IGNORED

Esther Shrader (Anna Duggar's sister) living in a pop up

xReems

In a child care subsidy, usually you are assigned an amount to pay that is a certain percentage of your income, and then the state pays everything else.

Not according to the local friends of mine - in Oregon - who get subsidies. Read the university link I posted. In some cases, the "co-pays" are more than just paying out of pocket. Another friend of mine applied, but the amount she would have had to pay per child was more than her earning potential, and so she's an at-home mom while her husband works. She was laid off when she was pregnant with her last child from a job she'd had for years. Unless it's changed in the last couple months, then Oregon doesn't tell you to pay X% of your income and they'll pay off the rest. That would open the door for someone to pay a few hundred per month and then pick the most expensive daycare they can find. When the family will have to pay more if they pick a more expensive place, then the family is less likely to look for the Cadillac of daycares.

Different counties might have different agreements though. I've got friends getting subsidies in Multnomah, Clackamas, and Marion, counties.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I get wanting to be a stay at home parent, but when you can't feed your kids and they don't have a proper place to sleep (within the norms of their current society), it's time to at least pretend to be a half-way responsible adult and go job hunting and work on getting jobs working opposite shifts. I would understand the whole "God will provide" BS they spout IF THEY WERE ACTUALLY LIVING WITHIN THEIR SOCIETY'S NORMS FOR CARING FOR THEIR CHILDREN! AHHHH! This kind of thing just really pisses me off! It'd be one thing if they were living in a location where clean drinking water were scarce and a safe location for sleep is a luxury, but they're NOT! They're actively choosing not to get the help they need, not to get the jobs they so desperately need, and not use bc! Family values my ass. They have no regard for anyone older then a fetus/embryo/zygote! :angry-banghead:

If they were turned into DHS/CPS, they might lose their kids. Being homeless (living in a pop-up definitely counts when being in an RV is borderline) isn't automatic grounds for losing kids, but they are not only one wind storm away from not even having their tent on wheels, but this is by their own choosing. They have a house in another state, and they're choosing to live in a tent on wheels that could be wiped out in one moderate wind storm. And they chose to do this in an area where STRONG wind storms are common!

There is only so much in any one person's control. What they need to do is to take up a collection and get the hell out of that area. You don't move to an economically depressed small town in an already-struggling state and expect to be hired over long-time locals and natives who are out of work and who can put down where they went to school (home-schooling is acceptable in some cases) and what jobs they've had. Employers in small Oregon towns WILL hire who they know who needs a job first. Want to know how I know? When the economy was better, I spent three years searching for a job, and learned that it's who you know more than what you know. I had to move out of the state to get a job. I'm back now, and many of my friends with really strong job histories, some with college, all with high school diplomas, are having difficulty finding jobs. And just driving somewhere else isn't a very good option when gas is so fucking expensive. We paid $4.69 per gallon a couple days ago. Gas is painful for us, and we have more resources at our disposal than the Shraders.

They could hardly have chosen a worse place to move. Even if they had high school diplomas, everything is against both of them in that area.

They need to take up a collection and go back to Texas. Even North Dakota is a good idea. They won't freeze to death right now, so there's plenty of time to get work and get into a home, even a rental, and ND is so hard-up that employers are reaching out to people in other states trying to attract desperately-needed employees. What ND has going against it is one of the coldest winters in the US.

That's how it is in most places. I have yet to get a job in the last 5 years that I haven't gotten through networking. People will hire people they know. That's how it works, whether in a small town or a town of a million. If the boss has an underling, for example, and underling says s/he has a friend who's qualified &/or has the experience for the job, guess what? Small town or not, the underling's qualified friend's most likely getting the job. The point isn't that the economy sucks (it does), or that there are few jobs in that area (very few by the sound of things) or even that they have a bajillion kids (and are open for more). The point is they're not even TRYING to give their kids a better life. They care more about this god they've created then they do about the wellfare of their children. The point is they're not acting as parents who give a rat's ass about their "blessings" by doing absolutely everything in their power to get into a permanent dwelling!

