IGNORED

Esther Shrader (Anna Duggar's sister) living in a pop up

xReems

I wonder if they beleive that growing up in oppressive poverty will build their children's character?

I think they do believe that. I have seen that belief system with fundies and some non-fundies several times before and it doesn't always work the way they hope it should work. I know people who still resent having to grow up in very oppressive poverty.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And they look down on me because I have only one child, a college education, and am gainfully employed? *snort* At least my kid has a bed to sleep in and isn't living in a damn tent.

Seriously, if he's having trouble finding a job, then it's time for her to go look for one. Certainly, she can work in a day care or something. Hell, if she worked at a day care, they may let her bring her kids with her. I don't care how much you believe a woman's place is in the home. When things get this bad, it's time to make some sacrifices.

I agree with this. I'm not against SAHMs in general, but there are times they need to at least have part time job to help the family survive if the father is out of work. ETA: i can understand a situation in which SAHM remains at home, if she and her husband have savings or other resources to help get by during the job loss.

So where did it say he lost his job? I only saw that they are living in this camper and trying to sell their house as they are going to Zambia to be missionaries there. Living in a camper now will actually probably help them to transition to Zambia as I am sure their housing in Zambia will probably be small and not terribly convenient.

Oh no! Those poor kids. And by the way Esther pops out new blessings, it won't be long til the next one. Or she is probably already pregnant. I wonder if their families can support them financially.

what are the kids' names?

The sons-Enoch, Timothy, Nehemiah, and Elijah

The daughters-Alatheia, Agape, and Charis

As for Esther, I highly doubt a baby bump is going to occur while they're living in that tent on wheels. I don't think they'd want their children to see mommy and daddy in the process of receiving a gift from God. ew.

Perhaps Smugs and Smuggina should take heed in what happens when people are uneducated and popping out babies. This could easily be their future without Pa Duggar's (and TLC's) money.

When you go to Zambia to convert heathens to Xianity and G-d takes away your job and your house perhaps you should listen to G-d and stop doing missionary work. If they believe G-d giveth then wouldn't they believe that G-d taketh away and see the message that G-d is sending them?!

When you go to Zambia to convert heathens to Xianity and G-d takes away your job and your house perhaps you should listen to G-d and stop doing missionary work. If they believe G-d giveth then wouldn't they believe that G-d taketh away and see the message that G-d is sending them?!

but this is all the fault of satan and all those bad people that use bc and send their kids to college, don't cha know?!?! :lol: :lol:

As for Esther, I highly doubt a baby bump is going to occur while they're living in that tent on wheels. I don't think they'd want their children to see mommy and daddy in the process of receiving a gift from God. ew.

you are probably right. But they went to Zambia all alone.. so maybe...

"I finished up my master's degree, worked for a few years, set aside money and then decided to move to another country to be a missionary" -said no one ever.

It seems that men with no education or job skills are "called" to be missionaries and then expect everyone else to finance it. I have one old friend from high school who is now a missionary with her husband in Africa. And she is so smug (on Facebook, not really in contact anymore) about how much better they are because they have travelled/lived in Africa and everyone else is living a materialistic American life. And she just can't imagine how anyone can stand a mundane desk job. When all those materialistic Americans are working those mundane desk jobs to put food on the table and finance her prancing around the world handing out bibles. /end rant

Anyway, I hope someone gets a job so those poor kids have a roof over their heads.

Perhaps Smugs and Smuggina should take heed in what happens when people are uneducated and popping out babies. This could easily be their future without Pa Duggar's (and TLC's) money.

I agree should take heed, but they probably won't. Smug and Smuganna are still in lala land at this point, and they should be lucky that Mary set them up in a spare rental house. Josh and Anna will start to grow up when TLC is out of the picture.

25k67fb.jpg

2ufdoap.jpg

I hope Emily won't see this - she might get some ideas...

How do they even fit nine kids in there? Can you imagine what it must look like when eleven people get out of bed (or however they sleep...) and get dressed at the same time? How do they change diapers and take care of the hygiene in there? Do they have a camping table outside where the meals are served or a bench where they do the dishes?

