IGNORED

I Was a Good Mormon Wife Until My Husband Stopped.......

dawn9476

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
believing in God.

Good article about how a husband told his wife one night that he didn't believe in God anymore and how at first the she struggled with it but eventually came to join him in his atheism.

http://www.alternet.org/belief/155719/i ... od/?page=1

Thanks for posting this. Good article. Would have liked to have read more about the author's own transformation.

As summer shifted to fall, I often found him hunched over his iPad reading everything he could find on Mormon origins. I started to join him in his nightly bath, and the information would seep out. He’d pause from our usual safe topics and bite his lip. “I’m sorry, but I just have to tell you. Did you know that …†and then he’d tell me what he’d been reading. About how Joseph Smith mistranslated some Egyptian hieroglyphics that are part of our canonized scripture. About how he translated the Book of Mormon while looking at a stone inside of a hat.

Do most Mormons really not know about Joseph Smith and his peep stones? I thought that was a well-known part of their origin story (for lack of a better term).

Do most Mormons really not know about Joseph Smith and his peep stones? I thought that was a well-known part of their origin story (for lack of a better term).

Hell, I know it and i'm NOT mormon. (Thank you South Park!)

I knew. We got comparative religion in sunday school growing up. We learned all types of factoids about all the "cults" that weren't as awesome as Reformed, evangelical Protestantism.

Good story. And very romantic. She didn't say much about her own change, did she? She said why she didn't believe in the Mormon church any more, but not how she went from that to not thinking there was any god at all. I suppose in her mind they were tied together so non-believing in one meant the other was automatically gone. And it did seem like she did it for herself, not because she was trying to be a submissive wife. I hope this couple has a happy future.

From what I've read, a lot of them don't know the origins of their own religion. The church gives a very sanitized version of the whole thing and heavily discourages reading any material that may challenge their faith (there's a phrase for this, I think, how the Mormon church refers to such material, and it's slipping my mind right now). The internet is kind of a game-changer in regards to this, and from what I've seen, a lot of ex-mos started down the road out of the church by googling stuff about Mormonism and learning what a mess Joseph Smith really was.

Guest Anonymous
The church gives a very sanitized version of the whole thing and heavily discourages reading any material that may challenge their faith (there's a phrase for this, I think, how the Mormon church refers to such material, and it's slipping my mind right now).

Is "sacred, not secret" what you're thinking of, Cannelle?

They make it sound like he was looking at the golden plates and reading off of them in English, and someone else wrote what he said. I didn't know about the seer stones until last year, after nearly 8 years in the church.

and didn't he refuse to show others the stones? I could just be channeling South Park. though

He refused to show anyone the golden plates (he said the angel Moroni took them back). I don't know about the stones, though.

President Benson (passed away) Grandson left the church while he was president. If you want to read about people leaving church exmormon.org is a great web site. Steve Benson's story is up there.

i've always found it interesting that mormon and moroni are so close to the word moron. coincidence?

Didn't Joseph Smith help himself to about sixteen wives, some under the age of sixteen, and then said Emma Smith couldn't get pissed off because it was a revelation from God? And they BUY it?

I still don't know why they're okay with the fact that the church used to say black people were stained with sin and couldn't become priests. Funny how they 'realised' this was mistranslated after the civil rights movement. I wonder if one day they'll get a revelation that homosexuality isn't a sin and backpedel on their previous stance.

a Friend of mine just quit the Mormon church last year (he was close to be kicked out), and he was trying to discuss those origins to other mormons.

He was really upset about how much Mormons don't know about the past of the Church, and apparently distributing that information was considered trouble making.

From what I've read on exmormon.org they deliver a very santised version of church history and only let slip some of the weirder stuff when people are full members, and even then they hide a lot of it.

I liked reading that article. I wish the husband and wife the best in the future. I have visited ex-Mormon several times and it is interesting site, but like freejoytoo said the members do hide some things. My uncle was married to a woman who was ex-Mormon and she straight up admitted that they are some things she and her family will not talk about from their Mormon days.

i've always found it interesting that mormon and moroni are so close to the word moron. coincidence?

I was talking to my daughter about Greek Mythology, in a way that might make sense to a 5 year old, a few days ago, and realized that the Greek God of the Underworld was named "Mormo". He was Hecate's lovah. Coincidence?

exmormon.org ate a few weeks of my life once.

Some of the strange Mormon origin stories is one reason I could never understand how people could believe some of this stuff. I didn't realize that if you were raised in the church you probably never heard about that stuff and only got a sanitized version. Makes sense, I guess.

Many years ago, when my ex-husband was in the military, we were stationed in an area far away from our family, with two toddlers and not much support for things like babysitting, etc. One of my husband's officers took an interest in him and started mentoring him and spending time with him at work. Then we were invited to their house for a barbecue and for their kids and ours to play together. They were lovely Mormon people, but were only really interested in us because they thought they might be able to convert us. I admired their devotion to each other and their strong emphasis on family in their religion, but I could never get past the strange origins of the religion enough to actually believe in the same stuff they did. We made it clear we were not interested in being Mormons and they broke off contact with us and never spoke to us again.

Some of the strange Mormon origin stories is one reason I could never understand how people could believe some of this stuff. I didn't realize that if you were raised in the church you probably never heard about that stuff and only got a sanitized version. Makes sense, I guess.

Many years ago, when my ex-husband was in the military, we were stationed in an area far away from our family, with two toddlers and not much support for things like babysitting, etc. One of my husband's officers took an interest in him and started mentoring him and spending time with him at work. Then we were invited to their house for a barbecue and for their kids and ours to play together. They were lovely Mormon people, but were only really interested in us because they thought they might be able to convert us. I admired their devotion to each other and their strong emphasis on family in their religion, but I could never get past the strange origins of the religion enough to actually believe in the same stuff they did. We made it clear we were not interested in being Mormons and they broke off contact with us and never spoke to us again.

OMG, how creepy! It's like they stalked you. But that's so typical of the Mormon MO - put on this great, happy face so people will think we're so wonderful when in reality we have a take-over-the-world agenda.

I just don't understand how anyone can take the idea of Jesus making a special trip to America seriously. It's so obviously a ploy to make people have an excuse to worship America.

OMG, how creepy! It's like they stalked you. But that's so typical of the Mormon MO - put on this great, happy face so people will think we're so wonderful when in reality we have a take-over-the-world agenda.

I think this creepy stalking is more than just a Mormon thing. Cults call it "love bombing", and I had fundies do it to me, fundies who would smite you if you compared their faith to the Mormons.

I was going to ask a question before I got side-tracked telling my Mormons-stalking-us story -

What is the thing with the underwear that the woman mentions in the article? Devout Mormons have special underwear they have to wear? WTF?

Archived