There is only so much in any one person's control. What they need to do is to take up a collection and get the hell out of that area. You don't move to an economically depressed small town in an already-struggling state and expect to be hired over long-time locals and natives who are out of work and who can put down where they went to school (home-schooling is acceptable in some cases) and what jobs they've had. Employers in small Oregon towns WILL hire who they know who needs a job first. Want to know how I know? When the economy was better, I spent three years searching for a job, and learned that it's who you know more than what you know. I had to move out of the state to get a job. I'm back now, and many of my friends with really strong job histories, some with college, all with high school diplomas, are having difficulty finding jobs. And just driving somewhere else isn't a very good option when gas is so fucking expensive. We paid $4.69 per gallon a couple days ago. Gas is painful for us, and we have more resources at our disposal than the Shraders.

They could hardly have chosen a worse place to move. Even if they had high school diplomas, everything is against both of them in that area.

They need to take up a collection and go back to Texas. Even North Dakota is a good idea. They won't freeze to death right now, so there's plenty of time to get work and get into a home, even a rental, and ND is so hard-up that employers are reaching out to people in other states trying to attract desperately-needed employees. What ND has going against it is one of the coldest winters in the US.

They did no research when moving. Just like most of the hipsters that moved to portland. They have no job skills and still expect to make it. I am happy I live in Salem. We try to keep it lame here so the hipsters stay away.

There are waiting lists for most government programs out here. I was lucky to get into vocational rehab with only a 2 month waiting period. Now I am fighting to OHP, they keep insisting that I have a disability even though I have latter of job reediness from vocational rehab. I dont want to be on disability, but my unemployment check cant pay for my prescriptions (asthma and anxiety) and other bills.

I am dyslexic so vocational rehab helped me develop cooping skills on the job and got me some technology to help while in the lab.

Again, I say nothing is impossible if you really want it. They could always move to another state with better employment opportunities. They managed to get others to buy them a van and pay off their debt, certainly they could get someone to give them enough money to get back to Texas or over to North Dakota. I just read an article about a young woman who was abandoned by her family at 16 years old (came home from school one day and they were gone). She had to get a full time job as a janitor, but still managed to graduate from high school with a 4.0 GPA and get a scholarship to Harvard. If someone wants to accomplish something badly enough, they'll find a way to get it done. The fact that they are living in a tent on wheels in someone's yard just means they aren't trying hard enough.

One thing about Smuggar that he has over Esther's husband, he would never quit a job to live in a pop-up tent so he could continue to "minister". He would sooner quit quiverful and go on a reality show. Not that he's any better, just less crazy and more practical. Just saying...

Anyway, here's a link about jobs in ND. Seems they are paying $15 per hour for fast food workers and $25 per hour for waiters. And the rising tide for those salaries is increasing salaries everywhere. God is calling them to move to ND-LOL. Maybe it will come to Mr. Shrader in a dream.

http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2011/10/wan ... check.html

I think he quit his job to go to Zambia. That's probably why the house is for sale, too. Either they're going to Zambia in 2 months and need to have the house sold for the $$$ to go, or they could be losing the house (because he quit his job...) and hoping for a short sale before the deadline in 2 months...? He only had that job for a year or 2, and I think they were pretty destitute even with the job. I think the trailer is in their own yard. Would they be taking the trailer to Zambia to be their housing in the bush??? Interesting. I watched the video, the oldest boy sounds well on his way to total indoctrination and Esther sounds like she's had a complete lobotomy/koolaid infusion.

His "church" he was pastoring was one of those storefront type churches with just a few families - not enough to support them which is why he started working at the car dealership. Sadly, his family will probably be better off living in the African bush & being supported by a missionary group than by him supporting them with a real job.

