IGNORED

what does SOTDRT stand for?

skrmom

Don't forget Zsuzsu and NonThinking Housewife!

ETA - and Emily and DNA!!

There is already a "Free Jinger Terms" thread that was pretty easy to understand.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8852&hilit=free+jinger+terms

There is the "Ask your Admin" thread in the Ask Me Anything subforum, but newbies cannot access it.

Maybe a "stupid newbie questions" thread in the main forum would be helpful, possibly with instructions on how to use the search feature and ctrl+f?

I have a really stupid newbie question that I've searched and searched for an answer for to no avail (I think my answer must be somewhere on the old board), but I wont ask it there because I don't want to insult anyone with my stupid question or waste an admin's time with an email.

There is already a "Free Jinger Terms" thread that was pretty easy to understand.

http://freejinger.org/viewtopic.php?f=8 ... nger+terms

There is the "Ask your Admin" thread in the Ask Me Anything subforum, but newbies cannot access it.

Maybe a "stupid newbie questions" thread in the main forum would be helpful, possibly with instructions on how to use the search feature and ctrl+f?

I have a really stupid newbie question that I've searched and searched for an answer for to no avail (I think my answer must be somewhere on the old board), but I wont ask it there because I don't want to insult anyone with my stupid question or waste an admin's time with an email.

How about we drop the stupid? Granted, 17,000 posts of "what does SOTDRT stand for" get old, but it's still a valid question.

I like the idea of a stick thread, glasscowcatcher let me know if you need a hand! :D

How about we drop the stupid? Granted, 17,000 posts of "what does SOTDRT stand for" get old, but it's still a valid question.

I like the idea of a stick thread, glasscowcatcher let me know if you need a hand! :D

It's not the 17,000 posts of "what does SOTDRT stand for" that's getting old for me. It's the automatic "you know there's a search function, right" responses that pop up in those threads. FYI, the search function shows every single use of the term not just the threads where it is defined. Common free jinger terms are used often enough that it could take hours to wade through the search results.

Guest Anonymous

I can volunteer to make the thread to be stickied, unless someone else wants to do it. As you can see I have a few gaps that anyone is welcome to fill and other suggestions are goo too :D Also, I alphabetized it to make it easier to find things.

Yay - sounds like a plan! Thank you for volunteering for what will be a mammoth task! :D

NR Anna: Non reversal Anna Maxwell, born before Steve had his vasectomy, and whose name was changed to Anna Marie and it was found unsuitable by the board

That kind of sounds as if NR Anna is one of the Maxwell kids. It's not that she was born before Steve's vasectomy, it is that the other Anna was born after Steve had his vasectomy. However, he then saw the error of his ways and had it reversed. So Anna Maxwell is Reversal Anna. NR Anna is the daughter-in-law of Steve and Teri Maxwell, married to Christopher. The Maxwells changed her name to Anna Marie to avoid confusion with Reversal Anna. Just something to consider.

It's not the 17,000 posts of "what does SOTDRT stand for" that's getting old for me. It's the automatic "you know there's a search function, right" responses that pop up in those threads. FYI, the search function shows every single use of the term not just the threads where it is defined. Common free jinger terms are used often enough that it could take hours to wade through the search results.

Hopefully a sticky thread will eliminate most of the annoyances. :)

Although to be fair, the search function only works about 50% of the time for me.

I think part of the problem with using the search function is that a lot of these terms started on the old board. If you search for "SOTDRT" and find 1000+ posts using the term, it's not helpful if none of them tell you how the acronym came to be and what it stands for. "SOTDRT" is defined on the "Free Jinger: Terms" thread, but there are other memes that I can't find origins for.

I found the old forum on google but can't search it, there are tags listed but I get no results when I follow them.

Do you think it is better to put the person's name first followed by their nickname or to list the nicknames alphabetically and then their real name? In case that is not clear I prepared an example. Which is better, 1 or 2?

