IGNORED

"How to make an atheist's head explode"

Elle

A friend posted this on Facebook as proof of god. She's been making the move toward fundy for a while now, though in high school she was very atheist and didn't understand the idea behind gods at all. It's been a big surprise that she's been moving more and more into religion. For a handful of years now she's been very religious. Last year she pulled her kids out of school, and this year she's requiring her daughters to wear head-coverings. While she claims her husband is the authority in their home, he's actually so meek that he'll just back what she says. So she might think he's in charge, but he's never voiced a thought of his own

zz0DT6uljSbg

Anyway yeah, that's what she posted as proof of god's existing.

Edit: well that's annoying. The YouTube thing didn't work. Here:

With the kind of stuff that fundy pastors have been spouting off, I was afrain the answer was going to be "A shotgun."

So what happens when the atheist doesn't follow the script and admits that the Big Bang is just a theory? And what about what happens when the Atheist says, Well, lets agree that something happened and the Universe came into existence. THAT point we can agree on. Let's discuss something actually more relevant to us and to the supposed existence of a god- let's talk about god "sacrificing' his son but making him lie three dyas later- not much of a sacrifice if you know he's coming back, is it?

Zealots freak at the thought of a life free from magical fairy tales controlling their lives. What's more, they freak out that you LIVE such a life! Shriek! Let's try to confound them and make their heads explode! Lets scare them into believing in God!

How to make the head of the guy who created that video's head explode. If there was no big bang, then why is the distance between galaxies increasing as we speak?

D'aww, they're trying to tell people how to vote! Guess what asshole, not only will I vote on your video however I fucking want, but I don't find your arguments logical, coherent, or well thought-out, and neither will most educated viewers. THAT is why your video has been voted down so many times.

The metaphorical pigeon on the chess board is a-struttin', let me tell you...

Zzzzzzzzzzz....my head didn't explode. The great thing about science is that it allows for theories, and they can be adjusted as more info becomes available. Maybe there was a big bang, and maybe there was something before the big bang...we just don't know.

Very very poor argument.

D'aww, they're trying to tell people how to vote! Guess what asshole, not only will I vote on your video however I fucking want, but I don't find your arguments logical, coherent, or well thought-out, and neither will most educated viewers. THAT is why your video has been voted down so many times.

The metaphorical pigeon on the chess board is a-struttin', let me tell you...

I don't think the person who posted that particular one necessarily agrees with it. The original maker of the video won't allow comments, and as you can see, most of the comments on the one with comments allowed are about how stupid the argument for god is in that video. Videos with higher scores show up first in searches. That's all.

Zzzzzzzzzzz....my head didn't explode. The great thing about science is that it allows for theories, and they can be adjusted as more info becomes available. Maybe there was a big bang, and maybe there was something before the big bang...we just don't know.

Very very poor argument.

I'm a believer that before the singularity that caused the big bang was another universe that was started by a big bang, grew until the gravitational forces started pulling it back until it collapsed in on it self creating said singularity and that that universe started the same way, and the next universe will start because this one collapsed in on itself. I also believe this has been going on since forever, and will continue on forever.

I'm a believer that before the singularity that caused the big bang was another universe that was started by a big bang, grew until the gravitational forces started pulling it back until it collapsed in on it self creating said singularity and that that universe started the same way, and the next universe will start because this one collapsed in on itself. I also believe this has been going on since forever, and will continue on forever.

:clap:

That's the thing, fundies don't follow developments in quantum and theoretical physics (who really does, and fully understands it, anyway?) and don't realize that a lot of the "holes" in the big bang theory can be tentatively explained now.

I couldn't bear to watch with the sound on, but I read the captions. :roll:

The whole thing is ridiculous. The Big Bang has nothing to do with atheism. For argument's sake, let's assume that humanity is completely ignorant about the origin of the universe. Ignorance does not mean that we should make up stories to explain what we don't know.

I couldn't bear to watch with the sound on, but I read the captions. :roll:

The whole thing is ridiculous. The Big Bang has nothing to do with atheism. For argument's sake, let's assume that humanity is completely ignorant about the origin of the universe. Ignorance does not mean that we should make up stories to explain what we don't know.