With Anna's sister living in Zambia bombing the natives with bibles, it sounds like a great time for Smugs & the Mrs. to take another trip! If there's another season, I think that would be kind of interesting. Not many fast food joints in Zambia for Joshie, though.

Had to laugh at this from someone upstream:

its not necessary for them to beat people with bibles.
this gave me a new mental picture of blanket training - fundies beating the babies with bibles. It's probably true, though.

Jobs in North Dakota pay very well right now. I've got a lot of family there, and am trying to figure out how to convince my husband that maybe we should look into moving there.

There are lots of jobs in ND but there's a severe housing shortage. Families are living in trailers, cars, pop up trailers.

http://www.governing.com/topics/energy- ... curse.html

Again, I say nothing is impossible if you really want it. They could always move to another state with better employment opportunities. They managed to get others to buy them a van and pay off their debt, certainly they could get someone to give them enough money to get back to Texas or over to North Dakota. I just read an article about a young woman who was abandoned by her family at 16 years old (came home from school one day and they were gone). She had to get a full time job as a janitor, but still managed to graduate from high school with a 4.0 GPA and get a scholarship to Harvard. If someone wants to accomplish something badly enough, they'll find a way to get it done. The fact that they are living in a tent on wheels in someone's yard just means they aren't trying hard enough.

Spoken like someone privileged. If the Shraders want to stay in Oregon, which it seems like they want, then the support for their is at the mercy of others. They can both actually WANT to work, and then try to get subsidized childcare (though applying requires already having a job, but let's say that it's easier than that and they can apply for it and get it now and not have to worry about their kids while applying for jobs). So now the kids are out of the way. They still have the big problem of neither having much in the way of an education, and only one has any job history. Even if both had strong histories, the MAJOR obstacle is that they are in a small town where those who are hiring WILL hire those who they personally know. Only if there are no long-time locals needing work will they, two completely unskilled people, stand any chance. So they'd need childcare for free right away since they have no money, and then no unemployed long-time locals, to stand a chance. Neither of those two things will happen.

If all they want is to support their kids, then they have options - IF they leave the state and go somewhere with a shortage of employees. Newbies to an economically depressed town don't have a chance. Newbies to a town with a shortage of employees would welcome them with open arms.

They need to straighten out their priorities and put support for their kids ahead of their desire to be in Oregon. What their priority is, staying in Oregon, does pretty much mean it's impossible for their kids to be properly cared for. If they put their kids first, then no, it would not be impossible. Hell, they could go live in the house they own in Texas!

I saw the news story about that girl. What happened wouldn't have if her school district had turned her over to child services, which they "should have" done. Instead the teachers put the needs of an extremely disadvantaged child ahead of following the law about reporting abandoned minors, and a teacher wrote a wonderful letter of recommendation. If the teachers hadn't decided to become her village and put her best interests ahead of all else, she easily could have become another child in the system sent to who knows where, disrupting her education and dumping her the day she turned 18. It was partly determination, but a large part being lucky to go to the school where she did. All the determination wouldn't have mattered if she had been sent to a different school because the foster family was far away from her current school and disrupted the course of her studies. The village that formed around her wouldn't have mattered so much if she wasn't as determined as she was, so that can't be discounted. But don't forget even she had a major stroke of luck.

https://apps.state.or.us/cf1/ERDC/index.cfm?fuseaction=calculator.display&dateRangeId=55

According to the state calculator their copay for 8 kids for childcare would be $25 based on an income of $1300 per month.

"Might pay" doesn't mean "will pay." I texted a friend of mine with five kids who makes minimum wage and asked her payment and how long it took to get, and she's paying $135 per month PER CHILD and that she applied in October last year. She's had to move back in with her mom (who adamantly refuses to provide child care despite not working), and she and her mom do NOT get along. When she first got the subsidy earlier this year she posted often about having trouble finding anywhere with openings. Let's presume Esther won the childcare subsidy lottery and only had to pay $25 total. It wouldn't do any good if she couldn't fine seven openings in an area without much childcare. The subsidies work for state-approved facilities, not random church members. Despite the high cost of childcare, most places still have waiting lists.

