IGNORED

Sleeping on shelving??

IReallyAmHopewell

You have to be joking - pouring water inside a wall to drown rats? That's a recipe for a horrible mold infestation if I've ever heard one.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair,she never told them to do it.

Beatrix Potter was a wonderful, talented author with a rich and lively vocabulary, but do not read The Roly-Poly Pudding to your children. They will think that rats live inside your walls and that their own kitten is in danger of being rolled in pastry and cooked. They will save their kitten by pouring gallons of water inside the wall to drown the rats.

It was just kids being kids.

I thought that fundies frowned on boy/girls sharing a bedroom. Of course, I could be wrong.

I don't know what that has to do with children pouring gallons of water into a wall to drown rats, nor how it is comparable to a doctor who has hired an exterminator. If she can't afford an exterminator, then she certainly can't afford to be a perpetual baby maker. The woman is disgusting and lazy.

I just wanted to point out that Texas and San Antonio in particular had a rat problem which makes it seem a little less like just Kim's problem because of a lower socioeconomic issue. I've never lived anywhere where rats were like that (or where there were any), and I never knew real people who had rats in their homes until I lived there. Not knowing that might give someone without knowledge of the area an additional reason to be disgusted, on top of everything else.

I don't follow Kim's blog for reasons that others have already stated here, and I didn't know that she talked about having her children pour boiling water in the walls. Some of the SA grocery stores actually sell rat poison on the aisle end caps because it's in such high demand there. Why would they not just buy a couple of boxes? I'm just as concerned about aspergillus niger growing in the walls as I am about the rest.

Here's another closet bed, this one with lots of stuff stored about a foot above the top "bunk":

homesteadblogger.com/lindseyinal/153864/

Ironically, the ad that comes up on this blog is for a furniture store: Young America, whose motto is A Room of Their Own (for babies and big kids).

How has CPS not been called on this family? This makes me so furious. I generally feel the fundies can have as many kids as they want to, not my business. But this is child neglect. Why do they need a freaking library? Why not get a shed a stick all their precious books out there? Or go to an actual public library if they need to read books? They have 3 bedrooms and 10 kids, put the youngest 2 in the room with mom and dad and split the rest up between the other two rooms in real beds. Jeeesus.

Just saw her eldest child is now 18. run deanna, RUN!!!! A normal 18 year old would be getting ready to head off to college....escaping that hell hole of a "home"- let me guess, Deanna will be stuck at home or sent off to Doug or some other VF royalty to be a free baby-sitting slave. Deanna- if you ever read this, I can guarantee if you ever wanted to escape there are FJers that would be happy to take you in- myself being one of them. Our house is tiny but you'd have a double bed to yourself in your own room with a door and NO RATS.

I don't follow Kim's blog for reasons that others have already stated here, and I didn't know that she talked about having her children pour boiling water in the walls. .

For the record, I didn't say it was boiling water, nor that she had her children do it.

I stopped reading Kim's blog, but just went back to take a look. This is part of her July 12 post on losing weight. She's still lazy.

"When I say I increased my activity level, I just mean I quit sitting around like a lump all day.

For one thing, I started running far more errands here at the house:

When I needed my purse, I got it myself.

When I needed a glass of water, I got it myself.

When one of the little ones wanted a drink, I got it myself.

And a hundred other examples..."

For the record, I didn't say it was boiling water, nor that she had her children do it.

I guess that the boiling part seemed to make more sense, as I don't think that pouring water in the walls would drown a rat. Considering that interior walls are porous and never sealed to contain water, you'd have to basically flood the whole house to affect rats, I would think. I clearly misunderstood and added "boiling."

But from what was written, I understood that the children were enlisted for the task:

I don't know what that has to do with children pouring gallons of water into a wall to drown rats...

I didn't mean to misrepresent what you wrote. Sorry. :?

Organique is a "bloggy-name"...thank God.

aspiringtosimplicity.blogspot.com/2011/01/little-late.html

I cannot get past the name Organique...

I thought that fundies frowned on boy/girls sharing a bedroom. Of course, I could be wrong.

I think this family is mostly girls, and the two(?) boys are very young. Maybe things would be different if some of the older ones were boys, but since the girls are changing diapers and bathing these boys anyway it's not such a big deal. It's sort of the same way the older Duggar girls used to share beds with their younger brothers.

I cannot get past the name Organique...

Which by the way may look french but does not mean organic at all. It means something around the idea of coming from living being - related to a living thing. Organic is "biologique" or "bio" for short in French.

So for those who don't live in rat infested cities, know that it is not just a sign of poverty in the San Antonio area. There are rats everywhere, even in exclusive and wealthy neighborhoods there.

*Scratches SA off my list of possible places to live.