We used to go to a tiny tiny cabin (but probably bigger that this pop-up) when I was a child.

The most practical thing was to try to do as much outside as possible: take cold sponge baths from a bucket, cook barbeque, eat on the table outside, wash the dishes on the wooden bench outside... and we were just three in my family.

"I finished up my master's degree, worked for a few years, set aside money and then decided to move to another country to be a missionary" -said no one ever.

Believe it or not, these folks do exist. I have a fundie lite coworker who is planning to work for another several years while his wife finishes her master's and then they want to move to Africa and be missionaries. The kicker is that he's an engineer and makes $70K+ per year and they own two rental properties that they can use for an income stream so he has a legitimate expectation that this plan can actually happen.

In mainline Christian denominations there are missionaries and they tend to be pretty well-educated. Our congregation helps to support a missionary family in China and he's a pastor, she's a teacher, and they only have two kids (both of whom are in the US for high school and college).

I agree that in fundie circles there's a lot of "calling" men with no higher education or real job skills to be pastors or missionaries - and then they expect other Christians to support their families in this endeavor. :roll:

I hope Emily won't see this - she might get some ideas...

How do they even fit nine kids in there? Can you imagine what it must look like when eleven people get out of bed (or however they sleep...) and get dressed at the same time? How do they change diapers and take care of the hygiene in there? Do they have a camping table outside where the meals are served or a bench where they do the dishes?

We used to go to a tiny tiny cabin (but probably bigger that this pop-up) when I was a child.

The most practical thing was to try to do as much outside as possible: take cold sponge baths from a bucket, cook barbeque, eat on the table outside, wash the dishes on the wooden bench outside... and we were just three in my family.

There are seven kids, then John and Esther.

I don't know how Anna can sit back and take the money from TLC knowing her sister and neices and nephews are living like this.

I don't know how Anna can sit back and take the money from TLC knowing her sister and neices and nephews are living like this.

Good point. Obviously she and Josh have the means to help them in some capacity. Given that their movement claims to be so 'family-oriented,' you'd think it would be a priority for them.

Wow, this has to be one of the most oblivious Facebook posters ever. Taken from beneath the picture of their tiny pop up:

XXXX said:

I'm actually envious. But, I just have this thing for fitting as much stuff and as many people into as tiny of a space as I can. Being vagabonds after the fire.....only enhanced this portion of myself, that everyone else wishes I did not have! I was just speaking the other day to how God knows what he is doing......He sure did when He gave you Esther (o;

------

*face palm*

There's so much fail up in there I don't even know where to begin.

(Edit: Ok, I had to know who could be this incognizant and looked at the lady in question's Facebook. Maybe it's just me, but her 'About Me' section had me giggling for about five minutes and I had to share: "I am faith-filled and fear-free because... I am on a search-and-recovery mission, led by a divine rescue squad."

I don't know what that's so funny to me, it just is! Probably the mental image of an angelic rescue squad!)

They should take this as a sign from God that their choices don't please him. Get a job and stop having kids you can't afford.

They should take this as a sign from God that their choices don't please him. Get a job and stop having kids you can't afford.

the only signs that can be accepted are the ones they want to be accepted.

Quietly.

well unless you have a blessing or two right beside since there is no extra room. Here boys can't even see girls in nightgowns but mommy and daddy are trying to make blessings less then a foot apart. this will corrupt the blessings for sure. Of course they can't take welfare (well unless forcing others to provide for you is an ok thing)

well unless you have a blessing or two right beside since there is no extra room. Here boys can't even see girls in nightgowns but mommy and daddy are trying to make blessings less then a foot apart. this will corrupt the blessings for sure. Of course they can't take welfare (well unless forcing others to provide for you is an ok thing)

That tent camper has a double on each side in the popout. Below the double is a pullout, narrow bunk that is also used as a a bench, when you mount the table. Heck the kids can all fit on one side and the floor.

Archived