They need to leave Oregon. As Shewearsfunnyhat pointed out, the Shraders did no research at all before moving here, and most social services programs have waiting lists. Those kids shouldn't be expected to wait months. Even if a glitch happened and they got a payment of nothing, there would still be the application processing time and wait for funds to become available. For the Oregon Health Plan for kids, processing takes "up to 45 days" (I've yet to hear about anyone getting replies sooner than six weeks, and some have been told their applications were never received, and I'm dealing with that right now, "your application wasn't received," despite hand-delivering it). And then, if you're approved for a subsidized medical plan for your kids, it takes even longer to get set up and started. Medical care for children is a priority over all else, including childcare, in Oregon. And even that takes months.

And then there's the problem that you have to HAVE a job to apply. Good damned luck finding an employer willing to hire either of them at all, much less one willing to wait however months to be approved for a subsidy and then to find a childcare facility.

They really dug themselves into a hole, and shy of a bunch of people deciding to provide enough money for housing and food (since you know they won't apply for the $1000 a month of more they'd get for food stamps), they have to leave. It was supremely stupid moving here. We only moved back here because my husband got a job here when we were still out of state, and that took some pulling of strings by his old boss.

"Might pay" doesn't mean "will pay." I texted a friend of mine with five kids who makes minimum wage and asked her payment and how long it took to get, and she's paying $135 per month PER CHILD and that she applied in October last year. She's had to move back in with her mom (who adamantly refuses to provide child care despite not working), and she and her mom do NOT get along. When she first got the subsidy earlier this year she posted often about having trouble finding anywhere with openings. Let's presume Esther won the childcare subsidy lottery and only had to pay $25 total. It wouldn't do any good if she couldn't fine seven openings in an area without much childcare. The subsidies work for state-approved facilities, not random church members. Despite the high cost of childcare, most places still have waiting lists.

They need to leave Oregon. As Shewearsfunnyhat pointed out, the Shraders did no research at all before moving here, and most social services programs have waiting lists. Those kids shouldn't be expected to wait months. Even if a glitch happened and they got a payment of nothing, there would still be the application processing time and wait for funds to become available. For the Oregon Health Plan for kids, processing takes "up to 45 days" (I've yet to hear about anyone getting replies sooner than six weeks, and some have been told their applications were never received, and I'm dealing with that right now, "your application wasn't received," despite hand-delivering it). And then, if you're approved for a subsidized medical plan for your kids, it takes even longer to get set up and started. Medical care for children is a priority over all else, including childcare, in Oregon. And even that takes months.

And then there's the problem that you have to HAVE a job to apply. Good damned luck finding an employer willing to hire either of them at all, much less one willing to wait however months to be approved for a subsidy and then to find a childcare facility.

They really dug themselves into a hole, and shy of a bunch of people deciding to provide enough money for housing and food (since you know they won't apply for the $1000 a month of more they'd get for food stamps), they have to leave. It was supremely stupid moving here. We only moved back here because my husband got a job here when we were still out of state, and that took some pulling of strings by his old boss.

I wonder if this was the only "job' he would take after being a failed missionary.

They did no research when moving. Just like most of the hipsters that moved to portland. They have no job skills and still expect to make it. I am happy I live in Salem. We try to keep it lame here so the hipsters stay away.

There are waiting lists for most government programs out here. I was lucky to get into vocational rehab with only a 2 month waiting period. Now I am fighting to OHP, they keep insisting that I have a disability even though I have latter of job reediness from vocational rehab. I dont want to be on disability, but my unemployment check cant pay for my prescriptions (asthma and anxiety) and other bills.

I am dyslexic so vocational rehab helped me develop cooping skills on the job and got me some technology to help while in the lab.

