IGNORED

Who do you feel sorry for in Duggar and Bates family?

homeschoolmomma1

I don't follow other fundies besides the Duggars and Bates. As you all know I started rewatching the Duggar episodes in order and sometimes I get a sense of sadness for the family- mostly the kids. I was wondering who you feel sorry for?

also off topic but I was going through vhs tapes and found Jon and Kate plus 8 episodes- I can't believe I taped that train wreak :doh:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel bad for Michaela Bates, because Erin gets all the attention

Probably all the kids below Ginger as far as the Duggar go.

Out of the J'Slaves, I feel extremely sorry for Jana. She seems depressed at times and I think has attempted to spit out the Kool-Aid on Boob and Mullet's faces and as a result she got sent away to certain place. I do feel sorry for the other J'Slaves, but they have gotten a big smug and I'm starting to have a hard time sympathizing with them. I do feel sorry for Josiah, Joy, and the younger kids.

Out of the Bates family, I feel sorry for Lawson and Michaela. Lawson seems like a nice kid whose parents take advantage of him for money reasons.

Jana. She always looks sad. She's had a tough life, for someone her age. She often comes across as a girl with a lot of native intelligence that's being wasted while her mother and father spout simple-minded cliches and leave her to care for siblings.

I also feel bad for Jinger and Jessa because they have a shitload of promise and strike me as FAR more intelligent - like light years ahead - of their brothers.

All the kids in both families. Even Josh, though only up to a point. They're all so sheltered, and they're all products of their environment. It's obvious through their "smug moments."

I have to say though, I feel the worst for Johannah, Jennifer, and Jordyn. Johannah's spirit is going to be broken within a few years and she's going to be married off as soon as possible after that so Jim Bob won't have to keep supporting her. Jennifer and Jordyn are ignored completely, probably because they're 'normal' children in a houseful of Howlers, overworked J'slaves, and precious Josie. This isn't anything personal against Josie and she definitely needs the extra attention, but it's clear to me that JB and Michelle are pimping her out at the expense of her sisters. Of course, if JB and Michelle ever have #20, Josie's going to be ignored too.

All the Duggar kids (except Josh) and Anna! I've been feeling sorry for Anna since seeing the birth on the toilet video. Did she want it taped? She tried to hide in the toilet! I think she wanted some privacy. Also, she's stuck with Josh who is really annoying.

I don't know the Bates.

Everyone except Jim Bob, Michelle, Gil, and Kelly. I don't feel sorry for them because I am pretty sure none of them grew up in hard-core fundamentalism... for whatever reasons, they have freely chosen this as consenting adults. So they must like how the system works and they at least got to make the choice to join (even if there is an argument for them being brainwashed by now).

The kids never got that chance to have a "normal" foundation. So even smuggar (whom I loathe) gets my sympathy, because he didn't choose to be born into that.

Grandma Dugger. She's got to toe the party line just to see her grand kids....

I forgot about her. I agree she does toe the line for her grandkids and I think Boob and Mullet take advantage of her. I also sometimes feel sorry for Amy, Deanna and Deanna's husband Terry. I think Boob has probably made them feel shit in the past with his smug attitude.

In the Duggar family, it's hard to pick just one. Jana seems so sweet and good natured, but looks like she is far, far into the whole lifestyle and Gothard cult that I fear she might never get out of it. Josiah seems very much aware of a reality outside of the Duggar mentality, but as we saw with the J20 announcement, they are already trying to make him a clone. And with Josie, I just feel desperately troubled and concerned about the blindingly obvious developmental difficulties she is going through, and the fact she simply won't get the professional support she needs, not to mention being the (likely) last child who will have elderly parents and god knows what life when she is 21.

Not sure I feel sorry for Grandma. She's fundy lite. Moreover, J'boob and the Mullet need her free services. Plus having her around makes them look good as in "O look, we took in poor bereaved Grandma after her husband we hate croaked."

ETA: Grandma might have more power than she exerts, except that's she's consumed the kool-aid. After all, she stole mud from the Dead Sea to smuggle back home.

The little ones really, as they wont get the parental attention. I feel a little sorry for the older kids, they're brainwashed so what choice do they have.

Johanna, jennifer and jordon

I saw this one episode with hannie climbing the bus rail and I remember thinking she should be in gymnastics but won't get the chance, also liked her " girls can be astronauts" bit

Jennifer and jordon hardly even speak or apear on the show

Jana because she seems to have way more responsibilities dumped on her than the other 3 J'Slaves, and whilst she is evidently looking for a husband - either because she wants to escape the TTH or because she's drunk the housewife kool-aid - the hunt appears to be fruitless.

