IGNORED

Knowing It All, and Telling Others How It Should Be Done

bea

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a rule to live by.

We even expanded it after our 9th year when we both got the flu the same week that "only one person gets to be sick at a time". We're hoping we can figure out a way to obey that rule because with two of us sick neither of us had anyone to take care of us and it was horrible.

So did I. And I was a pretty darn perfect parent and knew all the answers before I had kids. Kids ruined my perfect parenting.

I too was a perfect parent once. Then I had children. Sadly, many of my ideas were right- I just lacked compassion, humility, and I had no idea how hard it is implement all these "great ideas" on another human being!

I do think age has something to do with it. In general, experience comes with age. The longer you live, the more experiences you have. You have more opportunities to fail, stuff happens to you, you watch stuff happen to other people, you reach the end of yourself and do all the stuff you swore you would never do, etc., etc. Eventually, this makes you wary of giving advice, and more prone to listen to others and have some compassion on their situation. The trouble with these bloggers is they have alot of information, but no wisdom, no true humility, and no compassion.

This is the marital rule we live by - Thou shalt not drop a deuce in the can whilst thy spouse in the shower.

You obviously are not conducting your marriage the right way.

The rule is do not FLUSH while the spouse is in the shower, because we have 100+ year old plumbing and flushing makes the water skin-scaldingly hot.

Naturally, one of us forgets about once a week.

We also have a rule about outside interests. As in - have them. We are each involved in one thing that the other has absolutely zippo interest in. Mr. B plays insanely complex board games. I'm a student of the occult. Separate hobbies - it works!

You obviously are not conducting your marriage the right way.

Hmph! I think my headship would disagree! Let me ask him, though, because I'm incapable of forming my own opinions. [/fundie wife]

We also have a rule about outside interests. As in - have them.

Oh, hell yes!

This is a timely topic for me, as my husband and I were married six months ago yesterday (yesterday being technically about 1 1/2 hours ago in my time zone). It inspired my tongue-in-cheek Facebook status:

"I just realized I have officially been married for more than six months. I believe that qualifies me as an expert on all marriages and relationships and that I am officially allowed, nay, EXPECTED to bestow my wonderful relationship advice on any couple or single person I can find. For all future recipients of such wisdom- you're welcome. =)"

Archived