IGNORED

Out of the orthobox

Beeks

I generally find this blog interesting but she regularly annoys me as well. Like this? "3. Phrases like "I need some me-time"; "It's the principle of the matter"; and "I just need to vent/rant" are usually rationalizations for selfish behavior camouflaged as mental health directives." really, having any time to yourself is selfish? I am an introvert and I am raising two toddlers and yes, I NEED regular me-time. I don't think that's selfish but I guess that's why I'll never be orthodox.

I know it's minor. Just rubbed me wrong.

Outoftheorthobox.blogspot.com

I am more bothered by her opinions that women can't study Talmud, the Earth is only 6000 years old, etc.

Also kind of annoyed by the idea of playing in a band that only performs for women so men won't hear her "immodestly" play a musical instrument. Also her assertion that the only valid ideas are ones found in the bible--no mention of human rights in the bible, so human rights are a false concept! :roll: (Her example, not mine.)

I'm happy that many Orthodox Jews are *not* this fundie.

What a funny title for a blog that is very much in line with "in-the-box" Orthodox apologetics! It's rife with goalpost-moving, question-begging, and outright lying.

I didn't mind that particular post. It's clearly a light-hearted list, and it doesn't have anything to do with being Orthodox. I do tend to cringe when I hear "it's the principle of the matter", because in my line of work, that's code for "I won't accept a perfectly reasonable settlement but will litigate to the death (or until bankruptcy) because I have a pathological need to fight with my ex".

I'm wondering if her daughter's age is right, because I wouldn't think that she was 9 mos preg when she graduated high school. I assume that it's a typo.

Now, the Hebrew language thread is another story. I agree about the importance of referring back to the original language and not just relying on translations, but the rest of it.....I can't say with a straight face that Hebrew is unlike the other semitic languages of the region.

Archived