Josie because the family seems determined to pretend she wasn't a micropreemie. I can only hope they're, for some unfathomable reason, taking her to therapy off camera.

Joy because she seemed so independent and intelligent and they've only started crushing it out of her, it's not too late! Josiah because he appears uncomfortable in the family, I don't think he likes it there. His reaction to Michelle's pregnancy announcement was a major hint at that.

Really, all the girls because their prospects are so limited - even more than those of the boys which aren't great either.

Oh, and Anna. I don't think she was roped into this non-consensually despite her initial shyness, but she was born into this life and she she is meek to the point of seeming helpless, and it's pathetic.

I feel bad for Josiah with the boys. He seems like he wants to get out of the family. I also noticed that he asked an intelligent question on the world tour about Stonehenge- unlike Jim Bob and Josh he doesn't want to look like an idiot or be disrespectful.

Also the little ones born during the show- they know nothing about life before the cameras. They like Joyanna and Josiah are will get their spirit kicked out of them.

I feel sorry for all the kids in both families, even that idiot Josh Duggar. Their parents had normal upbringings and CHOSE this perversion. The kids had/have no choice. Some of them may be more sympathetic than others, but I think they all got dealt a really lousy hand.

Grandma Dugger. She's got to toe the party line just to see her grand kids....

I don't feel bad from Grandma Duggar. She has her own home (homes?) and her own resources and she could stay with Deanna and her family if she isn't willing or able to live alone. She could also be a voice of reason and try to help those kids instead of just going along for the ride.

She raised her own children normally, her daughter leads a normal life and allows her own daughter to do so. She is one person who has a relationship with JimBob that would allow her to question what he is doing to his children by isolating them and neglecting their education. Plus JimBob and Michelle have been publicly saying nasty things about her late husband, and she just stays in the background smiling, which seems like a sort of endorsement.

Plenty of grandparents don't live with their grandchildren or agree with their children's lifestyles and they still have relationships with the family. I don't think the Duggars would totally cut her off, they haven't cut off Amy or Deanna.

It always makes me sad when I remember JimBob and Michelle saying that Jana used to be a lot like Hannie. They are saying "Jana used to be a little hellion too, but now she's a lovely, quiet, submissive young lady", but I see it as she was a clever, spirited, bright girl til the toll of raising her siblings and the expectations placed on her to conform took all that away and made her the slightly empty puppet we see going through the motions for the camera.

I feel most sorry for Johanna Duggar because her extroverted personality and intelligence will be beat out of her to mold her into the perfect submissive helpmeet. She's the last person that should ever be submissive. It's also a tragedy that her natural intelligence will be wasted on Michelle's poor excuse for an education. That girl has the talent to study anything, but she'll never be allowed to.

Michaella and Lawson Bates.

Jana, Josiah, Joy, the Lost Girls, and especially Josie who is definitely NOT getting the therapies she needs. Sarah Pope blogs about her son going to different therapists a couple times a week and I think some come to her house. It shows; he's 4 months younger than Josie, but seems to be more advanced. They just let Josie run around with the Howlers, receiving "correction" she doesn't understand as she tries to lug a stroller up that deathtrap staircase.

As far as the Bates go, I actually feel sorry for Erin. Michaella seems like she could be content with the life she has, she likes sewing and the babies, and soon she'll have her own husband and babies to sew god awful matching outfits for.

But Erin seems to want more. She's grabbed as much as her family and circumstances will allow her to have, but that's little enough (a few chaperoned classes at a very conservative college, teaching piano, making a Gothard approved CD of hymns). She reminds me of Jessa - some see princesses, but I see ambitious women who want to succeed and gain a sense of achievement channelling their energy into the only avenues that they are allowed. If the only thing they are allowed to aspire to be is fundie princesses then they are going to be the best damn fundie princesses they can be, but it doesn't seem to make them happy.

There is also a middle Bates daughter, Katie I think, who we never really see or hear about, either on the blog or television, and I always wonder why.

I could probably make the argument that I feel sorriest for most of them, save for Smugly and Boob. Currently, my heart goes out to Joy the most. You can see the individuality is leaking from her - happy little 'tomboy', cute hair of her own - being molded into another Duggar Daughter.

For me, it is the lost girls, especially Jordyn. She seems to be the most forgotten child in that home. I remember her roaming the living room, alone, sitting in her high chair alone at the dining room table climbing up and then crawling up that stupid staircase, again alone. Right now, Hannie has Jackson, Jennifer has her "Dill" but Jordyn seems to have no one. Did her buddy give up?

I think Jinger or Jessa is Jordyn's buddy. They were both there at the birth, and I remember something being said about it.

Archived