IGNORED

Wives do not need to be happy or loved

Cran

Great discussion. IMO, Christianity has a very weak moral and ethical foundation essentially because it downplays accountability to other HUMAN BEINGS. It doesn't seem to matter that Jacob impregnated slaves who don't have any say in the matter. It doesn't seem to matter that Leah was given away to a man that never loved her. I'm reluctant to even call these people "sinful". They just didn't know any better, and neither did their "all-powerful" god. I wouldn't want to see Jacob "punished" as much as I'd like to see him get an earful from someone with reasonable ethical standards.

So 'husbands should love their wives like christ loves the church', but if he doesn't, it's okay because god still loves you? Sure thing. Love that fundie logic hard at work.

Rules only apply to women, duh :roll:

"Like Christ loves the church". Does that mean he gets to screw1 with the church, both figuratively and literally? That analogy has always seemed weird to me. So has the sheep/shepherd one. I mean, a shepherd does not keep his flock because they are his warm little fuzzie wuzzie babies. He keeps 'em because his family needs to eat and have clothing and shelter. Think lamb chops and wool sweaters folks.

1 Really really wanted to use another word here.

I don't get it when Christians display this attitude. You can't square up the idea that everything is a part of God's plan, and it's all laid out in advance, with the idea that prayer can change things or activities like abortion or homosexuality, which God is trying to call the people away from, can damn a nation.

I...didn't bring up predestination? All I said was that everyone has the potential to be used by God for good things and that redemption is possible for everyone, and imo this takes faith and works both. I personally do not hold to a Calvinist-type view regarding God and predestination. You can be a Christian and *not* believe that everything down to the last detail is all planned in advance.

Treemom, there are many people of faith on this board. I do not see why explaining what I believe and defend it is a bad thing. I'm hardly a fundie.

Yes, I know there are people of faith on this board. But I think the idea of a messed up person working towards god's glory as pretty lame. And that concept and the corrallaries justifies a lot of fundie behavior,

And my view of fundie is a lot broader than most here...so don't be so sure that you aren't one to me.

Archived