So it is my guess that if there are any laws, you would have to grease some palms and have some political backing to get someone to investigate. And frankly, in the city, anyway, there are bigger fires to put out. Resources are thin, and these kids seem well cared for, so no one is likely to say much of anything.

Nothing will happen until a house burns down one night with little kids stuffed into the shelves like so much backstock. And even then, probably nothing will happen, because mai ghod, we cannot interfere with how parents raise their kids, even if they do warehouse them.

Which by the way may look french but does not mean organic at all. It means something around the idea of coming from living being - related to a living thing. Organic is "biologique" or "bio" for short in French.

It actually means that in English as well. I just took Organic Chemistry, which is basically the carbon-based chemistry of living things, and then there are terms like organic matter, etc. She must have found it in a French dictionary and assumed it mean organic as in bearing no artificial additives.

btw, It is against federal law to keep children this way in the US, although no one will really enforce it because OMG--the outcry--Big Brother telling us how to raise our kids!!

I would not want to be on the bottom bunk of that arrangement. She says they are the same size as navy bunks, so remind me not to join the navy!

What I found even weirder was the mom who put the kids in the closet

aspiringtosimplicity.blogspot.com/2010/08/behind-curtain-1.html

Maybe this is because I moved into my first apartment this year and finally upgraded to my 'big-girl bed' (from a twin to a full), but I feel like a 2ft wide bed is not nearly wide enough.

I just want what's best for the kids, since they didn't choose to be part of this lifestyle. So while I would definitely get some good schadenfreude to see the parents get in trouble for neglecting their kids like this, what I want most is for some government or child agency to help them have a decent life, but the parents would never accept that help and that's what is really frustrating. At minimum they could probably qualify for welfare or food stamps with a family of that size, and they could use the extra money to add another room or hire someone to help since they are too busy/lazy to do it themselves.

So I guess I'm more mad about their refusal of help than just their straight-up neglect.

Oh, that picture just makes me sad for those poor kids. That's just awful.

How odd...I lived in San Antonio for 30 yrs and never had a rat problem...my dad still lives there and has no rat problem, never has in the past. Never heard of any friends having problems with them either.

HAHA! It's like Harry Potter!

She one-upped Harry Potter and stuck 3 kids in that closet! I can see Dumbledore having some serious issues with this...

I have checked on the life in a shoe blog a few times and like others mentioned I also got grossed out by some of the things that family does. They are bit worse than some of the other families that have blogs. It seems that they aren't dealing with the rat or insect problems properly and they probably are seeking professional help. I do worry about someone in that family becoming ill because I have heard of rat urine spreading throughout walls and people have become ill from contact with it.

btw, It is against federal law to keep children this way in the US, although no one will really enforce it because OMG--the outcry--Big Brother telling us how to raise our kids!!

I have wondered about this for years and I don't think there is any laws about this. My cousin had a daughter with an ex girlfriend who is now 18. My cousin chose not to be in his daughter's life but my aunt and uncle decided to keep in contact with her. They told us years ago that she lives in 3 bedroom mobile home with 18 other people. Those people are the girl's maternal relatives. Since then I have wondered if there are laws against how many people can be in a small house and I don't think there laws about it.

Oh, that picture just makes me sad for those poor kids. That's just awful.

How odd...I lived in San Antonio for 30 yrs and never had a rat problem...my dad still lives there and has no rat problem, never has in the past. Never heard of any friends having problems with them either.

I guess your family was lucky? The HEB in McAllister park is where I saw the full endcap of rat poison and traps and such, and my friend who lived in that neighborhood in a gorgeous home had to vacate for the exterminator -- a retired military friend who still worked at Brooks. Friends in the NE section, east of 281 and north of the airport had problems. A doctor friend North of Huebner, somewhere between Babcock and I-10 had problems. Friends in Helotes. -- all nicer areas. And then there were the people who I rubbed elbows with at work who mentioned the problem, but I figured it was none of my business.

It also came up in clinical settings where I had nursing students on pediatric rotations in the hospital and in the daycare segments of their training, addressed as a public health issue.

What can I tell you? We lived in the area from '97 - '04.

I have wondered about this for years and I don't think there is any laws about this. My cousin had a daughter with an ex girlfriend who is now 18. My cousin chose not to be in his daughter's life but my aunt and uncle decided to keep in contact with her. They told us years ago that she lives in 3 bedroom mobile home with 18 other people. Those people are the girl's maternal relatives. Since then I have wondered if there are laws against how many people can be in a small house and I don't think there laws about it.

If someone reported them AND the fire department or some such agency came out to inspect, there would probably be a problem in a home with limited space and that many people. Or you would have to invite the agency in to a private home for an inspection. Otherwise, it's a privacy issue, and they have no right to invade a private home.

Archived