IGNORED

Miss Raquel's friends refuse only focus on her

formergothardite

I hope for her own sake she is just in a particularly self-absorbed teenage phase and will grow out of it. We all know posting publicly about someone is super passive aggressive even if you keep them "anonymous" - pretty sure many people close to her will know who she is talking about.

I can understand maybe feeling frustrated if you really needed to vent and your friend was legitimately not listening, but like others said, why not just start the conversation saying you need to vent? And knowing Raquel, I doubt her friend was not listening vs. maybe listening while Raquel told the story and then actually wanted to talk about things other than Raquel. Maybe he/she has their own problems and life outside of Raquel!!!111! I got mad at a friend once when she kept bugging me about not replying to her facebook posts and I finally was able to tell her that I'd been unable to reply because I had had emergency (major) surgery. She replied with a huge report of her trip to Paris without even a "get well soon". In that case I felt like she was being a little self-absorbed. However, for some reason I doubt this is what R's friend was acting like...

Yeah, I don't do musical theatre myself, but this is what my friends and sister who have auditioned have usually experienced. Then again, it could be a fundie audition, possibly run by someone who has never had any real experience with theatre, in which I'm sure Anything Goes. (Sorry for the musical theatre pun. Sort-of.)

I was also thinking it could be some kind of fundie run theater event. Here in my area, a megachurch put on a musical a few years back.

Maybe the dance portion was too defrauding for God's super special snowflake to defile herself by participating,

I often wonder if she just has a bad case of teenageritis or if she is teetering on the brink of diagnosable craziness. I can't recall ever thinking in high school, "Man, I just want a nice, relaxing evening making someone listen to how awesome I am! Oh, I guess they can tell me how much they love me, too."

The more I read about her the more I think she has a real mental problem other than being naive and a teenager. She is too self-involved.

If she wanted some "me-time", why didn't she just switch off her phone? That is, unless "me-time" doesn't mean "spending time alone", which is how I've always interpreted it, but in fact "talking to people about myself", in which case she should have been up-front about feeling shitty and wanting to talk about it rather than posting a passive-aggressive post on her blog.

To the world "me time" is time alone, to Miss Raquel, "me time" is talking to people about how awesome she is and having them fawn over her and tell her how stupid/ungrateful/selfish others are for not giving Miss Raquel what she clearly deserves!

I hope for her own sake she is just in a particularly self-absorbed teenage phase and will grow out of it. We all know posting publicly about someone is super passive aggressive even if you keep them "anonymous" - pretty sure many people close to her will know who she is talking about.

I can understand maybe feeling frustrated if you really needed to vent and your friend was legitimately not listening, but like others said, why not just start the conversation saying you need to vent? And knowing Raquel, I doubt her friend was not listening vs. maybe listening while Raquel told the story and then actually wanted to talk about things other than Raquel. Maybe he/she has their own problems and life outside of Raquel!!!111! I got mad at a friend once when she kept bugging me about not replying to her facebook posts and I finally was able to tell her that I'd been unable to reply because I had had emergency (major) surgery. She replied with a huge report of her trip to Paris without even a "get well soon". In that case I felt like she was being a little self-absorbed. However, for some reason I doubt this is what R's friend was acting like...

Yeah, I don't do musical theatre myself, but this is what my friends and sister who have auditioned have usually experienced. Then again, it could be a fundie audition, possibly run by someone who has never had any real experience with theatre, in which I'm sure Anything Goes. (Sorry for the musical theatre pun. Sort-of.)

I agree with this whole post, but especially the bolded part. We all need to vent and there is nothing wrong with that. But I'd guess that most of us, if we really needed to vent, would say something along the lines of "I had a hard day, mind if I talk about it?" You can't complain about not getting something if you don't ask. To just assume that someone knows you need to vent is arrogant. I'm certain that she's done the same thing to friends before, talking about herself when they needed to vent. But I'd bet that her friends didn't blog about their "friend" who was just so vewy, vewy mean.

She needs to grow up and realize life isn't all about her.

