IGNORED

Maxwell Tidbits

Rosie

I found a couple of blog posts about visiting the Maxwells:

buckhalefamily.blogspot.com/2012/05/day-23-may-1-2012.html

buckhalefamily.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2012-05-05T22:38:00-07:00&max-results=7&start=17&by-date=false

This morning we rose at 5:45 in order to be ready for the Radon Club’s physical fitness exercises! (The Maxwell’s have been doing strenuous physical fitness exercises as a family for a long time and ended up naming themselves the Radon Club!) The girls did their exercises at 6:45 AM and then the guys had their turn at 7:15 AM.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ooo good sluething!

We travelled a lot as kids, never do I remember having a daily briefing. But then there were only four of us, not eleventy billion.

Radon? What does that signify? Was he like the Richard Simmons of the Bible? And why can't the brothers and sisters exercise together? It's kind of disgusting to assume they will be defrauded by each other. Yuck.

I found a couple of blog posts about visiting the Maxwells:

buckhalefamily.blogspot.com/2012/05/day-23-may-1-2012.html

buckhalefamily.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2012-05-05T22:38:00-07:00&max-results=7&start=17&by-date=false

This morning we rose at 5:45 in order to be ready for the Radon Club’s physical fitness exercises! (The Maxwell’s have been doing strenuous physical fitness exercises as a family for a long time and ended up naming themselves the Radon Club!) The girls did their exercises at 6:45 AM and then the guys had their turn at 7:15 AM.

w00t! Thanks for this. I always enjoy seeing pictures of the Maxwells taken by someone other than them.

Wouldn't the Maxwell blog be more interesting if they blogged about this sort of thing? "We had some visitors from out of town..."

And yeah, that visiting family looks huge in their 'family briefing." I'll have to check out their blog.

Is there generally radon in the Leavenworth area? Maybe it would refer to that? But it seems kinda out of character for them to care about that sort of thing.

I counted 11 males excluding the apparent father and 8 females. Can't seem to find the apparent mother. The Maxwells fed them all, twice, that I can see. Nothing like having a dozen or so drop in for lunch is there?

Briefing :lol: Head count, don't you mean?

Mary is wearing lipstick in the photo in the kitchen with Sarah and Anna. How did that get past Stevo? Is he maybe lightening up a little? He is allowing them to curl their hair, which I think would be an idol in only a short amount of time. Hmmm...

I wonder if they are a his and hers family? They refer to themselves as the Buckinghams and the Hales. Seems mighty suspicious.

And holy hell, they played "family games" together! I didn't think that kind of thing was ever allowed at the Maxwell home. Well, I guess it's okay as long as no one had any fun.

And I googled "radon fitness" and got how radon gas can kill you! Perhaps not what they mean.

Mary is wearing lipstick in the photo in the kitchen with Sarah and Anna. How did that get past Stevo? Is he maybe lightening up a little? He is allowing them to curl their hair, which I think would be an idol in only a short amount of time. Hmmm...

Maybe Steve is pimping her out to a son?

I counted 19 non-Maxwells.

Ugh, in another post the women are "swimming" (wading?) in their prairie jumpers and shirts. I swear it's like these people have a secret competition going on to see who can do the craziest things to "out-modest" the other ones. There are moisture-wicking long sleeve shirts that have high collars. One of those with some long board shorts provides the same coverage without looking so ridiculous. Heck, if you really wanted to, you could wear a wetsuit under the board shorts and just say it's for 'warmth'. Don't go neck-deep in water dressed like freaking Laura Ingalls.

I've often wondered if the Maxwell kids even know how to swim. And what's scary is that EVERYONE should know how to swim -- it's a life skill. But if the only experience they have ever had is wading, what should happen to one of them if their canoe tips over or something? Among other things, dresses aren't safe in the water -- they are wet and heavy and restrictive. There is a reason lifeguards are trained wearing jeans -- because they are being trained to save lives. But to put your daughters in water in frumpers is just stupid.

