IGNORED

Manga/anime that you are currently reading/watching?

AtroposHeart

Right now, it is mainy Shoujo (I got tired of the typical Shoenen series, a while back) with the Sailot Moon manga and the Shoujo Chara anime/

What about anyone else?

Oh, that's Great Sir !!

Oooh, taking bets on how long it takes for you to reveal your spambot self!

Guest Anonymous
Right now, it is mainy Shoujo (I got tired of the typical Shoenen series, a while back) with the Sailot Moon manga and the Shoujo Chara anime/

What about anyone else?

A friend recently loaned me Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion and I looooooved it. It's heavy on the angst, but I like that.

A friend recently loaned me Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion and I looooooved it. It's heavy on the angst, but I like that.

I absolutely love Code Geass! Have you finished it yet? I love sad stuff and I, literally, grieved after I got done watching it.

There are actually some really funny parodies of Code Geass on Youtube (my favorite is called Code Ment, it's part of the Abridging genre, if you know what that is)

As to what I'm reading/watching, Cartoon Network just revived Toonami last week and started airing the anime Deadman Wonderland. I missed the first episode but have heard good things about it, so I plan on watching tonight. I'm also re-watching the anime Gurren Lagann and re-reading one of my favorite manga series- Banana Fish (another series I grieved after finishing)

Guest Anonymous

I absolutely love Code Geass! Have you finished it yet? I love sad stuff and I, literally, grieved after I got done watching it.

I am finished, I flew through it. Honestly I am thinking of asking if I can borrow it again. I'm not spending money on non-essentials right now, but if I was I would totally buy it. It's super rewatchable, and I'm very disappointed it was only one season long.

There are actually some really funny parodies of Code Geass on Youtube (my favorite is called Code Ment, it's part of the Abridging genre, if you know what that is)

As to what I'm reading/watching, Cartoon Network just revived Toonami last week and started airing the anime Deadman Wonderland. I missed the first episode but have heard good things about it, so I plan on watching tonight. I'm also re-watching the anime Gurren Lagann and re-reading one of my favorite manga series- Banana Fish (another series I grieved after finishing)

No idea about "Abridging," sorry. I'll try and look it up.

Have you watched any of the Gundam series? I like Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed. They're not as dark as Code Geass but they're plenty angsty.

If I'm in the mood for something completely ridiculous I like Ouran High School Host Club.

**ETA: Total plotz on my part, Code Geass was two seasons, (R2) I just watched them one after the other and they ran together.

I am finished, I flew through it. Honestly I am thinking of asking if I can borrow it again. I'm not spending money on non-essentials right now, but if I was I would totally buy it. It's super rewatchable, and I'm very disappointed it was only one season long.

Bandai has the first season, both English dub and sub, on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/show?p=_ibnU74o6y4

No idea about "Abridging," sorry. I'll try and look it up.

Have you watched any of the Gundam series? I like Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed. They're not as dark as Code Geass but they're plenty angsty.

If I'm in the mood for something completely ridiculous I like Ouran High School Host Club.

**ETA: Total plotz on my part, Code Geass was two seasons, (R2) I just watched them one after the other and they ran together.

Abridging is a form of parody dubbing. Basically, people take animated shows and provide their own voices to humorous affect. It started with a guy doing it for the original Yu-Gi-Oh series and spawned a whole bunch of other people doing other shows (fan favorites are Berserk, Yu Yu Hakusho, Sailor Moon, Naruto, DBZ (done by a "all star" voice team compiled from other abridged shows, including the guy that started a genre), etc)

Typically, the humor comes from character traits that are majorly exaggerated from the original shows or deviate wildly from them. For instance, in the Code Ment series, Suzaku is released from being imprisoned after Clovis' death due to scoring a negative on his IQ test (whereas, in the original series, he wasn't exactly stupid- just not the strategic genius Lelouch was) Also, Lelouch's flair for the dramatic from the original was amped up to 11 and, in the abridged series, he pretty much runs completely on Insane Troll Logic (examples of which are when he concludes he is magical and can probably fly, when he tries to convince C.C. that British people don't exist, his Skype call with Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law (in which he threatens to kick Jude Law's ass), and when he chooses Kallen to pilot the Guren Knightmare Frame because she was the only one who could come up with something better for a weapon than his idea of a gun that shoots chainsaw bullets (her idea was a gun that shoots guns that shoot chainsaw bullets))

