to work with. I think most people do.

For me, budget is a big issue re: WNTW. You take in a couple of big suitcases full of clothes for them to throw out, and you come back with (typically) 10-20 pieces of clothing or accessories based on the stores that they make you shop at. They also show a lot of women who have to buy clothes in larger sizes than they typically wear and then have the tailored to fit perfectly. Which is all well and good on the show, but very few people can afford to have all their clothes tailored.

I have kind of a weird shape that's somewhere between standard clothes and true plus size. I buy things that fit me and my fairly low budget. I can spend time thinking about the fact that I'm lacking in style, but when it comes down to it I do what I can within the constraints I have to work with. I think most people do.

Me too! when i'm not harboring a fetus, i'm a 12 on top, and a 16 on the bottom!!! I'm lucky, i can tailor my own stuff, BUT I still have a hell of a time finding things that fit my largish bust, tiny waist and gigantinormous hips (seriously, the difference between my hips and waist is 16 inches. )

I hate how plus sized clothing is all STINKING POLYESTER TOO. Like we're already not fat and sweaty ENOUGH.

I think if I actually only included clothing items that fit and that I still wear, it would fit into just a couple of suitcases - one winter, one summer. So if I could have nice clothes in 2 suitcases I would be thrilled.

I have learned a lot from that show. There is nothing wrong with yoga pants - unless you are seen in them. If you are driving your kids to school and don't plan on exiting the car - no problem. But even to go grocery shopping, how hard is it to slip on a pair of jeans and a cute top? No rips, stains, or nastiness.

Some of their tips have helped me a lot with my amazing expanding and contracting figure issues.

I hate how plus sized clothing is all STINKING POLYESTER.

I have learned a lot from that show. There is nothing wrong with yoga pants - unless you are seen in them. If you are driving your kids to school and don't plan on exiting the car - no problem. But even to go grocery shopping, how hard is it to slip on a pair of jeans and a cute top? No rips, stains, or nastiness.

Some of their tips have helped me a lot with my amazing expanding and contracting figure issues.

I'm with both of you. My motto is "If a skinny woman wouldn't wear it, why the hell should I?" Because I hate shopping and hiking all over a mall to find what I need, I buy most of my clothes online. It makes it easier for me to winnow through the virtual "racks" and zero in on the cuts and fabrics I want. The feedback posted re fit is often useful, too. I just have to delay gratification and wait for the stuff to be delivered--and any extra time necessary should I have to exchange it. Fortunately, I can sew, and do most of my own alterations.

I agree with MrsYoungie--why is it any harder to throw on a pair of well-fitting jeans and a decent top to run an errand? I found some jeans in a cut that looks good on me--dark denim straight legs--and bought three pairs. I also found some cute surplice-cut v-necked cotton knit tops to go with them. So now I just need to grab a couple of these "default garments" to put on before I have to leave the house.

And the "easy sleazy"? Why--because she wound up with a couple of sleeveless things, and dresses that show she's got an actual waistline? That gal looked twenty years younger and several sizes slimmer just by wearing clothes that fit well!

I basically agree that it's the high standards that make it a losing battle. I think it would be naive to believe that clothing can be statementless, but the way it is packaged is that you either make the "right" statement (basically conservative professional or slave to designer labels) or the "wrong" statement (literally anything else). WNTW, from what I remember of it, really pushes the professional look and doesn't seem to acknowledge that people might be more comfortable and more confident in a more unusual style.

(FWIW, I really like Greta Christina's take on fashion and feminist here: http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2011/ ... ist-issue/)

That blog is interesting.

I don't fall in line w/ her 100%, mostly because I'd like to be able to opt out of that game.

But she does touch on something that I've been working on myself...the idea that 'female interests' are not 'lesser' than male interests--that deriding fashion/pink/whatever is essentially done for it's female-ness and is misogynistic in it's own right.

(I'm working on it, truly, w/ my daughter. Because my first instinct is to go "blech, pink/girly/barbie-e/fashionista/etc" and put something back on the shelf. I'm still encouraging her away from some of that [because of the fact that she's got so much else 'pinkification' pulling her TOWARD *vauge hand gesturing* that], but I'm working [failing, but trying] at recognizing that if that ends up being her preference, it's not bad and it shouldn't be belittled)

For me, budget is a big issue re: WNTW. You take in a couple of big suitcases full of clothes for them to throw out, and you come back with (typically) 10-20 pieces of clothing or accessories based on the stores that they make you shop at.

A year ago, I would have agreed with you, but since I discovered Project333, I've learned that it really is possible to get by with a small selection of wardrobe pieces and accessories. I also made a commitment in January to buy no new clothing or accessories in 2012 - halfway there (successfully, so far!) - and am happily less tied up in buying clothes or even spending time browsing.