Ugh, in another post the women are "swimming" (wading?) in their prairie jumpers and shirts. I swear it's like these people have a secret competition going on to see who can do the craziest things to "out-modest" the other ones. There are moisture-wicking long sleeve shirts that have high collars. One of those with some long board shorts provides the same coverage without looking so ridiculous. Heck, if you really wanted to, you could wear a wetsuit under the board shorts and just say it's for 'warmth'. Don't go neck-deep in water dressed like freaking Laura Ingalls.

Hey, Laura was less crazy than that. When she went swimming she wore a short-sleeved dress without anything underneath (going from the illustration I remember!)

Mary is the one who is going to bust out of there. She's not waiting around for John Marie as much as I think there was some effort to pair those two up. She's making sure all available males who wander onto the compound notice her. Looks to me she's just squeezed her lips together to make them appear more red.

Poor Sarah. Did she borrow one of the nieces hairbands?

Mary knows where it's at. Sarah, not so much.

The Buckinghams went to the Great Sand Dunes in those long skirts. I have been to the Great Sand Dunes (it is awesome, I will happily recommend it, the museum is good too if you're not a creationist) and it was hard hiking around there in JEANS!

Also during this trip their daughter Jerusalem got engaged (April 28th). Seems that the fiance is travelling with them, not sure about how that works as I did not read all the details (perhaps they picked him up when they visited his family, and then he just did the rest of the trip with them? Does that mean he's moving to Alaska? Or what? Ah, no time to read this now but!!)

Also, the engaged couple are shown visiting a former house in one of the Maxwell posts. They've only just gotten engaged, and are already wearing matchy-matchy clothes.

Great find, Rosie!

Now, I noticed some males in the group who could be courting age. Any of them look to be Sarah's age? Of course who knows who is single, married, etc. They showed a picture of Jacob and Jerusalem (Jerusalem!). Are they brother and sister?

Married? Courting? Who knows.

I also had to laugh at the blog post thanking the Maxwells for making their time there productive. Yes, we wouldn't want anyone just sitting around shooting the breeze after not seeing each other for 20 years now would we?

ETA: Oh I see, Jacob and Jerusalem (Jerusalem!) are engaged. Thanks garden variety citizen, I missed that. So I guess one family is hers and one is his?

This confused me. Attack of the SOTDRT?

Start: Wayne Fitzgerrell State Park, IL

Stop: Maxwell’s Home, Leavenworth, Kansas

Distance Traveled: 20 minutes

Now, as a native Missourian, I can attest that we're not THAT big, but I'm pretty sure it takes more than 20 minutes to drive across us.

This confused me. Attack of the SOTDRT?

Now, as a native Missourian, I can attest that we're not THAT big, but I'm pretty sure it takes more than 20 minutes to drive across us.

According to Google it would take 6 hours and 23 minutes at least.

Maybe the bus is really a TARDIS in disguise.

Great find, Rosie!

Now, I noticed some males in the group who could be courting age. Any of them look to be Sarah's age? Of course who knows who is single, married, etc. They showed a picture of Jacob and Jerusalem (Jerusalem!). Are they brother and sister?

I also had to laugh at the blog post thanking the Maxwells for making their time there productive. Yes, we wouldn't want anyone just sitting around shooting the breeze after not seeing each other for 20 years now would we?

ETA: Oh I see, Jacob and Jerusalem (Jerusalem!) are engaged. Thanks garden variety citizen, I missed that. So I guess one family is hers and one is his?

Jacob and Jerusalem? Oh my. Wonder what there kids will be named? I'm also wondering how the Duggers missed Jerusalem as a name.

also, distance is not measured in minutes.

That can be debated... But yeah.

Great find, Rosie!

I did a double take when I saw that poor girl was named Jerusalem. I love the female version, Jerusha, much better. I first heard it from an old movie, "Hawaii" with Julie Andrews.

Who would have known they were engaged by their awkward facial expressions and obvious "room for the Holy Ghost" between them ;)

Archived