I wonder as well if the friend didn't know what to say. We had a family member who was murdered and my mum emailed one of her besties across the other side of the border to tell her, not trusting her voice. Back came an email about said bestie's cat and the cute things it had been doing, with not so much as a "I am sorry to hear your news."

Mum was raging but when we talked about it we realised the friend was a person who struggled to express strong emotion. Likely she had had no clue what to say, and thought "I will try to cheer [my mum] up by telling her some nice stories." It was probably a kind motive, not a cruel one. Miss Raquel's friend could be the same.

To the world "me time" is time alone, to Miss Raquel, "me time" is talking to people about how awesome she is and having them fawn over her and tell her how stupid/ungrateful/selfish others are for not giving Miss Raquel what she clearly deserves!

QFT. If I want alone time, I don't text my friends telling them how rubbish I feel, expecting them to tell me how awesome I am.

And if I do feel rubbish and text a friend, I wouldn't then passive-agressively complain about them then offloading on me!! That's how friendships work in my world...

Eleventy!!!1! on the dance auditions, they're done in groups to see what you're capable of (like who get's the cancan scene in Oklahoma). Methinks Miss. Raquel can't sing, and no one has the guts to tell her.

Eleventy!!!1! on the dance auditions, they're done in groups to see what you're capable of (like who get's the cancan scene in Oklahoma). Methinks Miss. Raquel can't sing, and no one has the guts to tell her.

I'm starting to think that is the case. Last year, Miss Raquel put up a posting in which she said that people who go to karaoke places, should be encouraged to learn how to sing or they should be singers, instead of just doing karaoke for fun. I remember that posting being discussed here. I thought Miss Raquel was ridiculous to think that. Some people who do karaoke do it, simply to have fun and poke fun of themselves for not being singers. Miss Raquel seemed unable to understand that not everyone can learn a skill. I wouldn't be surprised if she is a terrible singer and nobody in her family or her group of friends wants to tell her that.

And there's this

I was going to just 'back away' from my friends for a little bit...and see if they beg me to tell them what's wrong spend more time with God.

I'm starting to think that is the case. Last year, Miss Raquel put up a posting in which she said that people who go to karaoke places, should be encouraged to learn how to sing or they should be singers, instead of just doing karaoke for fun. I remember that posting being discussed here. I thought Miss Raquel was ridiculous to think that. Some people who do karaoke do it, simply to have fun and poke fun of themselves for not being singers. Miss Raquel seemed unable to understand that not everyone can learn a skill. I wouldn't be surprised if she is a terrible singer and nobody in her family or her group of friends wants to tell her that.

She'd like it in Japan, then. You rent a room for yourself/your friends to sing in, and she could have one all to herself-then post about how passerby were 'amazed' by her singing.

I've gone out for karaoke with both groups-with singers and with people doing it just for fun, and while I sing, the latter is more fun to be out with. Hopefully one day she'll realize one does not have to be perfect, or pretend to be perfect at everything.

As a theater geek, I could only laugh when I read this:

You have no idea how refreshed and at peace I felt afterwards. I had been debating with myself whether I should go back in and have another try at the audition, but...no. God didn't want me there. It wasn't the right place for me to be.

Sweetie, I know they act like it all the time but you really don't have to refer to the director as God.

Also, if I were a director and some self-involved twit returned to an audition she walked out of and asked to try again, I probably would act like God and just tell her no.

Theater is not for the faint of heart, delicate speshul snowflakes of this world. Hell, I work for a performing arts center and it took three years before the union stagehands would show me the slightest bit of respect (i.e., talk to my face and not my breasts).

She seems to believe that she's so unique, so amazing that she should've just been able to show up to get a part. I bet you anything she sucked and was dismissed.

She isn't a very good writer, but there doesn't seem to be anyone around to tell her that.

I think Miss Raquel is very sheltered and has a very entitled attitude. I agree with what Gizmola said, theater isn't for the faint of heart. MR doesn't have thick skin and she will not admit that she likely wasn't good enough to get a part. I get the vibe that her parents aren't too tough with her and they aren't preparing for the rejections that happen in life.

ETA: It's midnight on a Saturday night in the UK, so...posting under the influence. :oops: Please ignore me.

Archived