IGNORED

I Was a Good Mormon Wife Until My Husband Stopped.......

dawn9476

Fair enough, I see your point. Mormonism is much rarer here and is generally seen as a crazy American religion (though I did know two people at school who were, both left the church).

Also, jello casserole? What the fuck is that and do I want to know? Sounds horrific!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some Mormons that would be more pleasant to be around than people like the Duggars. Some Mormons are less conservative and can be ok with certain things. One of the non-mommy Mormon bloggers seems to be a very friendly person for the most part. I could see her being ok to be around compared to people like Jill Duggar, Erin Bates, or Sarah Maxwell. But sometimes, this particular Mormon comes off as a sanctimonious asshole. She has the attitude that the movie industry should cater to her but not having cuss words in PG-13 movies. Some of the movies she complains about only have 2-5 cuss words in them and the cuss words fit into the dialogue and plot of the movies. She did a review of the Footloose remake and she had very sanctimonious attitude towards it. She made the comment that she didn't like the sexual innuendos, some of the dancing, language, or smoking that happened in the movie. She said she wouldn't allow teens to watch it and she made the following comment, "Teens are so impressionable, and I know they will find out about the ways of the world soon enough, but that doesn't mean I have to be the one to expose them to it." I hated that comment, yes some teens are impressionable, but not all are. That blogger was basically dumbing down teenagers in general. I also laughed when she claimed Footloose had excessive swearing. If it had excessive swearing, it would have been rated R.

Fair enough, I see your point. Mormonism is much rarer here and is generally seen as a crazy American religion (though I did know two people at school who were, both left the church).

Ha, I do think it's pretty crazy, but that's my opinion of all the other Christian groups, too. Particularly the evangelicals and fundies we snark on. ;)

I live just outside San Francisco. We've got about 13,000 Mormons in my county, so it's actually a bigger group than all of the Protestant denominations. It's not uncommon to meet Mormons here. I know several, and one of my best friends growing up had a half-Mormon family. They weren't very good Mormons, though, and all of the kids ended up leaving as adults. I even went to an LDS summer camp (with them) when I was 14. Alas, I don't have any crazy stories. It was my first exposure to organized religion, but otherwise the camp seemed pretty tame as far as those things go.

Jello casserole and Jello salad are both pretty gross IMHO, caffeine IS allowed and every Mormon my age (including myself) drinks caffeinated Diet Coke like water. Baptizing Holocaust Jews is crappy and should NEVER, ever, ever happen. Ever.

Kathryn, would you mind explaining something to me about the Word of Wisdom? From what I have gathered, you aren't supposed to drink 'hot drinks' which translates to tea and coffee, yet hot chocolate is okay because people have argued it's the caffeine element. If that's so, why is okay to drink caffeinated soft drinks? Just curious!

Kathryn, would you mind explaining something to me about the Word of Wisdom? From what I have gathered, you aren't supposed to drink 'hot drinks' which translates to tea and coffee, yet hot chocolate is okay because people have argued it's the caffeine element. If that's so, why is okay to drink caffeinated soft drinks? Just curious!

When I was a member the way it played out was there were two groups. Group one abstained from all beverages containing caffeine because it was against the Word of Wisdom. Group two agrued that the prophets have never said one couldn't partake of caffeine therefore it is not off limits in drinks other than black or green tea (some mormons allow herbal teas) or coffee. So basically group one used it as a way of one-upping the other members, or at least that's how it was done to me. I'd hear things like "Oh Sam, I can't believe you'd drink Dr. Pepper with caffeine in it!" :roll:

And to this day, even though I grew up in mormonism, I'm still not sure what the WoW meant by hot drinks because I heard so many different ideas.

The idea that hot drinks were bad for you was popular at the time that JS wrote it. It was generally considered good advice. Of course science eventually debunked this belief, and then the LDS church decided he was really talking about hot drinks with caffeine.

It has never been said (by the church) that caffeine is off limits...pretty sure I wouldn't make it without Diet Coke. Coffee and tea are off limits but there is no real explanation as to why. Personally I love, love, love coffee and wish that part would be dropped from WoW. Most people I know drink herbal tea as well but I have never really liked tea at all.

Some people will only drink Sprite, 7Up, etc but that is their choice. If I have to go to a church function I will bring my own 20oz of Diet Coke because I don't like lemon lime and not out to impress someone with my beverage.

Same as many religions where some people show a public persona that is a tad different than the one they have behind closed doors. Mine is pretty much the same on both sides.

It has never been said (by the church) that caffeine is off limits...pretty sure I wouldn't make it without Diet Coke. Coffee and tea are off limits but there is no real explanation as to why. Personally I love, love, love coffee and wish that part would be dropped from WoW. Most people I know drink herbal tea as well but I have never really liked tea at all.

Some people will only drink Sprite, 7Up, etc but that is their choice. If I have to go to a church function I will bring my own 20oz of Diet Coke because I don't like lemon lime and not out to impress someone with my beverage.

Same as many religions where some people show a public persona that is a tad different than the one they have behind closed doors. Mine is pretty much the same on both sides.

Oh Kathryn, how we've missed your Mormon rah-rah's. You really put the "saint" in Latter Day Saints. :roll: :lol:

Oh Kathryn, how we've missed your Mormon rah-rah's. You really put the "saint" in Latter Day Saints. :roll: :lol:

Since I was answering a question I guess I don't really follow your implication? I suppose there is a thinly veiled insult there that I am supposed to rise to and be equally as stupid but it seems to come more naturally to you.

