IGNORED

Baby dies After Rabbi/Oral suction Post-Circ {merged}

Sinister Rouge

No one is examining them. I just end up in some conversations about it with militant anti-circumcizers and I've been asked what we did. What it really comes down to is that I need to stop being so sensitive and worrying about disapproval all the time.

I strongly suggest you don't tell them anything. It's really none of their business, and discussing it creates the idea that the matter is, in fact, up for discussion.

There are conversations where talking about your kid's circumcision status is reasonable and appropriate. This one, actually. But if they're asking then they're probably asking just so they can decide whether or not to attack you. Something I learned as a child was to never, ever answer a question unless I knew why it was being asked. I might get bullied for not responding, but it's always worse to respond to leading questions.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You haven't met some of them that I have. Apparently you should do everything short of DEATH to save your son's foreskin.

Friend of mine, her son was born with holes in his junk I can't remember the name of the condition, but literally his urine came out from a hole through the side of his penis near the base. They HAD to use the foreskin to rebuild his boyhood. SHE gets crap over it!!!

Hypospadias. My nephew had his fixed last week.

• 3 months later...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/14/nyreg ... itual.html

While notice is a good thing, in fundie land it's really irrelevant. If the rabbi says "do it", they do it. I DO think there will be a constitutional challenge, which will fail because it does not prohibit the expression of religion, but why not force the mohel to get tested as well? If he's negative then there's little risk of transmission. (I'm not supporting the practice just trying to regulate within the constitution)

When I read a different NYT article earlier (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/nyregion/regulation-of-circumcision-method-divides-some-jews-in-new-york.html), I remember there being a woman who wasn't aware the mohel was going to perform the metzitzah b’peh, so notice might be good for some parents. I also don't see how this regulation could be deemed unconstitutional; they aren't blocking the practice, just requiring a consent form. That said, I think there's going to be problems the first time someone is cited for this.

Testing would be problematic due to how easy Herpes simplex 1 is to transmit. You can get it by sharing drinks and such. I'm sure many mohelim perform bris daily, so how often would they test? Herpes can be spread even if there isn't a sore.

When I read a different NYT article earlier (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/nyregion/regulation-of-circumcision-method-divides-some-jews-in-new-york.html), I remember there being a woman who wasn't aware the mohel was going to perform the metzitzah b’peh, so notice might be good for some parents. I also don't see how this regulation could be deemed unconstitutional; they aren't blocking the practice, just requiring a consent form. That said, I think there's going to be problems the first time someone is cited for this.

Testing would be problematic due to how easy Herpes simplex 1 is to transmit. You can get it by sharing drinks and such. I'm sure many mohelim perform bris daily, so how often would they test? Herpes can be spread even if there isn't a sore.

The Mohelim that started this thread is positive and has been positive for some time. Arguably, he would be excluded from performing the ceremony not because the ceremony is banned, but because HE would have to inform families that he has a disease that poses a fatal risk to their infant or even prohibited from performing it BECAUSE he poses such a risk. I cant see any mother choosing to allow someone with Herpes to perform the ceremony when there are other people who pose a lesser risk.

Ah, that's what I get for skimming. That is frankly terrifying - I can't believe someone would continue performing this despite knowing he has a disease that is potentially fatal. Even if the moral dilemma didn't get to them, you'd expect the threat of a lawsuit or criminal charges would.

Personally, I'm a big fan of circumcision. There. I said it!

This situation is disgusting though! It's pervy and creepy, and I see absolutely no reason to suck the penis of an infant! This specific practice needs to be stopped. It's just sooo...did I already say creepy?

I like the Bris' though in general (among normal Orthodox -not hareidi, and especially among the Reform & Reconstructionist sects. They are full of meaning. The ones I went to, the baby hardly cried at all. It was a very profound ceremony.

Regardless of my position on circumcision, I find it disturbing that it is sanctioned that an adult will use his mouth on a baby genitalia.

This isnt right, there is no reason ever for an adult to suck a childs penis. It should be banned, and safer methods should be used instead, as it is unsanitary and disgusting.

If a medical doctor used his/her mouth to suck on an open wound, they'd probably get sued for malpractice at the very least. That's in the absence of actually passing a communicable disease to the patient or oral to genital contact being involved.

A circumcision is a medical procedure, not just a religious ritual. I think mohelim should be regulated and/or licensed to make sure they're not causing those boys that they perform the procedure on additional problems. Even most lay/direct entry midwives have more training in sanitary practices/disease transmission than that.

Archived