I'm somewhat amused by the comments of non-Oregonians who think there are enough jobs here that it just takes a few applications, and that social services has enough money that anything happens fast. Gwetting into vocational rehab in only two months is VERY fast. I've been trying to get OHP for my daughter for months now, and that's supposed to be the fastest program considering all kids qualify (though not everyone will get the subsidized rate).

Sounds like OHP is trying to get you to apply for Medicare instead. If you're abled enough to get a job, yeah, no chance you'll get Medicare. OHP is on a lottery to get an application for adults, so anyone they can shunt off to a federal program, they will.

I'm in PDX, and every day I see homeless hipsters with signs looking for work or for rides up to Washington. A few times I've chatted with then while at stops, and all the ones I've spoken with came here from other states thinking it would be easy to find work and that the famed hippie-culture would make living here with very little a very easy thing to do. HA! How foolish. While it's not the most expensive area, it's not cheap either, and there is no abundance of jobs and far too many people trekking here thinking it's going to be a Portlandia haven. We moved back because my husband had a job lined up and we had nowhere to live where we were, and even with a decent (for the area) paying job, we're still in an RV, and have become the envy of some of our friends as we aren't having to live with Craigslist-found roommates.

It's a complete myth that it's easy to get by. Oregon's become very popular once again, there aren't enough jobs for everyone needing them, housing is getting expensive, gas is crazy ($4.69 a couple days ago), and in small towns it's worse. When there are jobs, you've got to have the right connections.

I wonder why so many ATI folk are against manual labor. I've been watching ex-Amish and they have a great work ethic and are willing to travel to where the hard labor jobs are (on pipelines, etc) so they can save up their money. For some reason fundies don't seem to have this same ethic. Is it because they all need to be self-employed that they feel that they can just preach and inseminate their wives? When they do work, car sales is about their speed. Do they think they are too good or just that God will provide for them? Am I generalizing too much? Mr. Keller's picker is off when it comes to accepting suitors for his daughters. They would have been better off single. No wonder Suze got out!

The section 8 waiting list is closed. It's not like you walk in, apply, get approved within 45 days, and go find a house. The wait list is years long when you can get on it, and getting on it can take years.

I do realize it can take years to get a section 8 voucher. However, most cities have some sort of subsidized housing that doesn't take years to get into. I worked my way out of those apartments...but if I needed to take care of my kids, I'd go back in heartbeat. What this guy has done to his family is inexcusable.

With the housing shortage in ND i doubt theyd get in an extended stay because those places arent built yet. They would still be in the tent trailor. Best case scenario would be that he wld go to ND and she would go to TX. But then she'd be without her headship... (and btw, secretarys are skilled and most, if not all, require computer skills along with grammar etc. Her schooling probably isn't up for her to be able to do that even assuming she had the wardrobe to interview in.)

With what jobs are paying, they could stay in an extended-stay motel and be better off than they are right now. Only one of them would need to work.

Every time I turn around I hear about another neighbor or family member working in ND. I have to say I admire my Mormon neighbors with large families that have the husband go to ND for work leaving the wife and kids behind. Some have gotten lucky with 2 weeks on/off (but even then flights are scarce and expensive). Most go for 2-3 months between visits. DD's teacher didn't see her husband for 6 months(. There are jobs for sure. I love reading stories of people who go to ND from bad economy states (great stories on the city data ND board). Housing is BAD. There are no hotels or extended stay, even RV spots are very hard to find. Large companies pay top dollar for any hotel spots or apartments. Seniors and life long residents get tossed out of their apartments because large companies are willing to pay 4-5 times the rent.

Ester's husband could find work but it would have to be alone. He could live in a man camp or share a room with a few workers. He could send the money he makes home. Even after 6 months of hard work they would be able to make a fresh start.

I hope the Duggars step in and help in some way that give the kids some long term stability not just a one time handout.