I don't watch WNTW every day, so I may be wrong about this, but don't they counsel mostly working women, or at least women who are in the public eye? Not moms who are home all day with little kids. I totally agree with the idea that a woman who wants to be taken seriously at her job or position should dress in a manner that commands respect but doesn't deny her femininity.

And I don't think they demand that people shop at high dollar stores. An episode I saw last week showed the woman shopping at Ross, a national chain of stores that sell discounted apparel.

I'm with both of you. My motto is "If a skinny woman wouldn't wear it, why the hell should I?" Because I hate shopping and hiking all over a mall to find what I need, I buy most of my clothes online. It makes it easier for me to winnow through the virtual "racks" and zero in on the cuts and fabrics I want. The feedback posted re fit is often useful, too. I just have to delay gratification and wait for the stuff to be delivered--and any extra time necessary should I have to exchange it. Fortunately, I can sew, and do most of my own alterations.

I agree with MrsYoungie--why is it any harder to throw on a pair of well-fitting jeans and a decent top to run an errand? I found some jeans in a cut that looks good on me--dark denim straight legs--and bought three pairs. I also found some cute surplice-cut v-necked cotton knit tops to go with them. So now I just need to grab a couple of these "default garments" to put on before I have to leave the house.

And the "easy sleazy"? Why--because she wound up with a couple of sleeveless things, and dresses that show she's got an actual waistline? That gal looked twenty years younger and several sizes slimmer just by wearing clothes that fit well!

I don't think it is easier to throw on a pair of jeans, just more comfortable to stay in the yoga pants. If I'm not in a professional setting, why shouldn't comfort and weather approporiate be my only consideration? I don't look around at what other people are wearing at Target, and I don't care if other people do.

I don't think it is easier to throw on a pair of jeans, just more comfortable to stay in the yoga pants. If I'm not in a professional setting, why shouldn't comfort and weather approporiate be my only consideration? I don't look around at what other people are wearing at Target, and I don't care if other people do.

People of Walmart? :lol:

My nightmare is to appear on that web site.

I do think we at least owe it to our fellow humans to not have our appearance make them want to pour acid into their own eyes. I had such an experience at the physio's yesterday. I dress comfortably for these appointments as they are almost equivalent to the gym. However! a man came in dressed in filthy clothing and an open plaid shirt with his belly hanging out. I sure hope he was comfortable, because he made me uncomfortable as hell.

I know this is an extreme example, but my position on dressing for public view stands.

My nightmare is to appear on that web site.

I do think we at least owe it to our fellow humans to not have our appearance make them want to pour acid into their own eyes. I had such an experience at the physio's yesterday. I dress comfortably for these appointments as they are almost equivalent to the gym. However! a man came in dressed in filthy clothing and an open plaid shirt with his belly hanging out. I sure hope he was comfortable, because he made me uncomfortable as hell.

I know this is an extreme example, but my position on dressing for public view stands.

I think you hit it on the head.

I remember they discuss this quite a lot on the show. Basically according to C&S, and I agree with them, your clothes play a big part in how people perceive you, especially if they don't actually know you.

I'll admit that people who dress badly make a bad first impression on me. Like, "What is wrong with that person man who cannot change out of his pajamas before they leave the house?" or "That woman has quite the spare tire, and while there's nothing wrong with that, why can't she get a shirt that actually covers her midriff?" or "Why does that woman, who might have softened a bit as she got older, choose clothes that make her look so much worse?"

It's not a judgment on how they look, per se, but wondering if they can't seem to get their wardrobe together, what else are they incapable of handling? Several of the people on the show had been held back from promotions at work, for example, in part because of how they looked.

I'm certainly not at the height of fashion, but I'll echo what the others said, even with little kids it's not.that.hard to pull on moderately nice clothes instead of my dedicated "at home only" clothes before I leave.

If you're in the right size yoga pants and a tee shirt at Walmart, you're overdressed. :o That's what i've learned from THAT website.

If you're in the right size yoga pants and a tee shirt at Walmart, you're overdressed. :o That's what i've learned from THAT website.

I know, I'm just amazed by how many people on there manage to forget their pants.

For some reason, I kinda think that was the intended look. That said, I hope I never end up on People of Walmart.

People do judge us on the way we dress. If I'm in a professional setting, yeah I'll wear a nice suit. If I'm running to the store? I just don't care what you think of me. I'm never dirty or revealing too much but I have worn workout clothes. Judge away.

I think that I'm so conscious of the way I dress because I am a Woman of Great Scope and Magnitude, am nearly 60, and nowhere near pretty.

For some reason, I kinda think that was the intended look. That said, I hope I never end up on People of Walmart.
You're probably right. But the look says "I'm batshit crazy" and I suspect that wasn't what they were going for.

I think that I'm so conscious of the way I dress because I am a Woman of Great Scope and Magnitude, am nearly 60, and nowhere near pretty.

