IGNORED

Maybe you can help - verses ignored by fundies

CanadianHippie

Some of you are former fundies, other just know the bible better than me. Here's my proposition (inspired by one of Josh's instagram photos). I am going to post similar things, but all verses that our favourite fundies have forgotten about or ignored. So can anyone please direct me to your favourite bible verses about loving everyone, helping everyone, being an all around non-bigoted human being with violent tendencies towards small children?

Also if you come up with other verses you think are important just post them.

(I'd have posted this in Josh's instagram thread but I was hoping to keep it organized.)

Also, suggestions on format would be nice, I'd like to have it out there in more than one.

*twitch*

Verses.

With that said, do you mind one on hypocrisy? Because Matthew 6:5 - 6 always fills my heart with dramatic irony.

Matthew 22:36-40 - "“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?â€

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.â€

A passage that bears more repeating in fundie circles. Matthew 7:1-5 is another good passage that I don't see referenced on a lot of fundie blogs all that often.

Guest Anonymous

This is my favorite Bible verse. Note how it doesn't say anything about "as long as they're straight friends" etc.

John 15:13 "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends."

I wouldn't beat on the people that own the kingdom of heaven, personally.

Matthew 19:14 "But Jesus said, "Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

Matthew 18:5-6 "And whoever receives one such child in My name receives Me; but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea."

Matthew 25:40 "The King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.'

All verses from the NASB, as that's my preferred translation.

KJV (cuz it's what the fundies like!) Ephesians 6:4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

And thou shalt not glean thy vineyard, neither shalt thou gather every grape of thy vineyard; thou shalt leave them for the poor and stranger: I am the LORD your God. (Leviticus 19:10)

Several translations use 'foreigner' or 'alien' instead of 'stranger'. It might shock fundies to know that they are supposed to help others, even if the person in need is a gay Jew from Mexico. Oh, and here it is a few chapters later in case it's not clear the first time.

And when ye reap the harvest of your land, thou shalt not make clean riddance of the corners of thy field when thou reapest, neither shalt thou gather any gleaning of thy harvest: thou shalt leave them unto the poor, and to the stranger: I am the LORD your God. (Leviticus 23:22)

*twitch*

Verses.

With that said, do you mind one on hypocrisy? Because Matthew 6:5 - 6 always fills my heart with dramatic irony.

Fixed it. Thanks :)

Hypocrisy is good.

Also, I'm starting to wonder if the KJV just omits Matthew... There seems to be a lot in there about being decent human beings.

Would this work? Its from the kings james bible

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.†(Matthew 7:12)

I like the one where Jesus tells his followers to love everyone. He made the point that even the most horrible people still love their friends and family just fine, so you're nothing special for just loving those like you. It takes something extra to love people who aren't easy to love. I don't know what verse this is though.

I like the one where Jesus tells his followers to love everyone. He made the point that even the most horrible people still love their friends and family just fine, so you're nothing special for just loving those like you. It takes something extra to love people who aren't easy to love. I don't know what verse this is though.

I'll keep an eye out for it.

John 11:35 "Jesus wept."

Probably not one they've ignored, but oh so fitting . . .

Luke 6:32-35 KJV

"32 For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.

33 And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.

34 And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.

35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil."

And I like 1 Timothy 5:8 (especially in light of the Schraders' living situation)

"8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."

But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

I think Smuggass could use a few humility lessions:

God will give ear and humble them, he who is enthroned from of old, Selah because they do not change and do not fear God. Way to stick to your roots and principles.

Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.â€

And, the one that irks me the most - stop being so showy and prideful of your religion:

But you, when you pray, enter into your inner room, and having shut your door, pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

And if a stranger soujourn with thee in you land, ye shall not vex him. But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt; I am the Lord your God.

-Leviticus 19:33-34

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

-Matthew 5:9

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

-Matthew 5:44

Here are the verses bannanacat alluded to:

For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? And if ye salute your brethern only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans do so?

-Matthew 5:46-47

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Matthew 7:1

Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's

-Mark 12:17 Particularly for anti government fundies

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. And now abideth faith, hope, and charity*, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

-Corinthians 13:11-13 *love

All quotes from the KJV, the approved fundie translation.

Galatians 3:28

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

For the PP in particular;

Hebrews 13:17

Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you.

There's a lot of good stuff in the first epistle of John (usually called 1 John for reference), especially in the 4th chapter. Of course it's an epistle, not a gospel, but by their definition, the epistles (written by apostles after Jesus left) are every bit as canonical as the gospels. Also, John is reputed to have written the Book of Revelation, which is the fundy favorite, so he should have some cred.

1 John 4:7-8: Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

One of my favorites is 1 John 4:18, which I like to think about when fundies talk about fear of God--or fear of one's parents: There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

1 John 4:20: Whoever claims to love God, but hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother or sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen. And he has given us this commandment: anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister.

Of course, my old group used to wiggle out of this one by claiming that only True Believers counted as brothers and sisters--thus, we only had to love the people in our own group, not those lousy heathens who were not One of Us. I think most Christians will try to explicate the verse this way. It's quite remarkable, the lengths they will go to to avoid practicing their own religion.

They'll twist the verses to suit their purposes, just like all religions do. The bible is an also an incredibly contradictory book.

Archived