IGNORED

Rabbi Shmuley Boteach Wins NJ-9 GOP Primary

Visionoyahweh

Yeah, I'm not that impressed with him. In Moms, Don't Forget to Feed Your Marriages, he wrote, "[breastfeeding] should always remain subordinate to the romantic and passionate needs of a marriage," "but public breastfeeding is profoundly de-eroticizing, and I believe that wives should cover up, even when they nurse their babies in their husband's presence," and "I believe this same problem comes up when men witness childbirth up close. There are certain poses in which a husband should not see his wife."

I was ready to throw stuff at the TV during that episode.

Look, I've had cases where marriages did collapse under the strain of child rearing, and I'll admit that breastfeeding wasn't that easy on my sex life either. [TMI, but I remember my doctor doing a pelvic exam with a resident observing, and she said to her, "you'll notice vaginal atrophy due to breastfeeding". Yikes!]

At the same time - this advice Does. Not. Help. It would be far more useful to get the husband more involved with the kids and help to carve out some private time as a couple.

As for the public breastfeeding comments, :roll: I've ranted about it before, so I'll just add the following conversation between hubby and I:

Me: Hon, did you really need to upload those photos of my nursing? Now, when you show anyone photos on the TV, those photos tend to pop up on a big screen.

Him: What's the big deal? It's beautiful, and you should be proud!

...and that, folks, is why we are still married.

The breast feeding comment is somewhat hilarious because its the Orthodox women I know who seem to have lost giving a f**k about whether or not anyone cares if they breastfeed in public. Most, not all, I know use those feeding shield things but honestly they aren't shielding everything and I think after a few kids you just really could care less because you need to feed the youngest as quickly as possible. They have far too many kids to take care of to worry about some dude getting squicked out over what they are doing under the blanket/shield thingy.

Rabbi Boteach is just one voice too and he's a total media whore.

Ya, men are supposed to not be there when wives give birth, but that was the tradition for like 10,000 years. So it became tradition and tradition became law. Jews love to write everything down and analyze it.

Anyhoo, I've seen super religious fundy Jewish men in the delivery rooms with their wives. Sometimes holding hands and watching, and one who passed out the first 2 times his wife gave birth and after that it was decided he would just wait outside and not cause more trouble with his fainting spells.

But, in Judaism there is one rule that outweighs that nullifies the rest. If someone is in physical or mental distress and needs immediate help or comfort then that must be provided. Therefore if the wife is giving birth and there is no doctor or doula or whoever to help you do whatever it takes to help her birth that baby healthfully. There is no nidda or spirituality law that applies anymore.

But a fame monger like Rabbi Boteach will say things that are controversial. I think he enjoys the attention, even if he has to contradict himself.

PS: Regarding the head coverings and long skirts etc..... The one thing I will say is that the head covering applies to the men as well and men must cover up. I don't agree with the ultra modesty but it does apply to both sexes and there are a few variations of what constitutes modest among Jewish fundies. In many cases a kerchief and a cottons dress suffices for women (sometimes with knee socks or tights if they are super extra religious). Men wear religious undergarments called tzitzit, undershirts, dress shirts and then dark pants/jackets along with a kippa and a hat. I think the men get the raw end of the deal in the modest dress category. Its not like when JimBoob is wearing a t-shirt and the "old" Michelle would be wearing her peter pan collar dress with thick tights.

Sorry to focus on this, but how can he give her oral sex if he can't look directly at her vulva?

Sorry to focus on this, but how can he give her oral sex if he can't look directly at her vulva?

Can't be staring directly at it during childbirth, unless it's a case of medical necessity. That's not a time that anyone is getting oral!

Can't be staring directly at it during childbirth, unless it's a case of medical necessity. That's not a time that anyone is getting oral!

There's a fetish for everything. :dance:

Hmm, all these things they never told me back when I was a naive little baalat teshuva (a Jew returning to Orthodoxy - didn't last long.)

So birthing a baby is the most amazing sacred thing that a woman can do, her whole reason for existing, yet the minute she goes into labor she is in a state of "spiritual impurity" and Teh Holy Husband cannot touch her, which conveniently gets him out of having to witness any of the painful messy stuff. Awesome. Do we need any more proof that this religion was made up by a bunch of men?

Not only that, but it sounds like a GREAT way for a guy to shirk any of those pesky parental responsibilities. Newborn crying in the night? Dad gets to fuck right off, while poor mom, who has just passed the equivalent of a bowling ball through her genitals (or had her abdomen sliced open and stitched back together) gets to haul her exhausted, dripping, aching body out of bed for the third time that night, all because an old-ass book says she's disgusting and Dad isn't allowed to hand the baby to her. Fuck that shit, for real.

Not only that, but it sounds like a GREAT way for a guy to shirk any of those pesky parental responsibilities. Newborn crying in the night? Dad gets to fuck right off, while poor mom, who has just passed the equivalent of a bowling ball through her genitals (or had her abdomen sliced open and stitched back together) gets to haul her exhausted, dripping, aching body out of bed for the third time that night, all because an old-ass book says she's disgusting and Dad isn't allowed to hand the baby to her. Fuck that shit, for real.

From what I've been told by people who keep all of these rules, the dad still gets up, changes the baby, etc. He just puts the baby down (eg. on the bed beside her, in the bassinet or crib, etc.) instead of handing the baby directly into her arms.

I was ready to throw stuff at the TV during that episode.

Look, I've had cases where marriages did collapse under the strain of child rearing, and I'll admit that breastfeeding wasn't that easy on my sex life either. [TMI, but I remember my doctor doing a pelvic exam with a resident observing, and she said to her, "you'll notice vaginal atrophy due to breastfeeding". Yikes!]

At the same time - this advice Does. Not. Help. It would be far more useful to get the husband more involved with the kids and help to carve out some private time as a couple.

As for the public breastfeeding comments, :roll: I've ranted about it before, so I'll just add the following conversation between hubby and I:

Me: Hon, did you really need to upload those photos of my nursing? Now, when you show anyone photos on the TV, those photos tend to pop up on a big screen.

Him: What's the big deal? It's beautiful, and you should be proud!

...and that, folks, is why we are still married.

Your husband sounds like a good guy. :-)

There's a fetish for everything. :dance:

Hahahahaha, gotcha.

Archived