IGNORED

"Modesty" is a lie

AnnieC 305

That whole bit about covering your body so you don't tempt your brother to look and therefor into sin? That meme?

It's all a lie.

niqab-abaya.jpg?w=630

Men are gonna look no matter what you wear. It's THEIR problem to manage, there's nothing YOU can do about it.

Ya know, I raised two sons. I raised them to be gentlemen. If they ever found themselves in a room full of naked women, I would trust them to not start molesting them at random. This is because I raised them to be respectful of themselves, and of others. Including women. I did not raise them to see women as something that exists purely to service men. I have a husband, who I would also trust in a room full of naked women. Because, while he may have a sex drive, he does not see women as purely something that is there to service his needs.

I get that it's sarcasm, but calling that woman misogynistic names bothers me anyway.

It bothers me more that entire cultures actually believe women are sluts/asking to be raped/etc etc for showing a little skin.

Guest Anonymous

It bothers me more that entire cultures actually believe women are sluts/asking to be raped/etc etc for showing a little skin.

I totally agree with you. That also bothers me more. I understand there are different gradations of things that are fucked up, but I have pretty much an unlimited capacity to care about those things. I don't think I was handslappy, I just said I'm not okay with it.

I found this quote:

Moslem (sic) women wearing an abaya and pushi (a cape covering the head a face) would arouse great curiosity among the males seated in the coffee-shops. The men would lustfully appraise them as they passed, speculating, sometimes aloud, on the female forms concealed beneath the robes and veils. The garment conceals the figure almost entirely. The only parts exposed were the ankles, and these, as if to taunt them, were covered with glittering anklets. Lacking alternatives, the men would try to divine a woman's appearance and skin colour from the ankles.

taken from "To Bagdhdad and Back", by Modechai Ben-Porat, page 25.

I found this quote:

taken from "To Bagdhdad and Back", by Modechai Ben-Porat, page 25.

In other words, the real way to be modest then is for women to walk around in bikinis. :twisted:

Guest Anonymous
I get that it's sarcasm, but calling that woman misogynistic names bothers me anyway.

Consider me chastened. I have learnt my lesson about being glib with my use of words. And I have learnt my lesson about judging others for not being instantly enlightened whilst needing to be taught a lesson myself. Thank you to Lissar.

Archived