IGNORED

I Was a Good Mormon Wife Until My Husband Stopped.......

dawn9476

Maybe it's because I'm a non-Utah Mormon, but I'm confused about home teaching = morality police as well. My home teachers just teach their assigned lesson and ask if I need anything (prayers, help finding employment, etc.) and we meet at the church building instead of my home. In more heavily Mormon areas there could certainly be an element of policing going on in regards to home teaching, but I've never encountered it personally or had my friends encounter this situation with our home teachers.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe it's because I'm a non-Utah Mormon, but I'm confused about home teaching = morality police as well. My home teachers just teach their assigned lesson and ask if I need anything (prayers, help finding employment, etc.) and we meet at the church building instead of my home. In more heavily Mormon areas there could certainly be an element of policing going on in regards to home teaching, but I've never encountered it personally or had my friends encounter this situation with our home teachers.

Well I come from rural Michigan and it was very much a morality policing for me. And all my ex-mo friends have had the same experiences They come from areas in the Bible Belt and East Coast as well as Utah. So maybe you're just lucky...

I have never lived in Utah, but every LDS person I know had to both be a home teacher and have the home teachers come to their house. How do they call it home teaching where you are if not in the home?

I asked my employer about it once and we had a long discussion. I am sure it was intended to make it seem less creepy, but it made it seem more creepy.

Well I come from rural Michigan and it was very much a morality policing for me. And all my ex-mo friends have had the same experiences They come from areas in the Bible Belt and East Coast as well as Utah. So maybe you're just lucky...

I also live in rural Michigan, so yeah, I'm probably just lucky

What I have got from this discussion is that what makes the difference is the temperature of the caffeine, which makes absolutely no sense. If you want to drink coffee, drink coffee. It's certainly better for you than drinking non-stop cans of Diet Coke. I don't think the Words sound that Wise.

Someone once claimed that it's thanks to Joseph Smith that we know about sun protection....yeah, because no one ever came up with the idea of covering up in the sun before.

As for Home Teachers - I don't know any Mormons but it does sound to me like they'd pay you a 'friendly visit' if you missed a few church sessions, or didn't want to do a calling. I read a Mormon blog sometimes and the amount of people who flipped their shit when someone admitted they couldn't face the hassle of running a Nursery class was insane, because apparently that person was 'turning down God'.

Also, whilst you might disagree with some of the practices of the church, ie baptising Holocaust victims and Prop 8, you do realise that your tithing probably goes towards funding exactly that.

Why do I get the feeling that ol' handcuff was using his wife's FJ account? Or at least standing over her shoulder, telling her what to say. All the posts have the whiff of toast to them.

Jello casserole and Jello salad are both pretty gross IMHO, caffeine IS allowed and every Mormon my age (including myself) drinks caffeinated Diet Coke like water. Baptizing Holocaust Jews is crappy and should NEVER, ever, ever happen. Ever.

Um, baptizing anyone by proxy is crappy and shouldn't be allowed.

Kathryn, would you mind explaining something to me about the Word of Wisdom? From what I have gathered, you aren't supposed to drink 'hot drinks' which translates to tea and coffee, yet hot chocolate is okay because people have argued it's the caffeine element. If that's so, why is okay to drink caffeinated soft drinks? Just curious!

Well even if it is the caffeine element they still have issues, because ahem chocolate has caffeine in it.

Why do I get the feeling that ol' handcuff was using his wife's FJ account? Or at least standing over her shoulder, telling her what to say. All the posts have the whiff of toast to them.

Apparently you speak of him and he shows up! Handcuff was down there at the list of members online a few seconds ago.

~Waves to handcuff~ I sure hope you don't use the words "awful" "artificial" "text" or "tell" because those are all words whose definitions changed over time and we all know how much you are against that. That was one of the lame arguments you used against gay marriage.

Is Handcuff the one who compared gay marriage to marrying a toaster? You're a bonafide moron.

