IGNORED

Heartland Baptist Bible College

terranova

Was browsing their website, as you do, and was interested in some of their photos.

heartlandbaptist.edu/files/Photo%20Gallery/Student%20Life/Computer%20Lab.jpg

This is their "new" computer lab. Full of Ministry Secretarial majors. All women ofcourse.

The purpose of the Ministry Secretarial program is to develop and educate female students for professional qualifications in a church office or local church ministry.
Wow, sounds thrilling, just want I wanted to be when I grew up.

heartlandbaptist.edu/files/Photo%20Gallery/Student%20Life/Introduction%20to%20Greek.jpg

And Introduction to Greek with lots of studious young men in suits and buzz cuts.

Reading their 'about' section. A few things of note:

"... the main Christian purpose in the world is winning people to Christ and establishing and building New Testament Baptist Churches."

"We believe the King James Bible is God’s Word supernaturally and providentially preserved for the English-speaking people. Believing this, Heartland uses and requires the King James Bible for all preaching and teaching, Bible study, memorization, and class work and assignments for both students and faculty."

"Home church and pastoral involvement" (Under 'Strengths')

"Christ-honoring music" (Under 'Distinctives.' Doesn't go into detail).

"PRACTICALLY: To encourage consistent personal evangelism and service in the local church. To develop in the student the belief that salvation of the lost and training of the saved are the particular objectives of Christian education." (Under 'Objectives')

"Heartland is not accredited under rules promulgated and adopted by the Oklahoma State Board of Regents for Higher Education nor by any national or regional accrediting agency which is recognized by the State of Oklahoma or the U.S. Department of Education.

Heartland does not grant degrees per se, but does award diplomas for completion of a four year course of study as well as two and three year diplomas. Transfer of courses from Heartland to other colleges or universities is at the discretion of the receiving institution.

It is the position of this college that quality training that is both godly and practical can be provided to students who desire to attend Heartland without the need for academic oversight from any accrediting agencies. Unfortunately, spiritual mandates often collide with society’s expectations in the area of academics and training; therefore, Heartland chooses to maintain its credibility and its commitment to excellence by continuing to stand true to the dictates of the Word of God rather than following after 'man’s approval.'" (Under 'Accredition Status')

"Heartland Baptist Bible College seeks no national or regional accreditation, but seeks only God’s approval. The college chooses to be accredited by the pastors and churches that support the college and other who are part of the 'Friends of Heartland,' which is a loose affiliation of pastors, missionaries, evangelists, and other individuals, who by choice, share a common interest in accomplishing the purposes of Heartland Baptist Bible College.

Heartland is an independent educational institution, not governed by any convention or religious movement or fellowship, and the college chooses to remain independent of any governmental or quasi-governmental controls and approvals." (Under 'Approvals')

Their music selections all appear to be classical, traditional pieces or instrumentals, and their book selection is no better. I definitely smell fundie with this one. The gendered courses and intentions are just the icing on the cake.

In other words "you'll only be able to get a job with us or our church, suckers!"

They're definitely fundie. I knew a girl who went there. She was from a denim frumper family. She got her M.R.S. and went off to live with him rather than coming back home.

ETA: I just noticed some of the ladies are playing games instead of doing work. I wonder if the person taking the picture even cared.

Wow, that looks like our computer lab . . . back in the early 90s. I loved how long they went on about accreditation when the answer was simply "NO".

I would really hate to see their old computer lab...

It probably had typewriters. Manual ones.

They're definitely fundie. I knew a girl who went there. She was from a denim frumper family. She got her M.R.S. and went off to live with him rather than coming back home.

ETA: I just noticed some of the ladies are playing games instead of doing work. I wonder if the person taking the picture even cared.

I don't think they're playing games; I think they're just in a different part of the assignment. Half the class has one screen and half has the other--surely they wouldn't all be playing the same game at the same time.

Is it just me who thinks the word "secretarial" is kind of old-school. How about "administrative assistant"?

All I know is, these are some of the most dismal dorms I've ever seen:

heartlandbaptist.edu/626568.ihtml

All I know is, these are some of the most dismal dorms I've ever seen:

heartlandbaptist.edu/626568.ihtml

They don't look any different than my son's dorms at Lake Forest College, or my daughter's dorm at UWEC. They are a vast improvement over the dorms I had in nursing school, but I loved living in those dorms anyway. Dorm life has less to do with the physical environment and more to do with moving in with a bunch of strangers and developing friendships that often last a lifetime.

Wow they put a lot of people in one room!

That's not uncommon. My son had 4 guys in his first dorm room, and it was a very small room. My daughter had the same. Their rooms were smaller than the rooms in these photos.

"We believe the King James Bible is God’s Word supernaturally and providentially preserved for the English-speaking people.

That's all I need to know about them to conclude that they are idiots in the business of teaching young people to be idiots. God I hate stupidity. Funny how it so often goes hand-in-hand with religion.

I will never get over the idea of multi-person dorm rooms, it sounds awful! In the UK I'd say probably 99% of students have their own room in university halls of residence, with a few sharing a twin room in older dorm buildings - but universities are continually upgrading their accommodation and twin rooms are disappearing.

I will never get over the idea of multi-person dorm rooms, it sounds awful! In the UK I'd say probably 99% of students have their own room in university halls of residence, with a few sharing a twin room in older dorm buildings - but universities are continually upgrading their accommodation and twin rooms are disappearing.

