IGNORED

I was just visited by the Jehovah's Witnesses!

Nothing2CHere

I don't disdain LDS people. I feel bad for them. Smith, Young, et.al. turned a religion of salvation and grace into a fear-based membership business, basically.

But how is that any different from what the evangelicals do? Don't get me wrong, I have no love for Mormons, but I don't think they're any worse than other Christians in the fear/control department. I've had way more bad experiences with Baptists than with Mormons. Comparing Baptist and Mormon summer camp, I felt much more welcome at the latter.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Merci, bellatrix.

Marseille? I've heard it's got its rough patches.

Still, my happiness for the day is the thought of what you wrote above:

I do like that concept/reality!

Marseille, yes, with its rougher corners and its very lovely ones too...

I must say that public school here has been one of my favourite parts of life growing up. Seeing all these three religions blend in, with the majority of atheists, has been very liberating for the soul. I didn't realise my luck until I was confronted with religious hatred when I went studying abroad.

MamaJunebug- fair enough, but this woman worked with me at a school. You'd think that she'd engage in the career-wide pastime, ie snarking on the kids after they've gone home and faculty is still stuck there. At least a little bit. But she never really took that bait.

Merci, bellatrix.

Marseille? I've heard it's got its rough patches.

Still, my happiness for the day is the thought of what you wrote above:

I do like that concept/reality!

I like that concept. That's why I've chosen to reside in Boregonia, in my little bubble. Oh yea there are fundies who are outliers, but they just don't participate in community by their own choice.

My cure for the proselytizers of any brand is to drop to my knees and loudly announce, "Let me pray for your immortal soul." Clutching a Bible or rosary is also useful. It lasts for about 20 years.

Bloo, it was my (limited) experience that observant JWs didn't have a lot to talk about other than their religion.

I became friends with a family of JWs and did a bible study with them (or rather, we used Watchtower books) for about six months. During that period, they took me on a tour of the Watchtower Society headquarters in Brooklyn NY and to one of their conventions and I attended their Kingdom Hall several times. They were fun to hang out with and very nice people. But I was in my "searching for meaning" stage at that point so when I called them one day to tell them about an Assemblies of God church I had visited, they dropped me like a hot potato. If they determine they can't convert you, they don't waste any more time on you. At least that is my experience.

We have them at the public library. Its funny listening to these kids get caught up in a debate with the old Jewish men who sit and play chess all day. "So sonny, you're an elder? You're 19? So what's with the nametag that says elder? You know I worked in the garment district 42 years? You look thin, are you eating? Why aren't you in college?" The rest of the old people are ethnic Catholics (Italians , Polish) who don't take kindly to having some pipsqueak tell them they've been doing it wrong all these years. Once there were some Jews for Jesus at the mall parking lot but they were made to feel unwelcome - basically by the old Jewish men.

We have them at the public library. Its funny listening to these kids get caught up in a debate with the old Jewish men who sit and play chess all day. "So sonny, you're an elder? You're 19? So what's with the nametag that says elder? You know I worked in the garment district 42 years? You look thin, are you eating? Why aren't you in college?"

This sounds like a superb movie scene. I can just imagine it... :D

• 2 months later...

Bumping this to tell my own visitation story that just happened. Never had any trouble in this apartment complex, but apparently it was short lived. I hope I drove him away enough. This guy was more talkative than others I met.

it's not even 11AM (ok we got home very late last night ahha) and someone rings the bell. I open the door and this guy all dressed up is there with his sons (about 4-7 yo) and he has watchtower pamphlets. So I already know it's Jeovah's witness time. So he starts giving it to me and I say, I'm sorry but I'm not interested.

He's like oh can I ask why because blabla they meet a lot of people) I say sure I have another religion.

Which one? Catholic (I feel like it's such a wrong guess in this town lol) I say I'm Pagan. He asks me what led me to that path? (led to what? drugs?) So I just confidently tell him I believe there is more than one God, and when he starts talking I say immediately so I believe I would not be a good fit for you. Thank you for caring, and have a good day. He finally got the hint and left.

Hopefully he won't come back.

Archived