IGNORED

Joshua Maxwell

alikat

I just left a comment under the latest Maxwell post, asking whether they will circumcise Joshua. Do you think they'll post it?

I know circumcision is an oft-asked question for new parents, what do you think NR-Anna and Christopher will decide?

PS I can just picture Grandpa Steve wielding a scalpel, glint in his eye and preaching a sermon about death.

I don't know. Isn't it quite common in America, and don't a lot of Christians think it's their duty because it's in Leviticus and they ignore the later part that says it's not necessary? I have a feeling they would.

Not sure if these guys have hatred for other religions (don't know much about the Maxwells) but I have heard of American Christians not circumcising because Jews/Muslims do! (Well, read it on forums. It could be an urban myth.)

Have any fundies posted on circumcision before?

I hope they don't, anyway.

Joshua will be done because Christopher would have been done. Christopher would have been done because Steve would have been done. Steve would have been done because, well, everyone was back then.

No thought. No reason. Boys must be the same as their fathers. (I married the non-fundy in a mostly fundy family and got hit with this argument very early on.)

I had assumed that they would, do you think it would be done in a special ceremony, like Jewish boys, or at a hospital?

Joshua will be done because Christopher would have been done. Christopher would have been done because Steve would have been done. Steve would have been done because, well, everyone was back then.

No thought. No reason. Boys must be the same as their fathers. (I married the non-fundy in a mostly fundy family and got hit with this argument very early on.)

I've heard this argument from non-fundies too, including my very liberal partner. It makes no sense. I told him that if we have a son there is no way I'm letting it happen - and I'm a (lapsed) Jew.

I've heard this argument from non-fundies too, including my very liberal partner. It makes no sense. I told him that if we have a son there is no way I'm letting it happen - and I'm a (lapsed) Jew.

I thought circ started at the beginning of the century on a wide scale in the US? That would mean someone got his penis different from his father!

Although I think Steve would do it just to limit penile pleasure/masturbation, buying into the myth!

I've heard the "but his penis will be different from his father's!" argument too. Best rebuttal I've heard is, well, his father is an adult, there are all KINDS of ways in which junior's genitalia are going to be different. When he's young enough to be supposedly shocked by this, that explanation suffices, as he gets older, he will be able to understand the issue.

I can see the Maxwells being ok and wanting circumcisions done for baby boys. They would probably take Joshua to a clinic or hosptial to get it done.

I thought circ started at the beginning of the century on a wide scale in the US? That would mean someone got his penis different from his father!

I know, right?! It would mean a whole generation was different and somehow it wasn't an issue! But people don't think of that obvious counter-argument. If it was even relevant anyway, as if family members sit around comparing penises and stressing out about differences. And it was closer to the middle of the century I think (could be wrong), so it hasn't been "tradition" for very long at all.

In Canada it became wide-scale post WW2 with the Boomer generation as it was thought to be more hygienic.

About 17 years ago it was removed from government covered medical procedures here in Ontario and parents now have to pay out of pocket if they want circs. Most boomers born here are circed, their fathers are not.

Were JC born in a hospital, i would have no question that he was circumcised. I do wonder if they'll take him in to a dr specially for it, though?

I don't think the morphology of an infant's genitalia is something to post about on one's blog. jmho.

I don't think the morphology of an infant's genitalia is something to post about on one's blog. jmho.

Not to mention in this context has zero to do with

1. Anyone else's business

2. Patriarchy

Steve will never respond to that question anyway.

For once I agree with steve.

Let's this moment not go unnoticed.

Not to mention in this context has zero to do with

1. Anyone else's business

2. Patriarchy

I'm totally agree. Unless he posts something about doing it with a rock on the kitchen table this isnt something we need to worry about.

I'm totally agree. Unless he posts something about doing it with a rock on the kitchen table this isnt something we need to worry about.

Or if he wants to post about how godly people do or do not do it, well then let's chow down!

I've heard the "but his penis will be different from his father's!" argument too. Best rebuttal I've heard is, well, his father is an adult, there are all KINDS of ways in which junior's genitalia are going to be different. When he's young enough to be supposedly shocked by this, that explanation suffices, as he gets older, he will be able to understand the issue.

DH's comment was, "I don't even want to think about my father's penis, much less compare mine to it."

LOL

Gothard thinks circumcision is not required. Which leaves families open to the default, make sure the kids penis replicates his fathers'.

I can see the Maxwells being ok and wanting circumcisions done for baby boys. They would probably take Joshua to a clinic or hosptial to get it done.

This is what I think too. And I don't think they publish the comment. I wouldn't if it was asked of me in a public forum. I consider that a private parent decision.

Archived