IGNORED

Mary Maxwell is working to graduate early for...what?

kpmom

I think a big part of this is just so Steve can brag about it. He wants to look like he's so much better than all those public-school heathens that his perfect godly daughter will graduate early. Then clearly patriarchal homeschooling is the superior option and his kids are smarter than everyone else's. I really do think this is about bragging rights, just like everything else fundies do, in spite of their claim to modesty.

Yes.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Steve-O aware that in many countries (the UK included), public-school heathens leave high school at 16 anyway? It's not that special, and there must be plenty of Sheldon Cooper types that graduate public school in the US early too.

Enjoyed this comment on their blog;

Jennifer D says:

May 31, 2012 at 2:09 pm

What joy to be homeschooling Mary. She truly is a beautiful young woman in many ways! I love the purity of all the children!!! Homeschooling one and waiting on grand babies…. the abundant life with Christ is so sweet.

Last night, I was laying in bed about to fall asleep when all of a sudden a reality hit me and I woke my husband to share my discovery. When our oldest graduates from high school, the following year our gift in the womb will be starting Kindergarten. My husband was up for the next hour his mind going :) Personally, my mind was drifting into pleasant thoughts of teaching a little one again when my other children will be just about all grown. Again, the abundant life with Christ that takes the sweetest of turns we never would have imagined on our own.

May this time with Mary be precious!

How can Jennifer D. see the "purity of all the children!!!"? And if she and hubby are just now figuring out their oldest will be finishing up high school as their "gift in the womb" will be starting kindergarten, they might want to get somebody else to teach math to their kids.

"For what" is the right question. To graduate early to take a year off before college traveling or volunteering, or to graduate early because you've been accepted into a college program you're interested in, or to graduate early because you're not sure what you want to do and it makes sense to shadow some professionals and do some research, or to graduate early because you're in a private school and tuition is a killer (my reason)...all of these things make sense. But to graduate early to polish kitchen cabinets, clean for grandma and grandpa, watch nieces and study the Bible...what a waste of a life.

There's no doubt we'll soon be reading another "the Lord isn't calling me toward college" post. And that's the real shame of it. Not that everyone has to go to college, but, if children are a gift of the Lord, and they don't want to turn down a gift, isn't intelligence also a gift of the Lord? Musical or artistic talent nurtured by professional teachers? Curiosity? A sense of adventure? Why is it the only gift of the Lord these people seem so all-fired anxious to receive are babies??

With two new babies coming (and 2 little girls), there will be plenty of work to keep Mary and Anna busy.

Or maybe Terri just wants the free time to enjoy her grand kids.

I think that is exactly right. Mary is finishing early to help her sisters in law with the little ones.

They sew, so they can get jobs at places making custom clothing and alterations. It's not a huge business, but there are a few shops in my town. Probably not amazing wages, but a living.

Alternatively they can try to open such a business on their own.

Luckily they do all have high school diplomas. The way it works in Kansas is homeschooling is a one-family private school, basically, so they all have diplomas from the Maxwells' school, I forget the name but it's "babbling brook Christian school" or something like that. Anyway, they have that, so if they were to REALLY run off the rails, they're free to sign up for normal community colleges without any special interventions. (Assuming they've left home, of course!!) Plenty of career tracks there.

Also there's always retail. Thing is of course there's plenty of competition given the state of the economy and the wages are therefore not so great, assuming you're lucky enough to get the job.

I'm not sure in reality how helpful Maxwells' School diplomas are if they have transcripts with not much more than Bible listed. I can't see any of them getting into university or community college without tons of remedial work.

I wonder what will happen to Teri after Mary "graduates" from her SOTDRT. She won't be having anymore babies, no more homeschooling.....she can't even have Pepsi. I think she will sink back into a terrible depression.

I'm not sure in reality how helpful Maxwells' School diplomas are if they have transcripts with not much more than Bible listed. I can't see any of them getting into university or community college without tons of remedial work.

Community college by me takes any high school diploma or the GED. So they could get IN - once in, they very well might need to take plenty of remedial stuff before getting to the things that actually count for a degree, depending on their skills.

Same with the retail or food service gigs - they have a diploma, the piece of paper, so they're qualified to START. Whether they could successfully hold the job, working with others, all the rest of it, that's a different question.

But they're lucky to not need to jump through the GED hurdle before they can do anything else, is all. They satisfy the "okay, got the paper, check" robot requirement.

The Maxwells have deliberately crippled their kids - those kids will never be in the real world. They wouldn't know where to start.

So by virtue of living in a location that accepts diplomas over transcripts they are saved. Good thing for them. Where we are, post-secondary schools ask for transcripts showing prerequisite courses successfully completed. GED's are acceptable but looked down upon. Or you can wait until you are 21 and apply as an adult student and then do any necessary remedial work. Some do this to find out what they are missing and then go back to the high schools to do the remedial work. Otherwise they have to pay for the same classes at community college.