...or insist on clinging to ancient irrelevant stories to explain what we actually DO know, for that matter!

"Irrelevant" is key. One of the main reasons I quite like Richard Dawkins' "The Blind Watchmaker" as a ordinary-reader introduction to evolution is that it doesn't set out to disprove creationism or anything like that - it merely points out that you don't NEED to have a God in the mix to explain all the parts from one single "pattern that replicates with errors, in a harsh environment that favors some patterns over others" definition of "life form" up to humans. If you WANT to imagine a God involved, party on, but it's not a necessary thing, it could have happened without one. All the "wow, but it's so intricate!!!" can happen just by itself.

Not to mention of course the obvious question - if you're trying to explain the origin of life forms, and they're SOOOO damn complicated so you bring in God, now you're stuck having to explain God, who has to be ever so much MORE complicated if he can create a bunch of life forms before breakfast.

Anyway - ages ago I read in a Star Trek novel (yeah, I know) about an interesting seal-like intelligent species in space that the Enterprise is interacting with. Their idea of God was a being (looked like them in their art, presumably) who sang the laws of physics into being. That I could get behind. :) Everything else happens from there...

I don't think the person who posted that particular one necessarily agrees with it. The original maker of the video won't allow comments, and as you can see, most of the comments on the one with comments allowed are about how stupid the argument for god is in that video. Videos with higher scores show up first in searches. That's all.

Aaaah, now I see what's going on. Thx for clearing that up.

I very much enjoyed this response (actual atheist argument pwns both the "atheist" strawman and the creationist)

That... was awesome.

Why are they building an atheist strawman? I don't understand why the atheist is always the bad guy. Most people worldwide believe in a deity, and most of us also believe in a scientifically explicable origin of the universe.

Why are they building an atheist strawman? I don't understand why the atheist is always the bad guy. Most people worldwide believe in a deity, and most of us also believe in a scientifically explicable origin of the universe.

That is a reality fundies cannot accept.

The only thing a fundie would have to do to make my head explode is respect my beliefs inspite of how different they are from theirs.

That they want my head to explode from their awesome and godly logic leaves me rather unimpressed.

Isn't it ironic how the person who made this video is obviously uneducated about atheism as well as modern science, yet tries to present the atheist as stupid, uneducated and as a terrible person?

And I am personally mad at the use of music vom Star Wars in this terrible, inferior video. Glad some replies have already been posted.

Atheism also intact here.

Btw, can't they see that putting God at the start of everything is no different from any other theory?

Very very poor argument.

Yes...it was even worse than I'd been expecting. Do they really think atheists haven't thought of this type of issue before, and wondered about it? Also, how does the fact we don't know everything about the universe mean there has to be a god?

I really don't get it at all. Can people honestly be this obtuse and lacking in logic?

Human brains are not well designed to conceptualize the infinite. Some people can live with that and others need an explanation. That is where god comes in. (Of course, just like all explanations for the infinite, you end up with the question: Where did god come from?)

Once humans figured out how to communicate with symbols, we also became to figure out how to calculate stuff. It became apparent that there were consistent patterns that occurred over and over again. These repetitive patterns are sometimes called sacred geometry. The building blocks of the universe are shaped in such a way that they fit together in very predictible patterns. Given that one fact, then the watch gets put together without any overseer (watchmaker). Who or what made things in that form? Nobody knows. This is how so many people can believe in deity also believe in science and evolution. Rather than believing that the literal description of the bible, they believe in a god who created the conditions for science to happen.

Some of us go a little bit further and think that perhaps god has been anthropomorphized by humans and really does not have the shape of a human being. Certainly, saying that god made man in his own image can be an extreme simplification of the idea that the building blocks always create the same shapes and patterns. Whatever this force is, it is all powerful because all things form according to these rules. Is this power sentient? I don't know. I lean towards thinking not, but it is possible.

Certainly, believing that this force is sentient would make me feel a little bit less helpless and insignificant in the universe. Or not.

Well, first I'd ask for their definition of supernatural. What exactly are they asking me about my beliefs and nonbeliefs? Of course, that would include having an actual conversation and not just following a script.

Yeah, my head is definitely ready to explode but not for the reasons they think.

Archived