1. Michelle Duggar: J'uterus, ofJimBob, DQ, Dairy Queen, Mullet

2. Dairy Queen: Michelle Duggar + explanation

J'uterus: Michelle Duggar

Mullet: Michelle Duggar

I think part of the problem with using the search function is that a lot of these terms started on the old board. If you search for "SOTDRT" and find 1000+ posts using the term, it's not helpful if none of them tell you how the acronym came to be and what it stands for. "SOTDRT" is defined on the "Free Jinger: Terms" thread, but there are other memes that I can't find origins for.

I found the old forum on google but can't search it, there are tags listed but I get no results when I follow them.

That's happened to me, too. I can find plenty of posts with it in USE, but not necessarily DEFINED. Reading through the uses, though, can sometimes help me catch on. Still, it was this thread that defined for me TTH and QFT. SOTDRT, also, I couldn't figure out until that definitions thread awhile ago.

... it's just that people can be so meeeaannn on a snark board and I was afraid to aaaasssskkk... waaaah. :cry:

( :lol: ) :?

Do you think it is better to put the person's name first followed by their nickname or to list the nicknames alphabetically and then their real name? In case that is not clear I prepared an example. Which is better, 1 or 2?

1. Michelle Duggar: J'uterus, ofJimBob, DQ, Dairy Queen, Mullet

2. Dairy Queen: Michelle Duggar + explanation

J'uterus: Michelle Duggar

Mullet: Michelle Duggar

I say nicknames first because that's likely to be what someone will be looking up. Still, that makes it pretty hard for whoever is taking on this task because most of our fundies seem to have multiple nicknames. Maybe some could be defined (Zsu, ZsuZsu, and Zoo, for example, are similar enough that it's not hard to figure out). However, DQ, for another example, is a more obscure reference for anyone who doesn't follow the duggars.

edited because it seems that I didn't pay enough attention in SOTDRT.

Guest Anonymous

Yuku search on the old forum doesn't work for me at all. If I want to reference something from there I google it and add "yuku free jinger" to the search terms. It still involves a lot of wading through, but it's better than nothing.

That's happened to me, too. I can find plenty of posts with it in USE, but not necessarily DEFINED. Reading through the uses, though, can sometimes help me catch on. Still, it was this thread that defined for me TTH and QFT. SOTDRT, also, I couldn't figure out until that definitions thread awhile ago.

... it's just that people can be so meeeaannn on a snark board and I was afraid to aaaasssskkk... waaaah. :cry:

( :lol: ) :?

LOL!!

Well I have seen people get snarked like crazy for posting a question here more than once, even in the "Ask your Admin" thread. Those posters might be PITA's who deserve all the snark they get, but newbies don't know that back story and it can make a person very understandably unwilling to ask a question.

That's why I think a "stupid newbie questions" thread would be helpful. It would be nice to have a place to be unapologetically stupid and new and you can ask any question you want without worrying about people criticizing you, and if they do you can at least say that they were adequately warned. :lol:

Yuku search on the old forum doesn't work for me at all. If I want to reference something from there I google it and add "yuku free jinger" to the search terms. It still involves a lot of wading through, but it's better than nothing.

Thank you for this. I was doing google searches with "free jinger" hoping it would show threads from the old board, too, but it didn't. :D

I say nicknames first because that's likely to be what someone will be looking up. Still, that makes it pretty hard for whoever is taking on this task because most of our fundies seem to have multiple nicknames. Maybe some could be defined (Zsu, ZsuZsu, and Zoo, for example, are similar enough that it's not hard to figure out). However, DQ, for another example, is a more obscure reference for anyone who doesn't follow the duggars.

edited because it seems that I didn't pay enough attention in SOTDRT.

I'd actually say the opposite - have the real name first, then a list of nicknames and explanations. It looks cleaner and would be easier to type up. If someone's searching for a nickname, they can click on the thread, then CTRL+F to find what nickname they're looking for.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8852&hilit=free+jinger+terms

If you want to start a Newbie Questions thread, then go for it, but most members don't want a ton of stuff stickied to the top of the main page. The reason people get a little snappy is usually because someone comes in on their first day and asks a question that could be answered by just lurking a little moar.

