IGNORED

Love not Hate

deelaem

That was the over-riding theme of today's protest against the hate speech of Pastor Worley. It was amazing, y'all. There were over a thousand people out there, and the energy was incredible. I was blown away by the amount of support that was given to us by people driving by. Sure, we got some haters, but all we did was tell them that we love them. I'd say the percentages were 80/20, 80% supporters and 20% haters. The Bible thumpers were sorely outnumbered. They had their usual signs about hell and AIDS, etc. They were pretty pathetic. Some of them had the nerve to dress up a teenaged boy like he was gay so he could pass out water bottles with tracts attached to them. I threw mine back at him. How sad, though, that they would use a kid that way.

I don't know if there were any other FJ'ers there today, but if you were I'd love to hear from you. I myself got interviewed by a local news station, although I don't know if I'll make it onto the broadcast or not. There is this one picture of a middle-aged feminist and her sign... ;)

Maidenprotest3.jpg

ETA: source of this picture is WCNC news. Don't want them to sue me!

I'm glad that there was such a good turnout. I'd meant to get up there, but I got a late start. Dog and cats duty didn't help my schedule any.

Some of them had the nerve to dress up a teenaged boy like he was gay so he could pass out water bottles with tracts attached to them. I threw mine back at him. How sad, though, that they would use a kid that way.

I'm afraid to ask how he was dressed. I'm trying to think how a fundy would assume a gay teenaged boy would dress?

Since they're at least several decades behind the times, Boy George?

I was there with my son and husband (they were under the trees in the shade part of the time). We had a big gray & black stroller and my son had a small sign he was holding at times that said "God â¤'s All" on one side and "Love All People" on the other. I was wearing a teal/blue printed top and a purple shirt, with a matching headscarf, son is blond and had on a blue shirt and jean shorts, and the hubby was wearing a dark red polo short with jeans and has very short graying hair. I haven't seen any pics with us in them yet.

Penny Sycamore - 's ok, I know all about dog and cat duty! We know you were there in spirit. :D

kpmom - the boy had the Justin Bieber hair, skinny jeans, rainbow belt and bracelets. I guess that's as gay as they allowed him to get. :lol:

experiencedd - that's awfully cool of you to say, your welcome and thank you.

Raine - ok, I saw your husband and child, I remember distinctly because I was so glad to see children there. I was across the street, partly to be closer to the hate-mongers and partly to be in the shade. As you can see from that pic my fair skin was frying! Wasn't there just such a great feeling of love everywhere? It gave me such a high. <3

What that man said was ignorant and hateful. Thanks to Raine and deelaem for sacrificing your day to stand against the hatefulness.

I'm in NC, too, but I sacrificed my day babysitting my 4-month-old great-niece. :)

We planned on going, but like I said in my thread, I have a nasty sinus infection and can't even sit up without getting dizzy at times. :(

Archived