IGNORED

Gay, HIV patient denied medication, visitors ‘for going agai

AtroposHeart

It's very odd. I'd find it hard to believe a doctor could be so bigoted - and not have been caught up on it yet by having something similar happen before. I like to think people wouldn't bring frivolous or hard to prove lawsuits either, but I realise that does happen, especially in some places. Anyway, I don't think doctors should be machines who have to treat regardless of their beliefs, but then they should be willing to provide an immediate referral or alternative treatment.

If the allegations are true, they weren't not "treating" him, they were withholding medication he already has a prescription for, but another doctor, outside of this doctors speciality.

I admit to being skeptical. Possibly because it is all so over the top and it reminds me of so many of the anti-abortion propoganda.

I believe there might be a sliver of truth here but I would like to read corroborating testimony

It's very odd. I'd find it hard to believe a doctor could be so bigoted - and not have been caught up on it yet by having something similar happen before. I like to think people wouldn't bring frivolous or hard to prove lawsuits either, but I realise that does happen, especially in some places. Anyway, I don't think doctors should be machines who have to treat regardless of their beliefs, but then they should be willing to provide an immediate referral or alternative treatment.

People make claims in lawsuits that they are ultimately unable to prove All. The. Time.

However, IF these allegations should have to be proven true at trial, there is no question in my mind that the doctor should lose her license. Doctors in hospitals have absolutely no right to deny treatment based on their personal feelings about a patient. If my husband was on call and paged to see a patient covered in neo-Nazi tatoos - he would have to treat him.

I've criticized Catholic hospitals before for their no birth control or abortions ever policies, but I can also say from experience that they do not deny treatment to patients based on sexuality or HIV status. The Catholic Church would not support a Catholic hospital holding clinics to give out condoms to high-risk populations, but there is nothing in their teachings that says that you deny basic medical treatment to patients who are HIV positive.

The debate over health care providers treating in accordance with their beliefs relates only to providing forms of treatment that violate their beliefs, not to cherry-picking patients.

It it's true, I hope the guy sues the piss out of the doctor and hospital, and lives richly for the remainder of his life.

The story does seem odd, but I totally believe something like this could happen. There are a lot of whack jobs out there. And I'm not referring to the mental patients.

riffle edit

Archived