IGNORED

(non) Yay - fundie universities in Canada too

tropaka

Agreed. If this university receives public funding, it should be revoked immediately. Alternately, the university could change its policy.

ETA: It appears the school does receive public funding. :naughty:

Are there privately funded universities in Canada? I'm pretty sure there are none where I live (Ontario), I'm not too knowledgable about other provinces education systems and I failed at my attempted Googling just now.

But ya, its public funding needs to be revoked if it's going to have policies like that.

Are there privately funded universities in Canada? I'm pretty sure there are none where I live (Ontario), I'm not too knowledgable about other provinces education systems and I failed at my attempted Googling just now.

But ya, its public funding needs to be revoked if it's going to have policies like that.

Actually apparently there are a few in Ontario, I had just never heard of them, and never knew anyone to have gone to one. There are very few, and they're not considered a mainstream option, as they all appear to be straight up Bible colleges. So now I know why I've never heard of them.

Yes, there are fundie post-secondary institutions in Canada. :( Several of them have internship-type programs that have their students staying in the capital and working for the Tories. A lot of whom are fundy-lite and possibly full-blown fundy (the Tories, that is). I've been reading The Armageddon factor, in case you couldn't tell.

I seem to remember that Emily from under1000permonth went to bible college in New Brunswick. I wonder if it is the same one?

Honestly, I would have expected this in Alberta or Manitoba (no offence to those of you who are from there), but NB surprises me. Who knew there were so many fundies there!

Yes, there are fundie post-secondary institutions in Canada. :( Several of them have internship-type programs that have their students staying in the capital and working for the Tories. A lot of whom are fundy-lite and possibly full-blown fundy (the Tories, that is). I've been reading The Armageddon factor, in case you couldn't tell.

Ah yes. The Harper government is is no stranger to fundiedom, although they try to keep it hidden. I gather that Prime Minister Harper attends a charismatic, evangelical bible church (not all that common here in Ottawa), and it is strongly suspected that one of his cabinet ministers is, for official purposes, still in the closet for fear of losing the support of his party by coming out.

I'm nervous about the way this country is going.

Ah yes. The Harper government is is no stranger to fundiedom, although they try to keep it hidden. I gather that Prime Minister Harper attends a charismatic, evangelical bible church (not all that common here in Ottawa), and it is strongly suspected that one of his cabinet ministers is, for official purposes, still in the closet for fear of losing the support of his party by coming out.

No kidding. The sooner we get Harper out of Parliament, the better.

ETA: I had my fingers crossed for Layton last election, but alas. :(

No kidding. The sooner we get Harper out of Parliament, the better.

ETA: I had my fingers crossed for Layton last election, but alas. :(

Three more years :roll: A lot of damage can be done in that time. I'm putting my money on the Tories opening the abortion debate in parliament.

One of the big survey companies released data last week that if an election were held on that day, it would be a minority NDP government.

I seem to remember that Emily from under1000permonth went to bible college in New Brunswick. I wonder if it is the same one?

Honestly, I would have expected this in Alberta or Manitoba (no offence to those of you who are from there), but NB surprises me. Who knew there were so many fundies there!

Dan and Em met at New Brunswick Bible Institute, according to his LinkedIn profile.

Are you referring to John Baird? Cause that guy has definitely stepped out of the closet? Or are you referring to rumours about Harper.s wife, Loreen, whom, it's been mentioned, is living out of state residence, and currently in a hotel with her lesbian partner. Definintely not sure this one's true, but

john baird has come out of the closet for sure

add me to the list of people worried about this very thing,

edited to add: we have friends/relatives who are part of the political scene in Ottawa or part of the lesbian community in Ottawa and these are true facts.

Stephen Harper is singlehandedly the reason I don't want to move back to Canada. He's destroying everything I hold dear about the country.

So why are Canadian fundy schools not subsidised, but universities are? Or have I got this all wrong. In Australia, it's the other way around. One of the few saving graces of my fundy schooling was that it was required to meet minimum curriculum standards and that the teachers were properly trained. I shudder to think what would have happened if we'd all been homeschooled.

DIdn't someone take Trinity Western to court for the same sort of thing about 10 years ago?

IMHO as an HR professional, the issue is not whether the institution is privately or publicly funded, it is the organization's contravention of the provincial human rights legislation and, by extension, its employment regulations (which state that employment must comply with the provinces HR Act). Therefore, whether funding is received from private, public, or extra-terrestrial sources, proven non-compliance is grounds for sanction.

The problem is that the Act / regulatory scheme is complaint based. I believe Crandall (ABC when I lived in that area) has survived this long because there has been no successful complaint. A complainant would have to prove (s)he was not hired, or an employee prove (s)he was fired, due to sexual orientation. Management always looks for, and documents officially, other reasons. That having been said, I would like to see the NB Human Rights Commission look into this institution, which feels free to publicly state it feels itself above the law.

Edited because it is apparently too early in the morning for proper grammar.

My (former) friend went here http://www.tyndale.ca/about to study piano in 1970 when it was still Ontario Bible College. I can't tell from the web page if it gets government funding, but it says it bestows BA degrees in addition to other religion related degrees.