Mormonism seems pretty cultish to me. One moment you can have your shoulders bare, the next you can't because the prophet's changed his mind, and then you can again...

This hymn is pretty freaky, IMO.

*shiver*

Is Handcuff the one who compared gay marriage to marrying a toaster? You're a bonafide moron.

Mormonism seems pretty cultish to me. One moment you can have your shoulders bare, the next you can't because the prophet's changed his mind, and then you can again...

This hymn is pretty freaky, IMO.

*shiver*

Handcuff said that if we let people marry for love, then what is stopping people from marrying their toaster or some stupid shit like that. He also said that if we let gay people marry it would change the definition of marriage and definitions can't change or the world would fall apart. :roll: Kathryn is is wife and I am pretty sure she has flounced before after telling us how wonderful he was.

Kathryn,

Not everyone on this board has the same definition of fundamentalism. I believe Mormons are fundamentalists. I like them a bit more, because they are nice to me, but they still believe in a dangerous, msygonistic religions that I think is unhealthy.

Just like any other fundie, don't come here tell us all about your super speshul magic religion and not expect some push back

I openly drink both Diet Coke and Herbal tea. I acknowledge the weird dichotomy, and really don't have an explanation for it.

I've had the interrogation home teachers, and the nice ones that shovel your snow and teach a lesson. The interrogation ones were asked to leave and not come back, and I feed the nice ones cookies.

I personally like going visiting teaching, because I teach a short lesson, we chat, and I see if I could help them. One visiting teaching lesson occurred while we were cleaning her kitchen because she had been sick and I wanted to help. The vising teachers coming to my house ensure that my living rooms gets a really good cleaning monthly. I DO NOT like people that just drop by, and if you do, we are visiting on my porch.

If you acknowledge that it's a strange dichtomy and you can drink Diet Coke, why not just drink coffee too? It seems clear to me that the 'dark drinks' rule was developed from a theory at the time about hot drinks being bad for you which has now been debunked. Obviously it's bad to put away coffee and tea nonstop but a couple of cups a day is better for you than two cans of soda, diet or not.

If you acknowledge that it's a strange dichtomy and you can drink Diet Coke, why not just drink coffee too? It seems clear to me that the 'dark drinks' rule was developed from a theory at the time about hot drinks being bad for you which has now been debunked. Obviously it's bad to put away coffee and tea nonstop but a couple of cups a day is better for you than two cans of soda, diet or not.

Because the prophets have ruled that coffee and tea are against the word of wisdom. And to not follow the WoW means that you can't get a temple recommend. Therefore if you were to die, you couldn't get into the celestial kingdom.

So why have prophets changed their minds about the toughness of these rules if they're getting the direct line from God?

Because the prophets have ruled that coffee and tea are against the word of wisdom. And to not follow the WoW means that you can't get a temple recommend. Therefore if you were to die, you couldn't get into the celestial kingdom.

And that is why they are fundamentalists.

So why have prophets changed their minds about the toughness of these rules if they're getting the direct line from God?

Because it's a bunch of bullshit. And anyone who says otherwise hasn't dug deep enough into *anti-mormon* literature or are kidding themselves.

Or as mormon apologists usually claim "The word of God never changes, it is just updated to make sure it's relevant to the time."

And that is why they are fundamentalists.

Exactly.

That's hilarious - 'updated to make sure it's relevant to the time'. I thought God existed outside time? Mormons just need to admit they have outdated texts.

But freejoytoo, that'd be too easy and it'd make the prophets, especially JS, look like fools. And God does exsist out of time, it's just human thoughts and practices vary within time. :? You know like slavery, once that was frowned upon, mormons couldn't have their slaves sealed to them any longer... :roll:

On a serious note, it's really, really fucked up how the Mormon church whitewashes its history and actively discourages its members from reading any kind of criticism. I'm not saying that they're the only church who does it, I think it just annoys me because this face they put on of 'look at how FRIENDLY we are! Look at how much we're devoted to the family!'

Archived