I still can't get over how they spend all day in and around that tent van. THey say that they homeschool but I have almost no doubt that the kids are getting zero education because its so unfeasible. I bet that there is no money or room for flash cards or text books. I bet that the only computer access they have is at the mercy of others lending it to them. And even if they went to the library where would they keep the books they borrowed? I hope there's at least a library or other space where the kids can go during the day and not be confined in the tent van.

They will end up even more ignorant and uneducated than the average fundy as they won't even get SOTDRT. Imagine what a drain on society they'll all be in 20 years.

It's not built yet, they don't have one, they live in bumfuck.

And I've applied., have over a decade in retail/customer service, am sober with no felonies [or misdemeanors]. The didn't hire me. /end hijck

Not according to the local friends of mine - in Oregon - who get subsidies. Read the university link I posted. In some cases, the "co-pays" are more than just paying out of pocket. Another friend of mine applied, but the amount she would have had to pay per child was more than her earning potential, and so she's an at-home mom while her husband works. She was laid off when she was pregnant with her last child from a job she'd had for years. Unless it's changed in the last couple months, then Oregon doesn't tell you to pay X% of your income and they'll pay off the rest. That would open the door for someone to pay a few hundred per month and then pick the most expensive daycare they can find. When the family will have to pay more if they pick a more expensive place, then the family is less likely to look for the Cadillac of daycares.

Different counties might have different agreements though. I've got friends getting subsidies in Multnomah, Clackamas, and Marion, counties.

Not all daycares take the government subsidies, though. The posh, $515/week private daycare doesn't take government subsidies. But the $225/wk Kindercare up the road probably does.

And I've applied., have over a decade in retail/customer service, am sober with no felonies [or misdemeanors]. The didn't hire me. /end hijck

I applied with absolutely no retail experience of any kind (actually it was my first job ever), had no references, no felonies , no drugs, and I got a job. One of the people I worked with was a former SAHM who had never had a job before, and she got a job. I think it depends on the area and probably even the specific Walmart. So it’s definitely an option in many areas for people with no skills or experience, but definitely not everywhere.

I read that article as well. Yes, she is quite an inspirational and strong young woman. But she did not do it alone. Your post makes it sound like she succeeded in a vacuum when she did not. She had plenty of support and much needed assistance. She did not approach her guidance counselor and ask for help. Her guidance counselor approached her and pulled the story out of her [according to the CNN article I read, at least]. Then, her teachers and guidance counselor fought to keep her out of the system. They found her a job. They gave her clothes, school supplies, a place to live, emotional support... Yes, she worked her ass off but she couldn't do it without the support and opportunities provided by her teachers, school and community.

Esther and John would never even think to do half of what this young woman would does. They would never think to work their fingers to the bone, or get a real education, or accept government assistance. But even if Esther and John were willing to do all of the above, if they were willing to swallow their pride, admit they are wrong and work their asses off for a better life, they would still have to move somewhere there are jobs, vocational training and affordable childcare resources. The Dalles ain't it. There are no jobs there. There aren't enough jobs there for the people that live there, have experience and education/training to perform what jobs the local economy supports. It's very easy to say, "Oh, they can find work if they really want to." That is not the case in many places right now. It is especially true in The Dalles, OR.

I applied with absolutely no retail experience of any kind (actually it was my first job ever), had no references, no felonies , no drugs, and I got a job. One of the people I worked with was a former SAHM who had never had a job before, and she got a job. I think it depends on the area and probably even the specific Walmart. So it’s definitely an option in many areas for people with no skills or experience, but definitely not everywhere.

No idea why they didn't hire me. I wouldn't mind working there for a few years- I'm looking for something part time, nights and weekends so I don't have to pay childcare. I agree that Walmart is an option that provides a regular paycheck for people without a lot of skills or experience.

I agree, it depends on the area and the specific stores. The Wal-Mart in the town I grew up, hired anyone who didn't have misdemeanors or felonies and passed a drug test.

Archived