Right, like I said, just hot caffeinated drinks. Because temperature makes so much difference! But not if you are talking hot cocoa, then all bets are off! I know many Mormons who won't even have herbal tea. And yes, it is taught by the church. http://mormon.org/faq/law-of-health/

Emmiedahl,

Mormons don't drink decaf coffee so that is not accurate. If it were I would absolutely drink decaf. Many Mormons won't have herbal tea but many will. Just as kashrut laws are taught in Ortho society and are followed the WoW is taught by the LDS church and followed as well. I answered a question as well as I am able.

Emmiedahl,

Mormons don't drink decaf coffee so that is not accurate. If it were I would absolutely drink decaf. Many Mormons won't have herbal tea but many will. Just as kashrut laws are taught in Ortho society and are followed the WoW is taught by the LDS church and followed as well. I answered a question as well as I am able.

I find it interesting that JS said "hot drinks" and yet some hot drinks are okay while others will get the home visitors all over your ass. They drink choffee, which has not only caffeine but an even more dangerous stimulant.

Orthodox Jews are defined by following all of the mitzvot, to more extremes than even the Bible set forth. So your comparison is invalid.

IT ISN'T ABOUT THE CAFFEINE. You can continue to argue that but it is also invalid. What is a "home visitor" and why would they be "all over your ass" about anything? There isn't a Mormon police?

BTW your cited source http://mormon.org/faq/law-of-health/ says not a word about caffeine so why are you so stuck on it?

It said COFFEE and TEA, the only two hot caffeinated drinks commonly drank in the US.

And those monthly home visits? "Home Teaching"? Most of us know about those, please don't make me go digging through the 500 billion pages Google has on the subject. I worked as domestic help part time in an LDS household.

I helped dozens of Orthodox families move in to apartments that were already to kosher standards in Wash DC but I am not claiming to be an expert as you seem to put forth for yourself. The other difference is I have many Orthodox friends because I respect their beliefs and would never trample on someone's faith. They are happy where they are and I celebrate their happiness with them as they do with me. They have never once told me I am misguided and I would not dream of trying to convert them or even speaking to them about my beliefs unless asked. It is a non-issue with them. Same applies to my best friend who is Catholic and the legal guardian of my children if I die. Mutual respect goes a very long way.

I have no problem with people being Mormon, but let's keep it real. The rules are illogical and contradictory to the actual writings and lifestyle of your founder. And the LDS church will send people to your home on a monthly basis (at least!) to ensure you are obeying them. That is creepy as hell.

I have no problem with people being Mormon, but let's keep it real. The rules are illogical and contradictory to the actual writings and lifestyle of your founder. And the LDS church will send people to your home on a monthly basis (at least!) to ensure you are obeying them. That is creepy as hell.

Wait..what? They send people on (at least) a monthly basis? You are right..that WOULD be creepy as hell if it happened. Home teachers come to see if you need anything just like ours did when we were not able to attend due to our youngest son who has severe developmental delays. Because of that visit he now has supports so we are all able to attend.

Correlation does not equal causation. Just as I would not infer that you are of the same ilk of the Rabbi who killed a child by putting his mouth on a circumcision wound. Unlike you I am able to differentiate between different groups within the same religion. I also respect your right to believe and worship how you believe is correct. You brow beating me and continuing to wail on the dead horse is confusing. Exactly what do you expect me to say? Seriously are you wanting me to run straight to Starbucks and and get a venti latte? I am not clear on your intent here.

Wait..what? They send people on (at least) a monthly basis? You are right..that WOULD be creepy as hell if it happened. Home teachers come to see if you need anything just like ours did when we were not able to attend due to our youngest son who has severe developmental delays. Because of that visit he now has supports so we are all able to attend.

Correlation does not equal causation. Just as I would not infer that you are of the same ilk of the Rabbi who killed a child by putting his mouth on a circumcision wound. Unlike you I am able to differentiate between different groups within the same religion. I also respect your right to believe and worship how you believe is correct. You brow beating me and continuing to wail on the dead horse is confusing. Exactly what do you expect me to say? Seriously are you wanting me to run straight to Starbucks and and get a venti latte? I am not clear on your intent here.

Wait, are you saying the home teachers DON'T happen or that they do happen but they have good intentions? You kind of contradicted yourself. And I completely disagree with much of Orthodox Judaism. Unlike Judaism, there is no "Mormon Lite".

Damn you're lucky! Ours came at least once a month, sometimes twice a month. He'd yell at me for not attending seminary, as if that's any of his buisness. And he'd ask if I was keeping up with my personal prayers and scripture study. And then my mom's visiting teacher partner would always hound my mom to contact the inactives to find out why they weren't coming to church. And drag me along to go to her assignment's houses once a month. Oh and she'd get on me about seminary too and she'd make sure I wasn't dating since I wasn't 16 yet.

I really don't miss those days.

The people I worked for were perfect Mormons and had a home teaching visit once a month. They had to perform them for other Mormons, also. I have Mormon relatives and, ditto.

As a maid, I was present while these home visits/interrogations went on.

Just posting it again because you haven't said anything new and again you are equating a few people to equal an entire group. Your "interrogation" argument is just silly.

Just posting it again because you haven't said anything new and again you are equating a few people to equal an entire group. Your "interrogation" argument is just silly.

Um yeah, sorry but they are supposed to come once a month. Straight from the horses mouth:

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?l ... 82620aRCRD

Home teaching is the responsibility of all Melchizedek Priesthood holders and of those who are teachers and priests in the Aaronic Priesthood. As part of their responsibility to watch over the members of the Church, home teachers visit their assigned families at least once each month to teach and strengthen them. Home teachers establish a relationship of trust with these families so that the families can call upon them in times of need.

Archived