IGNORED

Punishment for Immodesty: Getting Scalded

RR88

What's with the random words written in the Hebrew alphabet. I got the gist of the story, but feel like I'm prolly missing a lot.

What's with the random words written in the Hebrew alphabet. I got the gist of the story, but feel like I'm prolly missing a lot.

Does it help when you read the comments and the same random Yiddish and/or Hebrew words are written in the Latin alphabet?

Of course, mixing languages like that isn't a bad thing, per se, though it has the effect of making an in-group and an out-group really, really fast.

Oh, I'm sorry! I wasn't paying attention.

רחמנות = ra7manut. Mercy or compassion

נשמות = Neshamot. Souls

עונש = 'Onesh. Punishment

צניעות = Tzni'ut. Modesty

צניעות'דיג = Tzni'us'dig. Modest

Yidden = Jews

אכזרים = Akhzarim. Cruel people

מצוה = Mitzva. Commandment

בורא עולם = Boreh 'Olam. The creator of the world (God)

אשה כשרה = Isha Keshera. Proper (literally, "kosher") woman

קדושה = Qedusha. Holiness

Thanks for those translations RR88. I have been making an attempt to teach myself to read Hebrew for several months. I can now sound out most words but basically, I'm in Hebrew kindegarten. Every little bit helps. :)

שומר אמונים is Shomer Emunim and means "guardians of the faith", but I have no idea what that means in this context.

Thanks for those translations RR88. I have been making an attempt to teach myself to read Hebrew for several months. I can now sound out most words but basically, I'm in Hebrew kindegarten. Every little bit helps. :)

I'm in Arabic kindergarten. I can hardly read! :lol:

As I said elsewhere, I'm going to dress REALLY immodestly when I drive up to the Kosher grocery store for my kosher meat and cheese tomorrow in protest of this shit existing. *wicked grin*

As I said elsewhere, I'm going to dress REALLY immodestly when I drive up to the Kosher grocery store for my kosher meat and cheese tomorrow in protest of this shit existing. *wicked grin*

WARNING-THREADJACK- OK, what makes cheese kosher or not? Does it have to be from milk sourced from Jewish dairies?

WARNING-THREADJACK- OK, what makes cheese kosher or not? Does it have to be from milk sourced from Jewish dairies?

Some of the rennet used by some sources is what you call it, made from a cow's stomach, mixing meat+ dairy=not kosher.

In a pinch if I don't have time to drive the hour and 1/2 to the kosher grocery store, I have been known to nip into Trader Joes or Whole Paycheck and grab certified vegetarian cheese that just doesn't have the kosher symbol on it.

Unless you do Cholov Yisroel... that's a WHOLE OTHER KETTLE OF FISH which I know not much about, but I know its a lot more stringent than just kosher cheese.

7alav Yisrael is a category of dairy products whose production is supervised by an Orthodox Jew from the time that the animal is milked until the final items are packaged.

So, rennet is the no-no if cheese is to pass basic kosher (pardon the expression), and the supervision of an Orthodox Jew is needed for CY. Thank you for explaining, ilt and RR88!

Back to our regularly scheduled thread now.

So, rennet is the no-no if cheese is to pass basic kosher (pardon the expression), and the supervision of an Orthodox Jew is needed for CY. Thank you for explaining, ilt and RR88!

Back to our regularly scheduled thread now.

They just use veggie rennet. :)

The deity these people worship is fairly evil. I decided to stop worshipping it years ago.

honestly, my idea of G-d would seriously be reading this going "WHAT THE STINKING FUCK!?!?!?! Quick! get these idiots psychiatric help!"

Ugh, it's only a matter of time before some unstable Messianic type gets hold of this and does it for real.

It's okay. Many of the students that my mom tutors for their Bar/Bat Mitzvah are in no better shape than you despite having gone to Hebrew school for specifically that purpose since they were quite young.

And despite learning to read Hebrew around the time I learned to read English, I still appreciate vowels when I try to read all but the most simple Hebrew. And I definitely sound things out when I try to read Arabic. Which is what I do for fun every time the NYT posts a picture that has Arabic in it--I try and decode it and see if it has any words I might recognize.

Joining with the Hebrew crowd - bring on the discussions!

I've grown up secular, my parents are more observant, I have observant friends and family (and my boss caught me biting into a Danish on Passover and did the "nu-nu-nu!" finger wag at me), and I can't help but wonder if this is an entirely different religion we're talking about. Of course, growing up in Israel I've encountered numerous acts of bullying in the name of religion, all while chastising the depraved ways of secular parents who let their kids smoke, help them buy pot and take them stab their first armed robbery victim at the age of 9.

honestly, my idea of G-d would seriously be reading this going "WHAT THE STINKING FUCK!?!?!?! Quick! get these idiots psychiatric help!"

Very true. We have crazy f--cks in Judaism but they don't represent the majority or even a large minority of people. I sorta wonder what the parents reaction is to these stories or how common something like this is.

The deity in question would probably not approve of this story being taught to children or the extremism that's behind it.

Just a thought, but my mom read me some super gruesome stories as a kid. Really scary sh*t. Its all been Disneyfied for the consumption of American kids but my foreign mother didn't mind reading me stories of the little mermaid plunging a dagger into her chest or Pinocchio being swallowed by a whale etc... I think this and the pins story belongs in the realm of kiddy stories that were told to scare the sh*t out of kids but may not (at least originally) had anything to do with forcing them into extreme modesty... And they shouldn't be used to brainwash children. I don't subscribe to the idea of sanitizing all stories for children but I think when I'm a parent I wouldn't mix up gruesome fairytales and religious doctrine.

Archived