IGNORED

Things Quiverfullers Like

GenerationCedarchip

As a companion to the book list we compiled a few pages back, here is a list of suggested materials straight from one of the quiverfull sites. Even though a steady diet of this would make my head explode, I do find it interesting to get windows into how that crowd thinks. Here's the link:

www.quiverfull.com/resources.php

Guest Anonymous

I'm VERY surprised that "Cheaper By The Dozen" made it onto their list, which tells me that whoever selected it just saw the blurbs about a mega-family but didn't read any further. Otherwise, they would have found scads of things that fundies hate:

The parents, Frank and Lillian Gilbreth, were equal partners in their business enterprises.

Lillian Gilbreth had just completed her master's degree at the time of her marriage, and went on to receive her Ph.D after her husband's death.

Frank and Lillian saw to it that all of their children, sons and daughters alike, reeived college educations if they wanted them.

There's a scene near the end of the book where the oldest Gilbreth sons were teaching their tomboy kid sister, Jane, how to flirt.

The eldest Gilbreth daughter, Anne, attended college and later married a doctor she met at school.

The oldest Gilbreth daughters ditched their 1890's bathing suits (this was the mid-1920s by now) and were applauded for their good sense by their mother.

Most of all, neither Gilbreth parent suffered fools, although Lillian is repted to have been slightly more tactful than her husband.

Cheaper by the Dozen has a very feminist slant...always cracks me up that quiverfulls love it. At least the movie did...never read the book.

Frank and Lillian saw to it that all of their children, sons and daughters alike, reeived college educations if they wanted them.

As I recall, the Gilbreths actually insisted that every one of their dozen children get a college education.

Also, at least according to Cheaper by the Dozen, Frank was decidedly NOT Christian and had no interest in church.

Of course, he did try to keep his daughters from dating and in the day's equivalent of frumpers so...

Still the Gilbreths definitely do not embody the qualities of the quiverfull movement.

Guest Anonymous
Cheaper by the Dozen has a very feminist slant...always cracks me up that quiverfulls love it. At least the movie did...never read the book.

Hopefully, you mean the very earliest movie, with Clifton Webb. You would definitely enjoy the book and its sequel, Belles On Their Toes. As for quiverfullers, their brains go into vaporlock once they see that the characters are a family with twelve children and they don't bother to read any further.

Yes, the original movie with Myrna Loy. Great movie! I also enjoyed the movie sequel..it was even more feminist slanted.

Yes, the original movie with Myrna Loy. Great movie! I also enjoyed the movie sequel..it was even more feminist slanted.

Same with the book sequel, the basis for the movie sequel ;) (I'm pretty sure... I've never seen the movie).

But basically the plot of the book is Lillian Gilbreth raises her 11 children and sends them to college while succeeding at having a career in what was considered a man's field.

Because of the title I thought this would be something similar to "Stuff White People Like". It would be enjoyable if someone were to make a quiverfull book in the same vein.

Because of the title I thought this would be something similar to "Stuff White People Like". It would be enjoyable if someone were to make a quiverfull book in the same vein.

There is the Stuff Christians Like site. It was started by Jon Acuff a few years back. He said he was inspired by Stuff White People Like and that he decided to a similar satire blog for Christians. It is very interesting site to visit because a lot of Jon's posts are very true but his target audience is more mainstream Christians. He is affiliated with Dave Ramsey and does work with him at fiance events. I think he has mentioned the Duggars a couple of times on his site.

I agree it would be interesting if there was a site or book on what quiverfulls like. My pics would be

-skirts

-polo shirts

-buttown down dress shirts

-modest swimsuits

-strict gender roles

-buddy systems

-long permed hair

-home perm kits

from lilwirter85 with my editions:

Stuff quiverfulls like:

-long, full, homemade skirts

-polo shirts (good for fun and sleep!)

-buttown down dress shirts

-swimsuits that look like wetsuits with dresses attached

-quiet, submissive women

-men who are manly!!!!

