IGNORED

Patriarchial mania for photography explained.

MamaJunebug

From ScottBrownOnline.com

Good photography is a way to honor God, to capture history, to tell the stories of the past, to showcase creation, to portray biblical aesthetics, and to pass on to the coming generation the lessons and life of their fathers.

I'm getting confused: God is our Father but God is also our fathers?

No, I don't think so. Confusion cleared. For me and my house, anyway. :eusa-think:

Anyone feeling especially missish had best not go to ScottBrown to see the photo of "the virtues" paying homage to a Confederate soldier and ... oh, well, I know you're gonna go. I'm just shaking my head in disbelief.

Enjoy.

Why does everything that fundies do have to please God? Can't they just enjoy their hobbies; or are their hobbies seen non-Godly in their fundie community so they have to explain that their using their hobby to show how they believe in God?

Shouldn't it be "lives" of their fathers?

And speaking of that sentence, are the lives of the mothers so unimportant? Oh hell, look who I'm talking about. Never mind.

From ScottBrownOnline.com

I'm still stuck on 'biblical aesthetics'. Judging by what I read about how God wanted the Temple to look, biblical aesthetics tend to the extremely garish. Not like the fundy bloggers' homes at all, from what I've seen. I mean, not that their taste is always necessarily mine, but there's a lot less gold-plated everything with pomegranites.

I'm still stuck on 'biblical aesthetics'. Judging by what I read about how God wanted the Temple to look, biblical aesthetics tend to the extremely garish. Not like the fundy bloggers' homes at all, from what I've seen. I mean, not that their taste is always necessarily mine, but there's a lot less gold-plated everything with pomegranites.

My reformed fundy edumacation did actually include being taught about 'biblical aesthetics.' It was when I started to spit the koolaid, so I spent more energy rolling my eyes and laughing at it than actually allowing it to clutter up valuable space by remembering. I seem to recall it had a lot to do with golden ratios and regarding the Dutch Masters to be the absolute pinnacle of artistic achievement. Picasso was ungodly and Jackson Pollack was postmodernist (and therefore, of the devil.) It went along with the rock music is of the devil and the church organ is the only sacred instrument school of thought. :roll:

Why does everything that fundies do have to please God? Can't they just enjoy their hobbies; or are their hobbies seen non-Godly in their fundie community so they have to explain that their using their hobby to show how they believe in

God?

Hey now, that be heathen talk! Everything they do, from baking that first batch of muffins in the morning, to changing that last diaper at night, is holy and righteous! There are no exceptions. Praise Him! Except for what was in the diaper, and the by-products of previous said muffins. That is vile and of Satan, as are all bodily functions.

Seriously though, I have no clue. My guess would be guilt of actually getting pleasure out of something, so they must somehow justify it.

You and me both.

I suspect for a lot of fundies, "Biblical aesthetics" is about their very American/patriotic/"classical" McMansion type homes with "country" decor, and the homesteading garden going on outside. Plus babies and of course the daughters in their Victoriana.

Just think Vision Forum Catalog.

Hey now, that be heathen talk! Everything they do, from baking that first batch of muffins in the morning, to changing that last diaper at night, is holy and righteous! There are no exceptions. Praise Him! Except for what was in the diaper, and the by-products of previous said muffins. That is vile and of Satan, as are all bodily functions.

Seriously though, I have no clue. My guess would be guilt of actually getting pleasure out of something, so they must somehow justify it.

And its correlary when for some reason they are unable to do the hobby anymore (usually lack of money) is, "God has laid it on my heart and convicted me that [said hobby] is not Christian. So now no one must do it!"

Why does everything that fundies do have to please God? Can't they just enjoy their hobbies; or are their hobbies seen non-Godly in their fundie community so they have to explain that their using their hobby to show how they believe in God?

because they have to suck up to the man. Did god give him a atta boy for taking those pictures? I think it is just a way to justify doing what they want to do and not feeling guilty about it.

To these people, life is merely a waiting room adjacent to the afterlife. By "glorifying God" with every action/thought/word (I still do not know how a human being can give glory to a deity), they hope to ensure that they make it into Heaven. Enjoying life for its own sake is definitely of Satan.

I always figured the "glorifying God" through household drudgery and also hobbies talk was a way of keeping believers happy with their limited lot in life. If they believe they are glorifying God by changing a poopy diaper, or taking a picture, it really elevates those things.

I think they prefer photography because, in their minds, it consists of reproducing approved subjects (with the bonus that if anything appears imperfect, it can be photoshopped), and doesn't allow for a lot of ungodly self-expression the way painting or drawing might. Also, it doesn't take hours of study and practice--you just get a cheap camera and snap away. Plus it's really easy to post on your blog.

Of course, if they actually studied great photographers, they'd find that it is an art that requires expert knowledge and can be just as expressive, original, personal and individualistic as any other art. But since when do they try to understand anything in depth? Snapshot-sized snack bites of "art" are all they can stomach.

Archived