You and me both. I would use the word magnificent instead of pretty.

My most recent job, I worked at a software development company, running everything. On more than one occasion, I had to have a heart to heart with a young woman, smart as a whip, but who looked like an over stuffed Kardashian, and dressed like one too. She had no idea that people were not taking her seriously because she was wearing a cocktail dress and hooker heels to work. She changed her dress style and noticed that "all of a sudden people are treating me way differently!". She was 25, and no one had ever bothered to mention it to her before. Probably because the male management enjoyed the flesh parade.

My most recent job, I worked at a software development company, running everything. On more than one occasion, I had to have a heart to heart with a young woman, smart as a whip, but who looked like an over stuffed Kardashian, and dressed like one too. She had no idea that people were not taking her seriously because she was wearing a cocktail dress and hooker heels to work. She changed her dress style and noticed that "all of a sudden people are treating me way differently!". She was 25, and no one had ever bothered to mention it to her before. Probably because the male management enjoyed the flesh parade.

It may also be an awkward conversation for male management to have, without getting complaints for sexism or sexual harassment.

I really dislike What Not to Wear. I watched it a lot a few years ago, but I was driven away by the fact that they don't seem to take people's personal style into consideration. I'm all for professional dress, but people have different jobs. People have different tastes. And while I understand that certain body types shouldn't wear certain styles, some of us really like those styles and don't want to be stuck wearing the same stupid outfit every day because they threw away all of my options and left me with a sundress and fitted jacket (which I won't wear, because they aren't comfortable.)

As for dressing to go to the store, I always make sure I am dressed. Not to the nines or anything, but I have run into my boss at the store before and when it happens I prefer to have the advantage of not looking like I rolled out of bed/just ran a marathon/can't handle my booze.

However, If WNTW came to my location, I'd probably try to get on the show. I've gained and lost a lot of weight and my style has changed, and I'd like to see what they come up with in [link=]The Worst Dressed City[/link]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/travel-leisure/americas-worstdressed-peo_b_1543505.html#s=1018027

ETA: I have no idea how links work.

I used to be quite the WNTW fan. Back in the early days of the show it seemed like they really took people's lifestyles and whatnot into account and gave them good tips on how to dress for their body type. But recently it seems like they want to turn everyone they get into a fashionista. The "afters" always look so freaking dressed up and I'm always thinking I would never wear those outfits every day, only if I was getting dressed up for a special event.

I think must be the only person alive who doesn't find sweatpants/yoga pants comfortable. I wear them to workout in, but that's it. For just lounging around, I much, much, much prefer jeans. I will admit to having gone to the grocery store in pajamas and a coat once or twice, though, if I needed milk for my morning coffee or something. I'm all for dressing to make a statement/a good first impression/whatever, but I don't think I've ever paid one wit of attention to what anyone in the grocery store is wearing.

I had no idea that I have been grossly violating the sensibilities of the world the last couple years. I live in yoga pants. My mom wardrobe is yoga pants, a camisole bra top, and a long sleeved tissue weight tee. Apparently it's just me, but I think I look great. The yoga pants have a little flare and a pattern on the bottom that makes my legs look longer and slimmer, the shirt clings enough to show off my curves, but is long enough to cover my butt (and any panty lines), and the camisole shows off just a hint of bosom.

And of course it is the most comfortable thing in the world. I can roll around on the floor with my baby, run for the bus, walk all day long, nurse at a moment's notice without flashing anyone, and handle a range of weather conditions.

I completely fail to understand why jeans are supposed to be more respectable. Is it because they're bulkier? Is the problem that my yoga pants show off my legs? Then why are yoga pants lumped in with sweat pants, which aren't skin tight?

I mean, I get that my look is not 'professional'. But in the area of casual, why is wearing yoga pants out in the world bad, but jeans good?

I really hate the idea that anybody has an obligation to look 'acceptable' to others.

Also aelar, I too am puzzled as to why jeans are OK but yoga pants aren't. My hips are wider than my waist and so buying jeans is a nightmare - yoga pants are far comfier.

I had no idea that me and half the other mums at the school gate were comitting such a sin against decency in our yoga pants and tunic style tees. I think we all figure if we aren't that mum in her pjs in any given morning we're doing well.

I have a whole heap of professional clothes packed up that I occasionally look at with regret then pack away again, even though they are all a size too small now. They represent a part of me that I value and enjoy but that I can't express right now. And I shock myself by remembering the prices. Did I really once spend $300 on a skirt? Really? Cause that would buy a child's whole winter wardrobe, probably with change.

But as far as a full time mummy wardrobe goes, comfy, cheap, washable and not needing ironing are what I look for, and yoga pants fit the bill. I don't see them as only work out wear, and they are a lot more flattering than sweat pants.

Archived