-accountability partners

-long dry, wavy hair with straight bangs

-home perm kits

-denim, in skirt or jumper form

Let's not forget the names. Biblical/Hebrew names, with bonus points if you manage to cram a virtue in there as well.

I have a coworker who is QF and his wife had their 8th child this week...named Tirzah Grace.

-tattertot casserole

-mountain dew and snickers (according to Boob)

-ATI

-Wisdom Booklets

-SOTDRT

-Homeschool conferences

-Saving your first kiss until you are married

-staying away from the evil college (unless it's College Minus).

-tattertot casserole

-mountain dew and snickers (according to Boob)

-ATI

-Wisdom Booklets

-SOTDRT

-Homeschool conferences

-Saving your first kiss until you are married

-staying away from the evil college (unless it's College Minus).

- courtship

- homebirth

- Rushdoony

- purposing to do things

- weddings with hours of preaching and no liquor or dancing

- SAHDs

I put up http://stuffquiverfullerslike.blogspot.com

I hope no one minds- if I upset anyone here by being so bold, I will be happy to transfer it to you.

Would y'all mind if I used your items? I need a blogging project, and I'd be happy to do this as entertainment for FJ. If anyone wishes to guest post, please do send me a PM!

- courtship

- homebirth

- Rushdoony

- purposing to do things

- weddings with hours of preaching and no liquor or dancing

- SAHDs

-Chickenette

-80's hair

-Pimping out kids

-Pregnancy tests

Same with the book sequel, the basis for the movie sequel ;) (I'm pretty sure... I've never seen the movie).

But basically the plot of the book is Lillian Gilbreth raises her 11 children and sends them to college while succeeding at having a career in what was considered a man's field.

Dr Lillian Gilbreth did the very first scientific study of menstrual products back in the late 20s. The Museum of Menstruation page won't open for me at the moment of else I'd post a link.

Quiverfullers may like Cheaper By The Dozen because of that one scene in the movie where the woman from Planned Parenthood comes to call. In real life, Frank, jr was a big supporter of abortion rights as was Myrna Loy.

-Chickenette

-80's hair

-Pimping out kids

-Pregnancy tests

- celebrating birthdays with activities inappropriate for the celebrant's age

- lots and lots of processed foods

- making the kids do ALL the housework while parents "date"/blog/procreate

- advice on parenting and marriage given by someone who's never experienced either

- (teens and up) sharing bedrooms with all siblings of the same gender

- advice on parenting and marriage given by someone who's never experienced either

-going with the in-laws to book signings even when 8+ months pregnant

-leaving a preemie with the older children while going on a mission trip

-flip flops even when hiking in a foreign country while serving a mission

This is super fun!

-Kirk Cameron

-Ken Ham

-Having your daughters mother their younger siblings

-Having toddlers sleep in pack and plays rather than cribs or beds

-Naming your brood with the same letter (May be Duggar exclusive)

-Thinking only praise music and hymns are acceptable

-Broomball

-Buliding your own house

-Buying as many things used as possible (unless you have the good fortune of getting a TV show)

-Having blogs to "minister" to others

Just saving your first kiss for marriage? WHORES!!!

- No touching until marriage, preferably with a six inch buffer zone

- Speaking of ^, fast-food restaurant proposals (may be exclusive to you know who)

- Leaving tracts in place of tips

- Turning around "offensive" magazines/books

- Witnessing in general

- Aforementioned blogs containing Victorian art found on google images

- The Victorian Era in general, or any period which necessitates a fun costume

- For that matter, military regalia not earned through military service

- Polo shirts/button-down blouses

- Fictionals

-Giving marriage advice when you're a newlywed

-Pontificating on the biblical method of doing anything and everything under the sun

-Claiming to be persecuted

-Taking dominion

-Labeling everything outside of your worldview as Marxist

-Frumpers

-Wide stances

-Cosplay

-Having your followers fund your expensive vacations and then charging them to watch videos of said vacations

-Elsie Dinsmore

-The Confederacy

-Puritans

-Revisionist history

-Movies put out by Sherwood Baptist Church (e.g., Fireproof, Courageous, etc.)

-Worshipping the Duggars

Archived