IGNORED

Evolution is just imagined

dairyfreelife

jennysblessednest.blogspot.com/2012/05/evolution-faith-vs-fiction.html

One thing I find interesting is the mention of Darwin's personal issues. Given that Darwin's family was Unitarian, I doubt he was exactly on the warpath against God, but even if he were bitter and evangelical about atheism...so? We don't believe in evolution because Darwin was a nice guy, we believe in evolution because of almost 200 years of scientific research. This issue came up with the germ theory denialist fundies we talked about in other threads, who claimed that Pasteur recanted his germ theory on his deathbed. Even if that happened (which it didn't)...so? What is it with fundies thinking that when an established gentleman of the 1800s says something, science stops? What is it with their thinking that who says something is more important than what is said?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like that post doesn't allow people to comment. Someone afraid of being proven wrong and having to use her brain?

"Evolution is just imagined."

Tell that to someone in the hospital dying from a drug resistant strain of bacteria.

As an atheist *and* a lesbian, I'd like to know the answer to that same question!

1) Buy bread and milk

2) Take out the garbage

3) Gain public acceptance

Ah, thanks for the explanation ^_^ It's been a while since I studied science.

Crassy nailed it. We know gravity exists and it can be quantified using equations, which makes it a law. However, there is still theory around some of the aspects of gravity (the why?). We can't quantify evolution, although there is a lot of evidence supporting the theory.

I guess, for the simple-minded, it's just makes so much more sense that some imaginary being snapped his fingers and the world was created.

If Ross could lend out his "briefcase of facts" I'd be a happy girl:

cXr2kF0zEgI

What is it with fundies thinking that when an established gentleman of the 1800s says something, science stops? What is it with their thinking that who says something is more important than what is said?

The whole basis of religion is faith. You cannot test it, you cannot quantify it, you cannot prove it. Because of this the fundamentalists are trained to judge the value of something based on who said it-- it is the only "test" they have as to something's worth. If it is in The Bible, it must be true. If (insert a chosen man of God) says so, it must be true. Scientific testing is meaningless to them, as is logic.

Think about the sort of brain you must have in order to believe that Noah's story really happened in exactly the way the Bible tells it. Think of all the logical inconsistencies to the story-- I could probably come up with 50 off the top of my head. Anyone who has chosen to believe that The Bible is The Word of God and completely accurate without metaphors or fables must have a mind that is completely closed to all scientific inquiry.

I like to point out to fundies that heliocentricity is also just a theory, one that the Christian church rejected for a long time because it contradicts the Bible.

I'm still waiting for one of these people to give me anything to back up how the bible is solid, indisputable fact. I've had one person ask me where do I think the trees came from, that they are proof of god. I told him trees came from seeds, which came from other seeds, and asked where he thinks god came from. He didn't like that. He insisted god's always existed, which I said couldn't be. He said it makes more sense than a big bang suddenly making life, and I told him that I don't pretend to know with any certainly how it all started because we don't fucking know, and that I think that the notion of god is just a cop-out way to explain away the things for which we may never have answers, but that there is solid proof of evolution happening.

A cool-story-bro story: A couple years ago I was talking to my husband about evolution and how I just had a hard time believing it (though didn't believe creation) because why would only some primates have evolved into us. He told me that those living in a certain area where certain traits are more beneficial to survival will evolve differently than those in an area where different skills are needed. I literally face-palmed because that just makes so much sense.

If Ross could lend out his "briefcase of facts" I'd be a happy girl:

cXr2kF0zEgI

THANK YOU! I was looking for this video the other day!

I'm still waiting for one of these people to give me anything to back up how the bible is solid, indisputable fact. I've had one person ask me where do I think the trees came from, that they are proof of god. I told him trees came from seeds, which came from other seeds, and asked where he thinks god came from. He didn't like that. He insisted god's always existed, which I said couldn't be. He said it makes more sense than a big bang suddenly making life, and I told him that I don't pretend to know with any certainly how it all started because we don't fucking know, and that I think that the notion of god is just a cop-out way to explain away the things for which we may never have answers, but that there is solid proof of evolution happening.

A cool-story-bro story: A couple years ago I was talking to my husband about evolution and how I just had a hard time believing it (though didn't believe creation) because why would only some primates have evolved into us. He told me that those living in a certain area where certain traits are more beneficial to survival will evolve differently than those in an area where different skills are needed. I literally face-palmed because that just makes so much sense.

The galapagos finches are a good example of this. The have different beaks depending on what food source is available where they are.

Ah, thanks for the explanation ^_^ It's been a while since I studied science.

It has been a while for me but I love arguing on the internets so I have an arsenal of information tucked away in my brain, clouding over information I actually need. That and I live in a new housing development so we get bombarded with Jehovah's Witnesses. I keep this stuff handy when they come to the door and start blathering about creation. :D

And she throws in Pascal's Wager as a bonus!

