IGNORED

Oklahoma Publisher Prays With, Fires 25 Workers

SamuraiKatz

What a douche....a snip from the article at ABC news....

In a vitriolic rant captured by a Tate Publishing employee and given to The Journal Record, Tate sounded more like a teacher cracking students with a ruler rather than the scion of a family-owned Christian company. He threatened to sue employees and file liens against their homes and automobiles if they violated their employee contracts by talking to the media or posting neagative comments on places like Facebook. And he said he would fire 25 productions workers after no one came forward to take responsibility for the anonymous email.

"Proverbs says that the wicked will set a trap, but the righteous will prevail and the wicked will fall into their own trap," he said in the recording. "A lot of good people are going to get hurt."

"To those of you paying an unfair price, I'm really sorry," he continued, choking back tears. "I'll pray for you and pray for your families. I can't turn away on this one. Not at this time when we have so much to accomplish. I love you, I'm praying for all of you."

How nice..he's praying for them...

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/oklahoma ... 9Ve_NXY9wV

So... someone says something to him he doesn't like, so he fires 25 random people and sobs...

Um... hm..

I really hope there is a good lawyer in Oklahoma ready to nail this turd with a class action.

This is all disciplinary actions – it's nothing to do with the company or outsourcing," Tate told The Journal Record. "It saddens me in this day and age, and in this economy, that anybody would have the stupidity to not understand an employee contract they've signed."

What a jerk.

What a jerk.

Agreed.

This story is very disturbing.

BTW Tate - The US courts have ruled repeatedly that neither blanket consents, nor (especially) coerced consents hold any force.

The part where he talks about a large lawsuit, and owning them for life...

Yay slavery?

I googled and followed some links, and it APPEARS that there is no lawsuit, that those comments are entirely fictional.

It also appears that the whole Tate publishing is a huge scam-type setup, as far as the way they deal with authors.

What a fucking dickblister son-of-a-bitch. Did I go too far? :twisted:

Yeah, this seems like a dream of a case for a good labor lawyer. Violations abound.

What a jerk.

You know, I signed an employee contract, and I read the whole thing through before I did. I don't think there was anything in there about the employment being terminated for bog-standard complaining about my job. I mean, obviously I'd probably get fired if I started trashing the company, but just "argh my job sucks?!" I don't think so.

Hell, if companies fired everyone who ever complained about their job then the entire world would be unemployed.

Holy shit--I know I mention this a lot when we discuss lunatics, but...he sounds exactly like my ex-boyfriend. Vocal inflections, crocodile tears, statements that don't make sense, verbal abuse, turn of phrase--all of it. What a psychopath. I'm a little surprised if no one walked out.

The thing that gets me is... He keeps repeating that he wish he had another option, then goes on to repeatedly say that even if the person who dared use their freedom of speech anonymously spoke up, he'd still fire innocent people.

My American significant other had to convince me that's not the norm! I was SO mad.

Wow, what a wanker. Aren't there any employment laws he is running foul of here?

Question...can an employer get a life insurance policy on a employee?

Yes, they can. Walmart does it.

This not in any way legal advice.

Much of that contract is boiler plate language, and I would be shocked if Tate Publishing's lawyers approved those employment contracts, because a good management lawyer would never approve an individual employment contract for lower level employees that has a just cause provision. That contract has such a provision, which makes it at least in part a valid, enforcable employment contract. Under the terms of that contract, that those employees cannot be terminated without just cause, which implies due process. I hope those former employees retain a lawyer quickly.

What a fucking dickblister son-of-a-bitch. Did I go too far? :twisted:

Yeah, this seems like a dream of a case for a good labor lawyer. Violations abound.

Dickblister? That is a new one. I like it!

I have a friend who lost her job in this company. She was given until July 1st, unlike most people who were told they had one more day. But she was told she was "restructured" out, and she didn't break any ridiculous contract. She'd only been there for a couple of months and has many health problems which she can barely pay for as it is. She is supposed to have surgery soon, but with what money? This is ridiculous.

I have a friend who lost her job in this company. She was given until July 1st, unlike most people who were told they had one more day. But she was told she was "restructured" out, and she didn't break any ridiculous contract. She'd only been there for a couple of months and has many health problems which she can barely pay for as it is. She is supposed to have surgery soon, but with what money? This is ridiculous.

Possibility of an ADA violation. Hope your friend recovers and finds a better job elsewhere.

Archived