Whatever. I'm so glad I'm not a Max. :pray:

The Maxwells have deliberately crippled their kids - those kids will never be in the real world. They wouldn't know where to start.

Agreed. What a shame. What the heck happens when Steve drops dead or starts showing signs of dementia? I look at his eyes and see the same early hollowness there as is present in dementia patients. Do they have a big fat insurance policy to keep it all afloat?

Agreed. What a shame. What the heck happens when Steve drops dead or starts showing signs of dementia? I look at his eyes and see the same early hollowness there as is present in dementia patients. Do they have a big fat insurance policy to keep it all afloat?

That is definitely going to be the interesting question. Given their ages, it seems Mary might have a chance at actually doing something else - if it all falls down the tubes when she's still fairly young, she can maybe get some start somewhere.

There's been some wondering in other threads about just where some of their income comes from NOW - their various businesses just don't seem all that prosperous, judging from the dead websites and all, and the conference gigs are falling off. Makes you wonder if there was some fat severance when Steve-O "came home."

But yeah, I'm eternally grateful I'm not a Maxwell, too. Definitely right on about that! :pray:

That is definitely going to be the interesting question. Given their ages, it seems Mary might have a chance at actually doing something else - if it all falls down the tubes when she's still fairly young, she can maybe get some start somewhere.

There's been some wondering in other threads about just where some of their income comes from NOW - their various businesses just don't seem all that prosperous, judging from the dead websites and all, and the conference gigs are falling off. Makes you wonder if there was some fat severance when Steve-O "came home."

But yeah, I'm eternally grateful I'm not a Maxwell, too. Definitely right on about that! :pray:

I'm sure there was some "severance" for Stevie. I used to work for the same company he "severed" from and knew a lot of people in Legal and they said employees sue them all the time for all sorts of things and that the litigation expenses are sometimes just too much so they just pay out. I'm SURE Steve probably started a harrassment case. My friend in Legal said those are the most common.

No, they don't swim. Even if they are wearing modest swim attire, there are too many scantily clad people at the beach/pool posing a serious risk to... whatever.

The BuckHale family "solved" this problem while on their cross-country trip, by requiring the kids to swim (fully clothed, of course, because even for teh mens, nothing beats swimming in chinos and a polo shirt) in the middle of the night when all the sluttily dressed people at the campground would be safely sleeping. 1:30 AM. Just the thing.

Later they stayed at a hotel where the pool had just been opened for the season (they were permitted to be the first to use it, sounded like) so no other guests would possibly be in it, and it was also at night. So there they are, business casual in the pool. :shock:

The BuckHale family "solved" this problem while on their cross-country trip, by requiring the kids to swim (fully clothed, of course, because even for teh mens, nothing beats swimming in chinos and a polo shirt) in the middle of the night when all the sluttily dressed people at the campground would be safely sleeping. 1:30 AM. Just the thing.

Later they stayed at a hotel where the pool had just been opened for the season (they were permitted to be the first to use it, sounded like) so no other guests would possibly be in it, and it was also at night. So there they are, business casual in the pool. :shock:

Let's remember when the Buck/Hales used the motel pool, the boys swam separate from the girls. :roll:

Let's remember when the Buck/Hales used the motel pool, the boys swam separate from the girls. :roll:

O.M.G! This is...beyond my comprehension! I just have no words for how utterly pathetic/rediculous/insert own WTF here that is! I mean, they seriously think the brothers are so attracted to their sisters??? Yes, incest occurs and it's horrific, but it's almost like these people are setting the kids up for it by taking such extreme measures. At some point I imagine there are men who just decide "well, not my fault for thinking that way about my sister, so..." :shock: I know I'm not stating this nearly as coherently as I wish, but SERIOUSLY WTF, PEOPLE?!

O.M.G! This is...beyond my comprehension! I just have no words for how utterly pathetic/rediculous/insert own WTF here that is! I mean, they seriously think the brothers are so attracted to their sisters??? Yes, incest occurs and it's horrific, but it's almost like these people are setting the kids up for it by taking such extreme measures. At some point I imagine there are men who just decide "well, not my fault for thinking that way about my sister, so..." :shock: I know I'm not stating this nearly as coherently as I wish, but SERIOUSLY WTF, PEOPLE?!

The Buck/Hales are not all related by blood, so I suppose it's not incest they're worried about, but still, it's pretty out there.

The Buck/Hales are not all related by blood, so I suppose it's not incest they're worried about, but still, it's pretty out there.

Two Buckingham girls have already married Hale boys, after no touch engagements, so I would think they would be pretty strict about gender segredation.

I'm just going to assume so she will be free to change diapers, warm bottles, and practice until Steve brings her home a husband. I guess this is her post-graduation internship :roll:

Also the Hale half of the Buck/Hales were raised to take a bath with (at least) their underwear on - they bragged that they've never seen a naked human body, even their OWN. Just... wut? (I suppose they must put on a dry shirt before they take off their wet tighty-whities.)

And yeah, they spend a lot of time handling wet laundry as a result, apparently.

Archived