I think one could win at Fundie Bingo just reading that post.

Anyone who has chosen to believe that The Bible is The Word of God and completely accurate without metaphors or fables must have a mind that is completely closed to all scientific inquiry.

even worse they use that science to further their beliefs and make their lives easier. so it is severe denial going on. And we wonder why they are so hateful.

I like to point out to fundies that heliocentricity is also just a theory, one that the Christian church rejected for a long time because it contradicts the Bible.

History. It repeats itself.

If you want to blow your own mind, consider that *something* has always been here. There was no beginning to time, whether you believe in a God or not. Sometimes I think about that and suddenly feel so small and helpless in the great cascade of events, kwim? There was no "in the beginning" because there was something before the beginning. Matter can neither be created nor destroyed.

I happen to be a theist, but the same beauty and the same smallness of human life remains no matter what you believe. I believe religion attempts to makes us bigger, more important. But look around the universe. Just look around. We are so very small, and all we have is each other.

It looks like that post doesn't allow people to comment. Someone afraid of being proven wrong and having to use her brain?

Yep. 'Cause it did yesterday. I commented. So I went to see if she had replied, or if the comments were suddenly gone, and saw this:

**Sorry: Comments have been closed due to the unwillingness of "intelligent" folks to share without getting offensive/emotional.

*Abiogenesis, the idea that life sprang forth from non-living things {such as clay crystals, hypothesized by Graham Cairns Smith} has been a life-origin hypothesis given by evolutionists including Richard Dawkins who used the 'clay hypothesis' as an example of abiogenesis in his book, The Blind Watchmaker.

For the clay crystals to actually 'create' life within themselves - since they are non-living - would take a little... *magic* :)

Abiogenesis is no longer widely accepted. This means that the idea of 'primordial soup' - where non-living things are imagined to have produced life while soaking in a warm pond together - isn't a viable answer to life's origin anymore, either.

Everything from the first "Abiogenesis" on down is in teeny, tiny print for some reason. I couldn't read it until I posted it here.

Now, I don't know who else commented, but I was in no way offensive or emotional. I asked her to imagine that evolution was true, and asked her whether she'd want to know, if that was the case. Then I went back and asked her "What are these magic crystals of which you speak?" That's it.

Actually, I just learned in cell biology about clay forming micelles, which eventually can begin an early form of metabolism and start on that long, long path to being alive.

Just because a fundie, with their limited knowledge and intellect, cannot understand something *it does not mean it did not happen*. But abiogenesis has nothing to do with evolution, because evolution is a behavior of living organisms.

So I went to see if she had replied, or if the comments were suddenly gone, and saw this:

Hm -- with the quote marks, that sounds like the people on her side of the argument were the ones being offensive/emotional. :lol:

I was that person in biology who was like "creatures evolved in the same order they are listed in Genesis!!!"

I wish fundies could see that there is no contradiction. Genesis is a Bronze Age description of evolution. Blow duh mindz.

Seriously, evolution is so beautiful. It is elegant and wonderful. It also is the basis of all life science, so suck it fundies. I am not giving up teh eebil science just because your minds are too small to wrap around a theory of this magnitude.

This is my stance. Genesis isn't written as a textbook on evolution, it's just the fable that sits alongside it as an expression of human wonder at how awesome nature (and therefore God) is. Parables are clearly important to how God expresses Himself.

Everything from the first "Abiogenesis" on down is in teeny, tiny print for some reason. I couldn't read it until I posted it here.

That doesn't sound like the correct definition of abiogenesis.

*looks it up*

I'm right, it's not. Abiogenesis is the study of how life could have arisen. There are many hypotheses of how life DID arise which are all within that same framework of "abiogenesis". I know this because the whole question has been bugging my younger niece all flipping year. She can't get over the concept of once there were no people, now there are people. (But unlike certain parties she recognized quite independently that "god started it all!" doesn't answer the question, it just pushes it back a little further. She's six, and yes, we do think she's one of the two greatest things ever!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

Abiogenesis is no longer widely accepted

Since when?? Brb, going to tell my prof to stop teaching it and I am currently in a lecture discussing it right now. Balls!

I am also going to toot my own horn here and say that she disabled them because of my response. I wrote this HUGE reply out to her point out where she was wrong. LOL.

Abiogenesis is no longer widely accepted
:angry-banghead: That's right, evolutionary biologists all became creationists overnight. Bravo.

Since when?? Brb, going to tell my prof to stop teaching it and I am currently in a lecture discussing it right now. Balls!

I am also going to toot my own horn here and say that she disabled them because of my response. I wrote this HUGE reply out to her point out where she was wrong. LOL.

Oooh, what did you say? Were you mean?

Archived