IGNORED

Jewish Women Kidnapped By Fundamentalists

RR88

This isn't too new, but I just found out about it. It's a sort of documentary that covers an Israeli ultra-religious organization that is said to rescue Jewish women who have been coerced into marriages to Muslim men, but is also accused of forcibly kidnapping these women (who have willingly married their husbands). It's in Hebrew, but there is a lot of discussion in English about this on the internet.

There's so much theocrazy (not a typo) under the surface in Israel that I am a bit nervous about traveling there after I graduate college. Things seem to have gotten worse since the last time I was there.

http://roshpinaproject.com/2011/03/31/i ... ht-police/

It does seem that the Haredim in Israel have gotten crazier and more extreme over the past few years (gender-segregated buses, beating women who do not conform to their standards of dress, etc). But this definitely just crosses the line into a whole new level of scary. Worst of all, I've heard this "organization" has been setting up shop in Jewish communities outside Israel.

Worst of all, I've heard this "organization" has been setting up shop in Jewish communities outside Israel.

Link, please? That's terrifying. :shock:

Oh, I've seen that. That doesn't mean they're doing operations in the United States. It just means they receive most of their donations from Americans.

Archived