I'd actually say the opposite - have the real name first, then a list of nicknames and explanations. It looks cleaner and would be easier to type up. If someone's searching for a nickname, they can click on the thread, then CTRL+F to find what nickname they're looking for.

I was leaning toward the first version myself. It would be waaaaay easier to type and a lot less messy. Plus, you can look all in one place for Smuggar's many many nicknames. I'll start working on that version and see what people think.

If you want to start a Newbie Questions thread, then go for it, but most members don't want a ton of stuff stickied to the top of the main page. The reason people get a little snappy is usually because someone comes in on their first day and asks a question that could be answered by just lurking a little moar.

Yeah I can see that.

Newbies already have a stickied thread dedicated to them, maybe someone could just add more information to that one. Like a link to the free jinger terms thread, and an explanation of how to use the search function. Currently there is just a warning that people aren't going to like it if you start a bunch of threads that have already been discussed, or if you ask questions without looking up the answers first, but it doesn't really tell you how to go about doing that.

i agree that the original definition for NR-Anna is confusing. She is not a Maxwell by birth, correct? She's one of the wives?

I disagree with stratifying them into sub-categories (names, incidents, etc). I think one nice, alphabetical list makes it easy to scan and find the word you're looking for...

if you don't know that SOTDRT is a term and not a nickname or an incident, then you have to look through three alphabetical lists to find it's definition, right?

I think it's better to keep it simple, with one list.

that said, I am the only one who uses it (i think), but i vote to add "EFR: Edited for Riffles".

Guest Anonymous

Yeah I can see that.

Newbies already have a stickied thread dedicated to them, maybe someone could just add more information to that one. Like a link to the free jinger terms thread, and an explanation of how to use the search function. Currently there is just a warning that people aren't going to like it if you start a bunch of threads that have already been discussed, or if you ask questions without looking up the answers first, but it doesn't really tell you how to go about doing that.

The "Dear Newbies" thread is not locked. You can add to it any time you like.

The "Dear Newbies" thread is not locked. You can add to it any time you like.

Yeah, because newbs are going to read through 27 pages of snark about them hoping the next post is helpful.

I'm not going to waste my time.

My only point was that there's no reason for newbs to have more than one thread stickied for them, the one that is currently stickied is not helpful. It's a snark thread. That's fantastic, this is a snark forum. It would be good to add a link to some helpful information to it on the first post, though. You can't expect someone to read through that large of a thread that is clearly not going to be helpful when they're trying to find information about something.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, because newbs are going to read through 27 pages of snark about them hoping the next post is helpful.

I'm not going to waste my time.

My only point was that there's no reason for newbs to have more than one thread stickied for them, the one that is currently stickied is not helpful. It's a snark thread. That's fantastic, this is a snark forum. It would be good to add a link to some helpful information to it on the first post, though. You can't expect someone to read through that large of a thread that is clearly not going to be helpful when they're trying to find information about something.

OK, I didn't get that you were asking for stuff to be added to the first post in the thread. Again though - there is no magical "someone" who can edit threads. You either need to PM/email Alecto or one of the Mods, or make do and add to the thread yourself. I think the Mods have said, many times, that they simply don't have tome to read every thread, so if time is short and you don't want to waste it, it is best to approach them directly.

OK, I didn't get that you were asking for stuff to be added to the first post in the thread. Again though - there is no magical "someone" who can edit threads. You either need to PM/email Alecto or one of the Mods, or make do and add to the thread yourself. I think the Mods have said, many times, that they simply don't have tome to read every thread, so if time is short and you don't want to waste it, it is best to approach them directly.

Well I'm just bouncing ideas around, because this seemed like the thread for it. If every newbie that had an idea sent a PM to the mods then that would be a lot of BS for them to sift through. My first idea was for crap and I'm glad I didn't send it to them. :lol: I don't know if it's a reasonable thing to ask for, that thread wasn't even started by a moderator AFIAK, so they would have to edit someone's post and I don't know if they do that around here.

I have plenty of time to waste, but I don't see the point putting up a post that nobody will read or starting a thread that's going to sink like a rock.

Archived