IGNORED

Buckets of fun and divorce. What makes people live this way

Koala

So through Joanne (http://www.fewtherebethatfindit.blogspot.com/) I discovered her crazy church (http://www.fewtherebethatfindit.blogspot.com/) who is most definitely not obsessed with getting perfectly happy couples to divorce. Examples:

http://www.thechurchofmonett.blogspot.com/2012/05/baptism-in-dominican-republic.html

Griselda and Jose are both pictured below; they were both married before and realized not too long ago that they were living in adultery with each other. They have been apart for several months now and doing all they know how to walk in the light. Sister Griselda is facing trials at work right now because of wanting to follow the bible in regards to dressing modestly and covering her head. Her job is much needed, but we know if she gets fired for following the Lord, he will provide help.

http://www.thechurchofmonett.blogspot.com/2012/04/brethren-in-venezuela.html

Brother René recently got out of a divorced and remarried situation in obedience to Christ's teaching: Whosoever marries her that is divorced is committing adultery. Please pray for him as he strives to follow Christ.

And then of course we have Joanne, who also left her husband so she and her children could go live on church property. As I understand it some of the "brothers" from the church live there as well.

Today Joanne posted about the place of women, and tossed in this quote for good measure:

We have no business wasting our time (wasting the LORD'S time) in such worldly places like amusement parks, movie theaters, dance clubs, concerts, or any thing of the like. Likewise would no one find us sitting in front of the television, wasting time on the computer, or reading fiction books wasting the hours away in fantasy land. Discreet women know these things do not bring glory to the Lord and in fact the Lord hates them.

I'm sorry, what? Now god hates fun? Really?

So here's the question: Why on earth would anyone get involved in a situation like this? Who would want to live that way? I can't even imagine.

Signed,

The person who is about to pack up for a trip to the zoo and McDonalds (otherwise known as fun)!

Griselda and Jose are both pictured below; they were both married before and realized not too long ago that they were living in adultery with each other. They have been apart for several months now and doing all they know how to walk in the light. Sister Griselda is facing trials at work right now because of wanting to follow the bible in regards to dressing modestly and covering her head. Her job is much needed, but we know if she gets fired for following the Lord, he will provide help.

I wonder if Jose was happy with this arrangement. It seems to have been Griselda's idea, and can you imagine your spouse coming up to you one day and saying "Our relationship is adulterous and we should split up"?

We have no business wasting our time (wasting the LORD'S time) in such worldly places like amusement parks, movie theaters, dance clubs, concerts, or any thing of the like. Likewise would no one find us sitting in front of the television, wasting time on the computer, or reading fiction books wasting the hours away in fantasy land. Discreet women know these things do not bring glory to the Lord and in fact the Lord hates them.

She should read Tolkien's "On Fairy Stories". He's probably the wrong type of Christian, being Catholic, but his Anglican friend C. S. Lewis tended to agree with him.

ETA: I read a lot of fantasy. Primarily I do this for fun, but one of the things I love about it is how much it makes me think about things like morality, humanity, and society. For instance, I recently read The Hunger Games trilogy, which raises questions about the ways in which people will justify their behaviour and how easily society and culture can influence people's morality. This is, incidentally, applicable to fundamentalism in that a child raised in a fundie household finds pre-marital sex immoral while another person finds teaching people to avoid pre-marital sex immoral.

Oh, wait. People aren't meant to think for themselves.

I wonder if Jose was happy with this arrangement. It seems to have been Griselda's idea, and can you imagine your spouse coming up to you one day and saying "Our relationship is adulterous and we should split up"?

I was wondering about this too. It's not clear whether this means one or both of them was cheating or there's some contrived "Adultery" in the way they're living their life.

I was thinking about that as well. It must be heart wrenching to have someone you love fall victim to that line of thought. It's almost like a cult.

From what I can remember of Joanne's story, her husband was very good to her after she left him. I think he even paid for a house for her and the children to live in. (I could be mixing my stories up, so don't quote me on that ;) )

I was wondering about this too. It's not clear whether this means one or both of them was cheating or there's some contrived "Adultery" in the way they're living their life.

It means they had been married before to other people. They consider remarriage "adultery".

It means they had been married before to other people. They consider remarriage "adultery".

Oh well that is just sad. I know many people who have a stable marriage the second time around, for whatever reason the first one just didn't work out.

Why, then, Joann, are you on the internet?!

Why, then, Joann, are you on the internet?!
She's not "wasting time". She's "witnessing".

And what exactly do these people think Jesus was doing at the wedding at Cana? Or when he had dinner at Martha and Mary's house? Even Christ just chilled from time to time.

The ending of second marriages (following divorce) is a requirement for full membership in many conservative/old order anabaptist groups. I read a book once about a Catholic couple who lived celibate as "brother and sister" having decided that their post-divorce remarriage was adultery, but not wanting to split the household for the sake of the children.

The ending of second marriages (following divorce) is a requirement for full membership in many conservative/old order anabaptist groups. I read a book once about a Catholic couple who lived celibate as "brother and sister" having decided that their post-divorce remarriage was adultery, but not wanting to split the household for the sake of the children.

Wow,just wow.

I really wonder about the mental health of people who choose to give up their will and self to a religious organization. I believe in a higher power and consider myself somewhat religious but if someone came up to me and told me that I had to leave my fiance or even my cat I wouldn't even consider the notion for a minute.

What level of break down has to occur in someone to drink this much kool aid?

And what exactly do these people think Jesus was doing at the wedding at Cana? Or when he had dinner at Martha and Mary's house? Even Christ just chilled from time to time.

The Lord chilling out and having fun? How dare you ma'am! :naughty:

He even told Martha to chill out, in a nice way. :lol:

He even told Martha to chill out, in a nice way. :lol:
Exactly. But apparently Joanne and cohorts are not content to actually live as Christ lived. No, they need to go one step better. Because we all know how impressed Jesus is by legalistic, irrational standards. ;)

I think I recall one of the blogs from this group where they were given (free) loads of dresses from a conservative Mennonite group, but the modesty factor was unsatisfactory so there was a whole post about remaking the dresses. Which is kind of a major diss of the people that sent them.

I think I recall one of the blogs from this group where they were given (free) loads of dresses from a conservative Mennonite group, but the modesty factor was unsatisfactory so there was a whole post about remaking the dresses. Which is kind of a major diss of the people that sent them.
If Mennonite dresses aren't modest enough for you, you're probably better off in a full habit and/or burqa. Seriously, that's extreme.

Oh well that is just sad. I know many people who have a stable marriage the second time around, for whatever reason the first one just didn't work out.

Like my dad, who divorced his first wife because the marriage couldn't be fixed and has now been happily married to my mom (his second wife) for almost 30 years. But then again they are both sinners and adulterers and fornicators by fundie standards. My sister was almost a year old when they got married.

As some believe, god doesn't recognize divorce, so while you can be divorced legally, in god's eyes you're still married, and are committing adultery is you remarry and have feelings for and sex with someone else.

It seems like sometimes it is the suspension of all humanity.

The Borgs were like the fundies of space on Star Trek. They want to take every culture and assimilate them, eventually erasing all that was unique and special and incorporating them into a huge machine. No independent thoughts or feelings allowed.

Picard-borg.png

Archived