In nursing school we had private rooms our first year. They were small rooms with a small closet, bed, dresser, desk, and sink. The building was very old. The idea was we'd get to know one another, then pick a roommate for the rest of the years. We went to school year round. This worked well, no one was stuck with a random roommate they might like or not like. The double rooms were in the new dorms, not sure how new but newer. Two beds, two closets with built in dresser in between closets, 2 desks, and the sink was in a vanity rather than the free standing sinks in the old dorms. Each floor (3) of the new dorms had a lounge with a TV, a stove (pre-microwave days), and a few couches. There was one laundry room for the whole building. Each floor had a shower room with about 5 showers and commodes. And there was a tub, which we didn't have in the old days. There was very little privacy so anyone who wasn't comfortable with nudity had a rough time.

What I'll never get the idea of is being required to do your writing assignment in a big room with a bunch of other students on a public computer. I can't write like that, I need my personal space and to not feel like someone is looking over my shoulder.

In nursing school we had private rooms our first year. They were small rooms with a small closet, bed, dresser, desk, and sink. The building was very old. The idea was we'd get to know one another, then pick a roommate for the rest of the years. We went to school year round. This worked well, no one was stuck with a random roommate they might like or not like. The double rooms were in the new dorms, not sure how new but newer. Two beds, two closets with built in dresser in between closets, 2 desks, and the sink was in a vanity rather than the free standing sinks in the old dorms. Each floor (3) of the new dorms had a lounge with a TV, a stove (pre-microwave days), and a few couches. There was one laundry room for the whole building. Each floor had a shower room with about 5 showers and commodes. And there was a tub, which we didn't have in the old days. There was very little privacy so anyone who wasn't comfortable with nudity had a rough time.

Do US students live in college accommodation for all 4 years of their degree or do they go into privately-owned housing at some stage? Over here almost all first-year students live in university accommodation but then share a privately-owned house (renting it that is) for their second and third years, although some students move back into dorms for their third and final year to be nearer the library etc (degrees in England and Wales last for 3 years, in Scotland they are 4 years, don't know about Northern Ireland). Most uni dorms now are individual rooms set around a kitchen and bathroom, usually 4 or 5 students per kitchen/bathroom, and floors are usually mixed-sex but in unis with a few single-sex floors for women. En-suite rooms are now catching up in popularity as well, when I go to university this year I will hopefully have one!

Do US students live in college accommodation for all 4 years of their degree or do they go into privately-owned housing at some stage? Over here almost all first-year students live in university accommodation but then share a privately-owned house (renting it that is) for their second and third years, although some students move back into dorms for their third and final year to be nearer the library etc (degrees in England and Wales last for 3 years, in Scotland they are 4 years, don't know about Northern Ireland). Most uni dorms now are individual rooms set around a kitchen and bathroom, usually 4 or 5 students per kitchen/bathroom, and floors are usually mixed-sex but in unis with a few single-sex floors for women. En-suite rooms are now catching up in popularity as well, when I go to university this year I will hopefully have one!

Today it's very rare that students live in the dorms all 4 years. Most universities require freshmen to live in the dorms but after that it's optional. My kids lived in dorms the first year, then lived in houses with other friends. Fraternity and sorority students live in housing owned by the fraternity or sorority.

When I was in nursing school there was no option to live elsewhere. There was a classmate who lived at 635 Linwood, our dorms were at 636 Linwood. She had to live in the dorms. At that time most colleges and smaller universities had students live in dorms all 4 years but larger universities didn't require that. My boyfriend went to the University of Buffalo and lived in a rooming house. There were lots of rooming houses where you got a room, shared bath, and breakfast and dinner. It was generally as cheap or cheaper than the dorms.

Wow they put a lot of people in one room!

The Duggars or the kids from LiaS would feel right at home.

Today it's very rare that students live in the dorms all 4 years. Most universities require freshmen to live in the dorms but after that it's optional. My kids lived in dorms the first year, then lived in houses with other friends. Fraternity and sorority students live in housing owned by the fraternity or sorority.

When I was in nursing school there was no option to live elsewhere. There was a classmate who lived at 635 Linwood, our dorms were at 636 Linwood. She had to live in the dorms. At that time most colleges and smaller universities had students live in dorms all 4 years but larger universities didn't require that. My boyfriend went to the University of Buffalo and lived in a rooming house. There were lots of rooming houses where you got a room, shared bath, and breakfast and dinner. It was generally as cheap or cheaper than the dorms.

Ah, we don't have fraternities or sororities here. I know that at Oxford living in dorms for all 3 years is relatively common since the cost of renting outside university accommodation is too expensive for all but the richest students.

In Scotland you also get option of working as a senior resident in halls.

I did. you get discount on payment. A big one.

was shit tho a student committed suicide on m my watch

We thought she ws happy but just made decision

s

In Scotland you also get option of working as a senior resident in halls.

I did. you get discount on payment. A big one.

was shit tho a student committed suicide on m my watch

We thought she ws happy but just made decision

s

That happens in the UK too at some universities, I forgot about that (it happened at the uni I was at briefly before).

It seems most conservative Christian schools require anyone under 25 who is single to live on campus. Otherwise they can't control them as easily.

Archived