*coughs* Uh… not that I’m a fan of the genre or anything… :oops:

I did watch Gundam Wing back when it was on Toonami. It’s amazing because when I first watched it (back in, like, middle school) I was all about the yaoi pairings and fanfiction. Then I re-watched it years later and suddenly realized, “Holy shit! Politics, philosophy, and strategy! Where the hell did this come from?â€

I never got much into Gundam SEED, not sure why. I wonder if that’s on Youtube somewhere… I never saw Ouran High School Host Club either (I think it came out right about when I backed off my interest of anime and manga… plus it always seemed like such a “girl showâ€. I was reading Hellsing and Berserk and all the gory “boys’ mangaâ€) For a few years I went with only seeing one or two anime (like Gurren Lagann and Monster) but for the last year or so I've kinda gotten my interest in the genre back.

Guest Anonymous

That sounds hilarious valsa, I will have to check some of them out. Thanks for the Code Geass link, too.

I didn't think that I would like Host Club, either, but my partner begged me to watch it and I surprised myself by enjoying it. It's funny in a cracktastic, utterly ridiculous, constantly breaking the fourth wall, kind of way. It's campy, but totally aware of its campiness. It might not be your cup of tea at all, but if I'm having an awful day it makes me laugh so I like it.

My favorite animes are the ones with politics, intrigue, mobile suits, and explosions though. I remember liking Evagelion (not as much as Gundam Wing or Seed) but it's been a long time since I've seen it.

I've been reading Rosario to Vampire lately, and I really like it. It's been a while since I read anything that wasn't yaoi, but I've been enjoying keeping up with Tsukune and Moka. I also really like Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.

This was probably your gateway drug, but I've been watching Hayao Miyuzaki movies with my offspring.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I've been watching Code Ment and laughing myself half to death. It's great, thanks valsa!

"This rice ball tastes like wet G.I. Joe!"

I liked Evangelion as anime and Battle Royale as manga. What can I say? I'm retro :P

Did some nifty art of both of them...

It's not exactly Manga, but I just read Persepolis 2 and am now reading Maus Volume 1.

The latest manga I read was Full-metal Alchemist.

Guest Anonymous
I liked Evangelion as anime and Battle Royale as manga. What can I say? I'm retro :P

Did some nifty art of both of them...

JFC, you did Evangelion fanart? If you did I would love to see that!

I'm reading Cardcaptor Sakura! I want to try to read all of pre-Tsubasa and XxxHOLic manga before I start up on the series... I hardly re-watch any anime I like (which is weird) but I'm re-watching Bacanno. I'm also starting to get into One Piece; in which I'm way behind. I also love Hetalia. OMG Valsa; you're an abridged fan too? * high faves * Have you watched None Piece yet? I also really like that genre; too. * sorry for the long ramble * :oops:

I did do Evangelion fanart :) Pokemon too. I'm not too clever artistically but it worked.

Soul Eater :oops: My obsession. Makes me giggle and cheers me up when I'm having a bad day.

Recently finished Genesis of Aquarion, which fun, but your enjoyment of it will go down withe every mecha show you're familiar with. Currently reading Deadman Wonderland, which is fairly dark, but oddly fun. Or maybe I'm just a sick puppy that way. :)

I read Naruto, One Piece, and Toriko and I watch the One Piece anime. One Piece is my favorite. I like the character designs and the story really pulls me in. I like that Eiichiro Oda, the mangaka, will call back things that were mentioned hundreds of chapters ago.

Guest Anonymous
Random Question: Any advice for good manga for little kids? Think early-elementary-school-level.

The most kid friendly anime I can think of is Avatar: The Last Airbender. My sister is pretty conscious of what her kids watch and she lets her eight year old view it.

As an added bonus, I think it's good! As far as written stuff, I'm not sure.

I like several series, including Sailor Moon, Sorcerer Hunters, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Witch Hunter Robin. I haven't seen all of Witch Hunter Robin because Netflix is missing some discs. I've seen the live action Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon eps on YouTube and I'm cautiously looking forward to the new Sailor Moon reboot.

Archived