IGNORED

The Blatant Hypocrisy of Mercy Morecraft

DomWackTroll

Mercy Morecraft went to an Owl City concert and posted pics on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Funny, but I don't see her parents Joe or Becky in those photos. And if I had a million dollars, I'd bet ALL of it that they weren't there, chaperoning her. Um, isn't Mercy supposed to stay at home, under her father's authority? Not Matt Chancey's authority? And certainly not Owl City's authority? I've honestly never seen any other Dominionist gal "get around" the way she does, and I want to know why she is allowed to actually go out and have fun while the daughters of her father's followers live a life of drudgery and boredom.

It would be very difficult to have someone by your side every moment of a concert. Not a chance she had a chaperone right there, and "somewhere in the area" doesn't count. But she's a wise woman who traveled to Africa, so she's superior to the rest of the fundies....

Yeah, she' also enrolled in college -- a real one, not CollegeBullshitPlus -- and apparently lives on her own (or at least not under daddy's headship).

Remember, if you're an A List fundie of the VF persuasuion, it's "Do as we say, not as we do, and fork over the money so we can keep telling you what to do."

Yeah, she' also enrolled in college -- a real one, not CollegeBullshitPlus -- and apparently lives on her own (or at least not under daddy's headship).

Remember, if you're an A List fundie of the VF persuasuion, it's "Do as we say, not as we do, and fork over the money so we can keep telling you what to do."

Yeah, she's either a hypocrite or being groomed to be a member of royalty (who are all hypocrites). The Chanceys took Mercy to Africa with them, and Jennie not only went away to college and got a degree, but got a regular job, which is how she met Matt, yet their own daughters won't get to go to college since it's evil for all except the royal members.

I don't think the Morecrafts are into some of the SAHD stuff to the degree the Botkins are. Even in fundieland, there are differences of degree and opinion. I don't know them personally, but from what I see, the Morecrafts strike me as being somewhat like the most of the fundies I grew up among - very strict homes but they sent their kids (even the daughters!) to college. There's a huge emphasis on modesty and not "giving away pieces of your heart", but while it's a weird social environment, it's not completely cloistered. It's hard to describe to someone who hasn't lived it, but it was a lot like VF without the SAHD/lack of college twist to it.

"Mercy Morecraft is the youngest daughter of Joe and Becky Morecraft. Mercy delights in serving in her parents’ home in Canton, Georgia, and also enjoys freelance photography."

http://www.visionforumministries.org/is ... not_da.xml

In any Vision Forum PR stuff, the Morecrafts use very slippery language to give the impression that Mercy is a stay-at-home daughter, but never actually use the phrase "stay-at-home daughter." Hell, I "delight in serving in my parents' home" on Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I ain't no stay-at-home daughter.

Jennie Chancey's 'no college' mantra obviously didn't rob off on Mercy during her days in Africa. I wonder if Joe and Becky sent her there because she was becoming to independent and rejecting the fundy life. Jennie could have hired a local women to be a nanny since she is all about providing jobs for them. Maybe close observation into a life with many children and being constantly pregnant was too much for Mercy and she ran for the hills.

Jennie Chancey's 'no college' mantra obviously didn't rob off on Mercy during her days in Africa. I wonder if Joe and Becky sent her there because she was becoming to independent and rejecting the fundy life. Jennie could have hired a local women to be a nanny since she is all about providing jobs for them. Maybe close observation into a life with many children and being constantly pregnant was too much for Mercy and she ran for the hills.

Yeah, it seems odd to me though that Jennie would let her daughters associate with anyone who might put the idea into their heads that maybe girls can get some sort of education though, and maybe make her sons learn that women aside from their mom have brains. Maybe the Morecrafts lightened up afterward? I just can't see Jennie having anyone live with her who would be anything other than a meek, submissive, happy-to-be-uneducated woman-child.

I think the reason the Chanceys took someone with them was because it would take time to get set up and hire a nanny when the point of taking Mercy at all was because they needed someone to help them wrangle their kids while getting set up. Once they were set up, they got rid of her and started in on their cheap African help. It probably cost more each day to feed Mercy what the family ate than Jennie pays her employees.

The "no college" mantra is something the fundie royalty publicly espouse - but rarely apply to themselves - and something the fundie plebs espouse to make themselves feel superior about their lack of postsecondary education (either because of ability or because they can't afford it). Can't go to college? It's not a tragedy... it's actually God's will!

Just look at how many fundies harp on about their college educations - Beall and Doug Phillips, Jennie Chancey, Voddie Baucham, Stephen (of Meredith Alexander fame)... I can't think of any others offhand, but you get the gist.

Archived