They turned her from a nice pastor's daughter who was my best friend into a religious fundie nutter who I was no longer capable of having a conversation with.

(e.g. "What's new?" "JESUS is new" "Oh, ok")

So why are Canadian fundy schools not subsidised, but universities are? Or have I got this all wrong. In Australia, it's the other way around. One of the few saving graces of my fundy schooling was that it was required to meet minimum curriculum standards and that the teachers were properly trained. I shudder to think what would have happened if we'd all been homeschooled.

DIdn't someone take Trinity Western to court for the same sort of thing about 10 years ago?

Canada's elementary/high school system is divided into public and Catholic schools. The special dispensation for Catholicism is a holdover from the days when French Canadians were Catholic and Anglophone Canadians were Protestant, so they were effectively Catholic and Protestant schools that allowed French Canadians the right to practice their own religion. A fundie school, being neither Catholic nor non-denominational, would therefore be a private, non-publicly-funded school.

Most Canadian universities, on the other hand, are public universities, and thus partially funded by the government. I'm not sure how a fundie university manages this, because in primary/secondary education public schools must be entirely non-denominational. As in, we had a Winter Festival rather than a Christmas Concert when I was in choir in high school (even though all we sang was religious and secular Christmas carols).

Perhaps because people choose universities rather than going to the one they're in the catchment area for they have more leeway, though IMO all publicly-funded education should be non-denominational.

My (former) friend went here http://www.tyndale.ca/about to study piano in 1970 when it was still Ontario Bible College. I can't tell from the web page if it gets government funding, but it says it bestows BA degrees in addition to other religion related degrees.

They turned her from a nice pastor's daughter who was my best friend into a religious fundie nutter who I was no longer capable of having a conversation with.

(e.g. "What's new?" "JESUS is new" "Oh, ok")

OBC, :puke-front: my parents' alma mater.

I have a friend who grew up on the campus of a Bible college in SK; very Bob-Jones-like, with no touching rules, skirt rules, 12 inches between unrelated males and females rules, etc.

Canada's elementary/high school system is divided into public and Catholic schools. The special dispensation for Catholicism is a holdover from the days when French Canadians were Catholic and Anglophone Canadians were Protestant, so they were effectively Catholic and Protestant schools that allowed French Canadians the right to practice their own religion. A fundie school, being neither Catholic nor non-denominational, would therefore be a private, non-publicly-funded school.

Most Canadian universities, on the other hand, are public universities, and thus partially funded by the government. I'm not sure how a fundie university manages this, because in primary/secondary education public schools must be entirely non-denominational. As in, we had a Winter Festival rather than a Christmas Concert when I was in choir in high school (even though all we sang was religious and secular Christmas carols).

Perhaps because people choose universities rather than going to the one they're in the catchment area for they have more leeway, though IMO all publicly-funded education should be non-denominational.

Isn't it only Ontario, Saskatchewan and Alberta that have publically funded Catholic elementary/high schools? I know for sure they don't have that in Quebec, because that's where my family is from. They used to in Quebec, when my parents were kids, but they haven't for about...10-20 years I think? I know a lot of Ontarians are unhappy with the public funding of Catholic schools, the debate having been reopened because of Gay Straight alliances in Catholic highschools.

Fully or partially funded separate school systems exist in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Ontario. Newfoundland and Labrador ended their separate school system in 1997; it was in existence when I went to school in Atlantic Canada. BC partially funds faith-based and independent schools; the other afore-mentioned provinces fully fund the separate schools. Alberta and Saskatchewan have both Catholic and Protestant separate school boards, although SK's are primarily Catholic. Ontario's funded separate school system is Catholic.

It is widely believed that the recent ON legislation passed this past week requiring all Ontario secondary schools to permit gay straight alliance clubs (and to permit the use of this name for the clubs, which Catholic boards prohibit), is designed to end funding to the Catholic school system.

It is widely believed that the recent ON legislation passed this past week requiring all Ontario secondary schools to permit gay straight alliance clubs (and to permit the use of this name for the clubs, which Catholic boards prohibit), is designed to end funding to the Catholic school system.

Why would that end funding to the separate schools? I thought the goal was entirely to make sure that no discriminatory behaviour goes on at publicly funded schools?

Not being snarky/sarcastic, just genuinely not up on what's going on in my own province lately. :\

Why would that end funding to the separate schools? I thought the goal was entirely to make sure that no discriminatory behaviour goes on at publicly funded schools?

Not being snarky/sarcastic, just genuinely not up on what's going on in my own province lately. :\

It is thought that the Catholic church will not agree to comply with the legislation on religious grounds (i.e. it is incompatible with the tenets of the Catholic faith) and that the end game is withdrawal of funding.

Isn't it only Ontario, Saskatchewan and Alberta that have publically funded Catholic elementary/high schools? I know for sure they don't have that in Quebec, because that's where my family is from. They used to in Quebec, when my parents were kids, but they haven't for about...10-20 years I think? I know a lot of Ontarians are unhappy with the public funding of Catholic schools, the debate having been reopened because of Gay Straight alliances in Catholic highschools.

Oh, maybe. I only really know about Ontario (it's where I grew up), but between that and reading mention of it in other provinces in the past I assumed it was Canada-wide.

Archived